PDA

View Full Version : What is a good portable gasoline generator under $300-200?

Phazuka
04-14-11, 11:57
It's storm season again and this would be our households first portable generator for power outages and the like. Please school me on all the facets of portable generators and what to look for in one. Can you run the whole house off a portable gen set or do you just run extension cords to your computer/tv/fridge etc?

HES
04-14-11, 12:09
I'm guessing you are a gulf coast resident, if not a fellow Floridian. Before you talk price you need to figure out what your power needs are. To be honest the only things I want to run electrically post hurricane is my refrigerator and two window A/C units. You might want a bit more juice for electrically powered hand tools and to power a lap top and charge phones. If you don't have an air card for your laptop then you will also need to figure out your power needs for the router. That assumes that your high speed connection is actually working.

However instead of looking for a generator that can handle this entire electrical load requirement there are other options for energy management and selection of a generator.

You could always switch different electrical devices on and off, thus getting away with a smaller generator. One example is to have window A/C units on stand by. They should draw less power than your typical 3 1/2 ton built in A/C unit. You can also prioritize utilization of electrical equipment. For example once the house is cool, shut off the window units and use fans, which should use less power, to distribute the cooler air from the window units through out the house. Or power down your A/C units to provide power for the other devices. So then you charge the cell phones or lap top and run the lap top off its battery. Then turn on the window A/C units when it becomes necessary.

The key is to conserve fuel. Generators aint exactly miserly with their fuel requirements. So you may have to endure some period of uncomfortable, but liveable conditions

The other thing to strongly think about is having a professional electrician install a hookup / disconnect directly into your breaker box. Why would you do this? So that when the power company is repairing the lines you don't accidentally kill them by feeding power back into the grid from your generator. This is not a DIY project due to the liability.

So when you figure how big of a unit you need, then you need to consider how much gas it will require to run. Remember you wont have to run the A/C or refrigerator all the time. Unless you are dealing with an Andrew or Katrina most folks that lose power will have it restored in no more than a week, though more rural areas may have to wait longer (2 to 3 weeks).

Remember, when looking for a generator and A/C units, craigslist is your friend.

Sorry I couldn't recommend a unit, but we need more data.

04-14-11, 12:11
A whole house cannot be run by a portable generator; portable in the sense that a big rig isn't dropping it off for a set period or you aren't pulling it behind a truck. For most portables you will be running cords. If you can up your budget some, more options open up. Check herehttp://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/category_generators+portable-generators+1-000-4-999-watts

Phazuka
04-14-11, 12:28
I read up on the transfer switch hook up and balancing load with the breaker box. I would like to power the whole house on a portable, with only selected items running like the central air/heat, fridge, scanner/radio, tv and computer(s) either the laptop itself and cable router. If that isn't possible with a transfer switch then I'd run an extension cord for the fridge and a power bar with all the computer stuff plugged in. In the summer, maybe a window aircon.

ETA: forgot to add, I'm in North Texas.....Tornado Alley

HES
04-14-11, 17:49
The transfer switch isn't the problem. The problem is your budget and load requirements and the limitation of portable generators.

High Desert
04-15-11, 12:50
The transfer switch isn't the problem. The problem is your budget and load requirements and the limitation of portable generators.

That summed it all up.

If you are unsure how to do load calcs, you may want to invest in one of these. Frankly they are pretty handy to have around.

http://www.killawattplus.com/?gclid=COS_tvCIn6gCFcgZQgodHS82HQ

The math for load calcs is pretty simple, you can google it. Once you see your requirements then you will know how big of a genset to look at and then cringe at the price, go back, and decide what you really need to run off the genset.

HD

geistacwm
04-15-11, 12:58
Makita.

Should be able to find one of their models in that price range.

I've owned three that have served me well.

usmcvet
04-15-11, 20:47
$300 is not going to get you a good generator. I like the Honda 100 & 2000 Watt units. If you get a 2000 you can add another 2000 later with a piggyback control unit.

JStor
04-16-11, 09:43
I'd look here and see if their selection has anything that interests you. Some areas have a local store, so it becomes a little easier to inspect the goods first.
www.northerntool.com

hatidua
04-18-11, 21:47
Get a Honda - they're quiet.

I got hit (directly) by hurricanes twice in 2004 (Stuart, FL) and bought a generator at Lowes while evacuated for the second storm - I went up to GA. When I got back to FL and used the thing, it was so loud I sold it to an eager buyer the next day for what I paid 48 hours prior.

I live in CO now and don't currently own a generator but if I ever were to buy one again, I'd pony up the cash for a quiet one.

usmcvet
04-18-11, 21:50
If you could buy a NIB AR15 for $300 would you or would you buy a NIB AR for $1,000-1,2000. It is the same principal. You get what you pay for.

30 cal slut
04-21-11, 12:36
don't think i've ever found a reliable gasoline powered generator that you could buy at home depot or lowes.

last year i bought a husky during an outage, it wouldn't run continuously for more than a few hours without stopping and it finally shit the bed a day after i purchase it.

rented one from home depot ... strangely, the rental units worked better.

i think brand matters, so shop accordingly.