PDA

View Full Version : First time IDPA tips

RD62
04-13-11, 20:21
Hey guys!

I don't normally post in this section. In fact I don't think I have EVER posted in this section.

However, one of my New Years Resolutions was to finally begin shooting IDPA this year.

I joined my local club this week, and will be shooting my first ever match a week from Saturday.

I will be competing with a box stock Glock 17 (with factory night sights and a "plug") and a Comp-tac Infidel IWB and two Comp-tac single mag pouches.

Any tips from you more experienced in IDPA for the first timer?

Thanks!

Hersh
04-13-11, 21:00
Tell the guys at the club it's your first match. At my club we always do a "first timer" briefing and go over the basics. The main thing is to practice safe gun handling.

As for the actual match, some of the rules are BS and frustrating, but it's a game and thems the rules.

Have fun!

DCsampson
04-13-11, 21:21
What Hersh said and.......I find that I do much better if I know my limits and stay within them. If someone shoots a stage before me blazingly fast and I think to myself "I'm going to beat that score", I usually screw it up. If I just focus on tracking the front sight and the trigger press I'll typically post a better score.
Good luck!

sadmin
04-13-11, 21:38
Move fast, shoot slow. Make all your time up between transitioning to other positions and dont worry about shooting fast until later. Have fun, chances are very good you will not be last place; there are some real characters around.

theblackknight
04-17-11, 17:18
I dont know how many vids youve watched on youtube of guys blazing thru stages, but make sure you see your front sight for every shot. USPSA types usually point shoot or only get one sight picture per array or target, but the way IDPA is scored makes getting all your hits Down Zero more important then a blazing stage time.

azidpa
04-17-11, 19:35
read and become very familiar with the rules.

RD62
04-23-11, 15:31
Hey Guys!

Shot the match today and it went well.

I'll let you know how I did once they post the scores, but I definitely wasn't last.

I wasn't the fastest, but I didn't drop a lot of points on poor shot placement, shooting non-threats, or procedurals.

I'll be back to for the next match next month and will be completing my IDPA membership shortly.

Thanks for all the tips!

Hersh
04-24-11, 09:10
Hey Guys!
Shot the match today and it went well.
Thanks for all the tips!

Glad you had fun!

madisonsfinest
04-24-11, 09:58
Sweet! Standing by for the update

RD62
05-01-11, 18:50
Just got the match results via email.

I finished 4th out of 13 shooters in SSP Unclassified.

I was so wrapped up in not violating the 180° rule on the 3rd stage that I didn't step far enough into the room to see a second target in the window and got a Failure to Neutralize penalty. If not for that I would have finished squarley in third. That WONT happen again.

I also know I need to slow down a bit. I dropped a few points on a couple targets that would have more than made up for a second or two.

I can't wait for the next match!

madisonsfinest
05-01-11, 20:33
Congrats! Well done

CleverNickname
05-02-11, 13:04
Good job. FWIW, I've found that my overall times are lowest if I get an average of about 1 point down per target on the stage. Shooting more accurately takes longer and adds too much time to my raw score and shooting less accurately adds too much time from points down to make up for a faster raw time.

Now go take the classifier, and take the plug out of your grip. It does nothing but prevent you from putting your thumb in there to pry out a jammed magazine.

RD62
05-28-11, 21:13
Just thought I'd give you a little update.

Got my membership info back from IDPA and shot my second match today. Memorial Day weekend seemed a fitting time. I was pretty happy with the improvement in my performance as I dropped only about 1/3 of the points I did in my first match. And no procedural, Hits on non-threats, failures to neutralize, etc. They waived the concealment requirement today due to the heat and humidity, but I shot from concealment anyway as I figured I need the practice.

I'll let y a know how I did once I get the rankings.

Have a good Memorial Day!

Backstop
05-29-11, 11:38
Decide what you want from the sport.

Do you want to use it as competition, score the best you can, and advance through the Classifications?

Do you want to use it as training?

I chose the latter.

Been a member of IDPA for about 8 years, yet I remain Unclassified; I'm not concerned about using the sport as competition.

I'm more concerned with accuracy, using cover correctly, thinking through the CoF rather than running, etc.

Depending on the CoF, I've been known to rack up an impressive amount of Procedurals. Mostly because I reload where I think it's necessary and many times that doesn't agree with the CoF.

I shoot with a great bunch of guys, some of who do the same as I. So I'm not labeled a rebel of sorts.

My shooting scores are usually pretty good, but my times bring me down.

I generally place in the top half of my pistol division, although the last match I placed 6th out of 28 in SSP. It's rare I place in the top 10.

aveisone
05-29-11, 12:01
You simply cant miss fast enough. Take your time. Dont worry about the timer. Even as you progress, it only adds to your stress level.

Concentrate on your hits and your course of fire. Know where you are moving to next, how you are reloading, when you are reloading, what you have to shoot first, how to use cover properly, etc. Speed will come naturally with experience.

Most important is safety. Muzzle awareness! Listen to the RSO. Dont anticipate his commands. Have fun with it.

RD62
05-29-11, 19:05
Decide what you want from the sport.

Do you want to use it as competition, score the best you can, and advance through the Classifications?

Do you want to use it as training?

I chose the latter.

Been a member of IDPA for about 8 years, yet I remain Unclassified; I'm not concerned about using the sport as competition.

I'm more concerned with accuracy, using cover correctly, thinking through the CoF rather than running, etc.

Depending on the CoF, I've been known to rack up an impressive amount of Procedurals. Mostly because I reload where I think it's necessary and many times that doesn't agree with the CoF.

I shoot with a great bunch of guys, some of who do the same as I. So I'm not labeled a rebel of sorts.

My shooting scores are usually pretty good, but my times bring me down.

I generally place in the top half of my pistol division, although the last match I placed 6th out of 28 in SSP. It's rare I place in the top 10.

Excellent post and one of the reasons I shot from concealment yesterday. I try to train/practice/compete like I would in reality. I know IDPA is a game, but I also think it can be a viable training tool providing creative "problems" to solve quickly under stress. I think it also provides shooting, reloading, and movement scenarios I may not otherwise think of or practice on a static range. It's also low cost and encourages me to get to the range more often (like I should).

I have a LE background and it's hard to switch off the use of cover, scanning downrange, etc. Not that I should switch these off, but it does make me slower than some competitors, although it provides me with more realistic "training" for real life. In two matches I have received several comments on my movement and use of cover.

Thanks for the advice, it's good to remember.

RD62
05-29-11, 19:10
You simply cant miss fast enough. Take your time. Dont worry about the timer. Even as you progress, it only adds to your stress level.

Concentrate on your hits and your course of fire. Know where you are moving to next, how you are reloading, when you are reloading, what you have to shoot first, how to use cover properly, etc. Speed will come naturally with experience.

Most important is safety. Muzzle awareness! Listen to the RSO. Dont anticipate his commands. Have fun with it.

Good post too. My IDPA motto is "shoot slow, move fast". That's what I tell myself before and during each stage. I know dropping points and re-engaging targets is going to cost me time and on the street possibly get me shot or killed. I try to balance the "game" and my competitive nature with good sound tactics and a training opportunity.