PDA

View Full Version : Troy alpha rail

Rmm242
04-15-11, 13:04
http://troyind.com/%20/battlerails/troy-battlerail-alpha-coming-soon

Thoughts? I really like the look of them.

kwelz
04-15-11, 13:08
Only problem from what I hear is that the Front sight doesn't lock up. Only down.

Other than that looks really good.

1911-A1
04-15-11, 15:21
Oh, the front sight is "spring loaded". I wonder how strong the tension is, since they decided not to lock it open.

Surf
04-15-11, 18:06
I would rather have one with a FSP cutout.

Dano5326
04-15-11, 21:12
locking up is much more of a snag hazard with the 90 degree flips ups than the a-frame fixed front sights. IMO good feature.

Un-ass a car, armored vehicle, boat, whatever at mach speed, esp from concealment.. front sight is the usual offender.

It's also why I frequently get stupid questions about why I have my front flip sight set up "backwords"

ra2bach
04-16-11, 10:17
Only problem from what I hear is that the Front sight doesn't lock up. Only down.

Other than that looks really good.

neither does the Magpul but no one lists that as a concern. come to think about it, neither does the ARMS 40L which, at least for a while, was well thought of...

rob_s
04-16-11, 11:00
The KAC versions with integrated sight are spring-loaded now. They do not lock in the "up" position.

I agree with Surf though, I'd rather have versions of the Troy rail with FSP cutouts.

KAC

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q111/rob_s/gun%20stuff/th_IMG_1125-1.jpg (http://s134.photobucket.com/albums/q111/rob_s/gun%20stuff/?action=view&current=IMG_1125-1.mp4)

CaptainDooley
04-16-11, 11:52
Yeah, if someone would come out with a tube like this with a FSP cutout for a middy I'd be thrilled - all I need is just enough room to put a light in front of the FSP - how long would that make the rail?

Rmm242
04-16-11, 12:29
I'm tempted to try it out but I think I like the vtac version they make slightly better. I've got no first hand experience with the vtac but the Trx-e I held felt somewhat like a cheese grater.

boomhower
04-16-11, 19:33
Free floating?

Tact.medic
03-26-12, 18:20
So did you ever get it? post some pics and what do you think of it?

ache_d
03-26-12, 18:24
buy it, its solid. Should have no doubts about it.

Hitech50
03-26-12, 19:41
buy it, its solid. Should have no doubts about it.

+1, I put one on my rifle recently and I really like it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

djmorris
03-26-12, 21:40
I just put a 9" Alpha rail on my BCM middy. Although mine does not have the built in sight, I am liking the rail alot. It's locked up real nice and I have not even put any loctite on the mounting screws yet. Easy installation too and this is coming from a kitchen-table armorer :jester:

Rmm242
03-27-12, 11:32
I got a very cheap Trx rail from a friend and went with it. I've been shooting it for over a year now and I wish I had got the alpha rail. I can't help but feel my rifle is on the heavy side. Especially once I put a optic on it.

I'll prob look to upgrade it when funds allow but for now it's going to remain as is. Great to hear positive things about it tho.

WFO
03-27-12, 12:29
I'm tempted to try it out but I think I like the vtac version they make slightly better. I've got no first hand experience with the vtac but the Trx-e I held felt somewhat like a cheese grater.

Whenever these actually come out they should help the cheese grater effect:

http://troyind.com/%20/anew-products/troy-squid-grip-6-pack

Rmm242
03-27-12, 13:47
I bought the standard Trx so I don't think those would work for me.

djmorris
03-27-12, 15:55
I don't get the cheese grater thing. I do like the vtac version but....really? cheese grater? I don't find it uncomfortable in the least so I'm not sure what the vtac version really does offer over the original "cheese grater" design aside from a alternate look.

Is the TRX really that much more heavy than the Alpha? I wasn't aware there was much of a difference. I know my 9" Alpha rail weighs right around 9oz which is give or take what the Magpul handguards weigh. I think I may have even saved a little bit of weight when I switched from the MOE w/ rail sections to the Alpha rail.. it's definitely awesomely light.