PDA

View Full Version : My views on training

CB59
04-15-11, 06:47
I'm 52 and have been training for over 30 years and there are some truths I've learned along the way from some very experienced physiologists, body builders and trainers I've known and worked with. One of them is that CONSISTENCY is key. Fitness training on a regular basis at a low or moderate level trumps starting and stopping any program no matter what the intensity level. Raising your heart rate, lifting appropriate weight, protecting your joints and not letting your ego overload your frame and connective tissues keeps you in the game. Another one is VARIETY. Changing up the routine every few months keeps your muscles in a state of confusion and forces them to respond more efficiently from the load you put on them. Lastly, NUTRITION. This is the hardest part of the whole deal. The 30 minutes or an hour you spend working out, is nothing compared to the planning and constant commitment to eating right that's necessary to achieve great fitness. All the work you do at the gym or wherever, is easily undone by what you eat and drink afterwards.

Ironman8
04-15-11, 08:45
I agree with everything you posted here...I'll just add a couple things...

Flexibility! I believe this is the "third leg of the three legged stool". (Strength, endurance, flexibility). to be a complete athlete or at least just a complete healthy person, you need all three. Flexibility will help increase strength and speed (through range of motion) as well as help to prevent injury...

Adding to the Nutrition part...Its not only WHAT you eat but WHEN you eat it as well. Timing your nutritional intake is just as important as making sure you consume it...

CB59
04-15-11, 11:16
I agree with everything you posted here...I'll just add a couple things...

Flexibility! I believe this is the "third leg of the three legged stool". (Strength, endurance, flexibility). to be a complete athlete or at least just a complete healthy person, you need all three. Flexibility will help increase strength and speed (through range of motion) as well as help to prevent injury...

Adding to the Nutrition part...Its not only WHAT you eat but WHEN you eat it as well. Timing your nutritional intake is just as important as making sure you consume it...

Agree back. I don't do enough before training and I've just been lucky in avoiding injuries. Great point.

Ironman8
04-15-11, 11:56
I don't either unfortunately but I'm working on that...I'll also add that it is recommended to do a "dynamic/active stretch" routine before workouts and static stretches afterwards.