PDA

View Full Version : KAC URX or RAS

amac
04-13-11, 19:32
May have been cobered, but my 'search' tab wouldn't function. So, what's the difference and which is better? Is it worth switching from the stock URX to a RAS? as best I can tell, the attachment is the only noticeable difference.

jonconsiglio
04-13-11, 19:39
On an SR15? Why would you want to change out the URX if so?

WEC
04-13-11, 19:54

Agreed, need more info on the build to give a useful answer. But if it's on a stock SR-15, keep the URX on there and don't look back.

amac
04-13-11, 19:58

Yes, on an SR15. I assume it is made to fit the SR15. Knights wouldn't make something if there wasn't an improvement involved, right? Ultimately, what I want to determine is is it worth changing to?

amac
04-13-11, 19:58

Yes, on an SR15. I assume it is made to fit the SR15. Knights wouldn't make something if there wasn't an improvement involved, right? Ultimately, what I want to determine is is it worth changing to? If so, why.

amac
04-13-11, 20:15
I'm having a dejavu moment.

jonconsiglio
04-13-11, 20:25
If you're talking about the free float RAS, there's no advantage over the URX for the SR15. If you go with the one slightly shorter than your URX and add a front sight, you'll be just a bit heavier. If you go with the 11.5"(?) long version and add a front sight, you'll be at least 3 or 4 ounces heavier.

I can't see any reason to change out your URX, especially to the RAS. I could see changing out for an even lighter rail that was shaped different that maybe you were used too, but not this.

Just my opinion though as I don't currently own a RAS to compare side by side. If anything, the only rail I'd change to on my SR15's would be the rifle length URX III.

Seeing as I just sold my LW URX II because I didn't think it was that much of an improvement over my URX II's and I don't care for that particular slick rail set up, I probably won't go to the URX III. Then again, I change my mind hourly.

Jonathan

mtdawg169
04-13-11, 23:09
The URX II offers lighter weight, built in QD attachment points, continuous top rail, removable bottom rail and a built in front sight. There's no way I would take a step backwards to the older tech RAS unless it was on a Mk 12 Mod 1 clone from Monty and even then, I'd have to think real hard about upgrading to a URX.