PDA

View Full Version : Best color for Accupoint triangle?

Blinking Dog
04-15-11, 13:48
I want to get a Trijicon Accupoint with the post and triangle reticle, but am not sure what color to get. I've done a little internet research on colors, and I get varying answers. I read that the retina has more red sensitive cones, which would indicate red might be a better choice...but I've also read that the human eye detects visible light in the green and yellow frequencies best, so the green or amber would seem to be better choices.

Anyone have any practical experience shooting this scope with different color triangles, that could give some input?

I've shot an AR with RDS for quite a while, and I pick up the red quite easily so I was leaning towards red. But green seems to be gaining traction in lasers, and I'm wondering if that is due to some better perception issues.

Thoughts?

:confused:

sparkman
04-15-11, 16:24
I prefer the green (2 TR24G'S), I had one in red also, but traded
For a green. The green just 'POPS' for me..

Gutshot John
04-15-11, 17:03
Whichever one you can see/like best.

Differences are so minute that most won't be able to tell any difference and variations in individuals (some people are more sensitive to certain colors/shades) and shooting conditions (are you going to be shooting in daylight? night? evening? desert? woods? mountaintops?) make a single "right" answer an exercise in futility.

Some people swear by green, others by red, others by amber.

You're not coordinating a wardrobe so what difference does it really make?

cop1211
04-15-11, 21:40
I have 2 of the green, and 2 of the red, both are very good, and fast to pick up. If I could only have 1, I would take the red.

Best thing to do if possible, go to your local fun store and try both out to see what you like the best.

TehLlama
04-15-11, 23:41
I'm very accustomed to red (Aimpoints, TA31RCO), and it works extremely well.

Mr. Goodtimes
04-16-11, 01:14
I tried green and red. I went with green because thats the one G&R had in stock. Neither one was faster to pick up than the other and they both seemed to wash out the same.

I have the traingle and really love it. I've found it to be if not as fast as my T1 then damn close.

nickdrak
04-16-11, 01:27
I prefer the green simply because the green tritium is noticeably brighter in low light than the red tritium.

bp7178
04-16-11, 02:31
I prefer the green simply because the green tritium is noticeably brighter in low light than the red tritium.

On that note, I could have sworn that i've read something by Trijicon, that the amber was the brightest of the three. I'll see if I can dig it up.

I've owned a TR24G, but I like the red better. The green doesn't stand out against amber street lights to much.

msstate56
04-16-11, 02:52

I have gone to green on all my Trijicon ACOGs because they are much brighter. I work at night, so low light visibility is important to me.

Gutshot John
04-16-11, 11:49
Again everyone has preferences. There is no objective right answer.

I've done subjective tests, where I've taken fiber optic of various colors, taped it to a board out of doors on bright sunny days. Started about 100 meters back and started walking towards the FO. Consistently I picked up the red first.

That said of a Reflex, TR-21, TR-24 and two ACOGs, I tend to buy Trijicon optics in amber because they are brighter in low-light.

Honestly there is no "best" color.