PDA

View Full Version : Trijicon MRM

FChen17213
04-14-11, 11:44
I see that they're actually making a 3.25 MOA one now. Has anyone considered using one of these as a primary optic? I know that these were pretty much designed as backup close range optics for larger scopes, but I don't see why it can't be used like a T-1 or EOTech on a carbine if it's got a 3.25 MOA dot. I know it's self-proclaimed from them, but it does seem pretty durable.

Yeah, I meant RMR. Do they make a model that you can adjust the intensity on? If they don't, I don't think I'm too interested......nevermind I'm going to look that up now.

kwilkin
04-14-11, 12:10
Assuming you mean "RMR"?

I have on one my SR-15 upper (actually sold my Aimpoint M2 to get it). It works great for a primary optic assuming you have an appropriate mount. It's light and durable. I noticed the weight difference immediately compared to my Comp M2 with Bobro mount.

FWIW, I have the RM04, which is a 7 MOA dual-illuminated amber dot. It's very easy to pick up, glows bright in light or darkness, and doesn't wash out as long as the brightness of the target isn't too great.

I admittedly haven't shot it yet (just got it Tuesday), but I plan to use it as my primary <100m optic on this carbine. Some might say the 7 MOA dot is too big, but at close ranges it doesn't really matter. Sure, the 3.5 MOA might be preferable for some, but I chose dual illumination over battery powered. And if I want to go to farther distances I have my TA31 ACOG for that.

The biggest issue right now is mounts. I like the RM34 tall picatinny mount offered by Trijicon--they can be had for about $75; I think [it] looks better than the tall ADM (personal preference), but I had to give up QD. That said, as long as you can consistently torque down the RM34 mount, it should return to zero fine. In the meantime, I'm going to wait around for a Bobro mount.

Kchen986
04-14-11, 12:26
My biggest gripe with these optics is that you have to remove the optic from the mount base to replace the battery. I suppose it's inherent in the design, and maybe you can reattach it w/ no zero shift, but I have no idea.

kwilkin
04-14-11, 12:33
My biggest gripe with these optics is that you have to remove the optic from the mount base to replace the battery. I suppose it's inherent in the design, and maybe you can reattach it w/ no zero shift, but I have no idea.

This is true, which is another +1 for the dual-illuminated RMR. It his its own costs, though, such as not being able to manually increase the dot's intensity.

Hayseed_40
04-22-11, 08:07
How do the batteries last on the LED ones?

How is durability as a primary optic (compared to the Aimpoints)?

What have been some of the experienced downsides as a primary optic?