PDA

View Full Version : flat footed and trying to join the marines....

_Reign_
09-30-07, 01:39
recently i have gave a lot of thoughts about joining the military, i am currently in college and considering either ROTC or more likely, just straight up enlisting in the marines. anyhow, i am flat footed, probably got the genes from my dad and this seem to be giving me problems for enlisting.

however, i was on x-country in high school for 2 years, winning the city champ with them in one of those years. my feet hurt like hell after every practice/race, but i never let that stop me from practicing or competing. our hardest practice was called "indian run", where we run in a single file around a reservoir (2.2 miles) twice (not pavement but hilly/rocky sections) and this is after a 1 mile warm up, and the guy at the end of the line would have to jog up to the front, and every guy at the end of the line after him would have to do so as well.

while my family does not have a strong military tradition, we had our shares of servicemen, granduncle in the military for 7 years, cousin currently in the navy. and some of my closest friends are in ROTC and also west point and annapolis as well.

i talked to an army recruiter who said i basically have no chance of joinning, and this seems like really bad news....anyhow, would it be helpful say if i go to a station and enlist?? i never wanted to do anything as much as joinning the marines.

This Guy
09-30-07, 06:52
If you go talk to a Marine Corps recruiter I'm sure he'll do his best to help you enlist. Sometimes a recruiter can offer a waiver to help someone get in if they don't meet all the requirements, but there is no guarantee of that being a possibility.

Part of the enlistment process is a medical screening, and they do check to see if you have flat feet.

Now this is just speculation but, with the new Commandant's plan to expand our forces to a little over 200,000 Marines, you MIGHT not have too much trouble getting in. Don't quote me on that.

If you have your heart set on joining, your best bet is to talk to a Marine Corps recruiter face to face. He'll be able to give you a better assessment.

S/F

ETA: Recruiters fill a lot of their quotas from highschool graduates in the summer, and college students after the fall semester. So if you've been turned away, you might keep in mind that they do have that quota to fill, and go back when they're having more of a dry spell.

cpd670
09-30-07, 07:09
Flat feet shouldn't be a problem. I served my time with the Marines and every physical I went to I heard "flat feet". Now that I'm hitting 40 I'm starting to have problems with arthritis in my big toes.

If I had to do it all over again I would stick it out in college and go into the ROTC. As a zero you get a lot higher pay and a little better living conditions.

gunny
09-30-07, 09:33
Hey hardcharger. There is no comparison to being a Marine. None. You can be a Marine with flat feet. You just have to suck it up. I have flat feet & got through 12yrs active duty. Bear in mind, however, the docs at MEPS that do your physical will d-qual you from Marine Corps or Army service if they observe that you have flat feet.

I still laugh at this over 20yrs later, but when I contracted into the PLC program for commissioned service & later had another physical (the same one as a matter of fact) for enlisted service after loosing the PLC contract, my recruitor had me roll bottles under my feet in the hotel. Once in the exam room for the assembly line of recruits at MEPS I stood on the outsides of my feet. The doc that checked me over didn't have a clue I have flat feet.

If you go grunt it will hurt to have flat feet, but it's the best job in the Corps other than being a DI. I'm still moto & I'm a flat foot with flat feet now. Feel free to IM me if you have any questions or want to know what boot camp's like from a DI's perspective. Good luck killer.

_Reign_
09-30-07, 14:43
thanks a ton guys, i am really interested in the ROTC program here, pretty much have my goals set on that right now. lets see how it goes :p :p

dwhitehorne
10-01-07, 15:49
Stay in school and go talk to a Marine recruiter about NROTC or whatever they call it now. I spent 6 years in and my feet are just like Donald Ducks. 2 1/2 years in the infantry and 3 years on the Marine Security Guard scam:D . You'll do fine as long as you give it your best, it's all mental anyway. It was a life's experience being in a line company in the Fleet, but now having been out for 15 years I wish I had gotten my degree first. David

Combat_Medic
10-02-07, 10:26
You will only be checked ONCE for this at MEPS ...I was worried when I went in because I have "border line" flat feet.
When you a standing there in line with 12 or so others in just your underwear and the MD is checking.... transfer your weight to the outside edge of your feet and slightly press your BIG toe to the floor. practice this before you go. you will know when you have to do this they will tell you to take off your socks.

I was a medic and at the time I went in it WAS NOT as big of a concern as say.... during WWII and I think the stigma of not being accepted to the military because of flat feet has derived from guys trying to dodge the draft in Vietnam say they were flat footed.

Try this technique continue it until you PUT YOU SOCKS BACK ON.... dont let up remember you only have to do this once.
...take the physical.....DO NOT tell them you are Flat footed ..if they say something play dumb say I AM??? it must be all that running/ winning I have done. and if it is noticed go from there maybe they will waive it.

Good luck

Matt in AZ
10-02-07, 23:27
i am currently in college and considering either ROTC or more likely, just straight up enlisting in the marines. anyhow, i am flat footed...

Reign,

The simple fact that you are an accomplished run indicates that you are physically qualified for whichever route you select.

If you pursue the Platoon Leaders Class (PLC) program or NROTC, they used to (1997) schedule your physical with a military physician at the closest available facility that was not MEPS. The reason for this is that it may be detrimental for a recruiters' mission to have his open contract poolee sit next to a PLC-Aviation candidate at the MEPS physical and compare notes. This would be something to the tune of:

A. "I think I am going bulk fuel..."

B. "I am a shoe-in for F/A-18's..."

You can bet your last dollar the open contract poolee will be making new demands of his recruiter.

I have large feet relative to my height, so the arches are non-pronounced (low). When this would come up, I would reference my: PFT performance, history of playing sports, hiking, and familiarity with the structure and limitations* of my foot. Thus, it did not hinder my opprtunity to go to OCS, commission, or participate in flight training.

*By limitations, for the initial physical and OCS check-in, I assured the physician I was prepared with arch supports and motion control running shoes; in each case this was met with a nod of approval. For the MD, it is a screening and a liability issue; and they are more open minded than any pedantic set of rules.