PDA

View Full Version : Is the Daniel Defense Mk18 GTG?

af_tt
04-15-11, 14:29
I am looking at buying another rifle and want to go SBR I think. I see there's a spot for the Mk18 system in peoples heart, but how about the Daniel Defense version?

I am also considering the LMT, Noveske, and KAC offerings. However, with my military discount the DD Mk18 will allow me to also get a suppressor in on that purchase with the budget in mind.

So what's your guys take?

jcote258
04-15-11, 17:42
I am looking at buying another rifle and want to go SBR I think. I see there's a spot for the Mk18 system in peoples heart, but how about the Daniel Defense version?

I am also considering the LMT, Noveske, and KAC offerings. However, with my military discount the DD Mk18 will allow me to also get a suppressor in on that purchase with the budget in mind.

So what's your guys take?

Just finished my DD MK18 RISII Rail with DD upper, fluted 11.5 inch bbl, and noveske switchblock. I have to tell you man, if you can find a DD Mk18 RISII Rail, get it and build it. Easily one of the nicest SBR's I have ever built. Just had my machinist do the cut out for the switchblock.

https://www.m4carbine.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=8142&d=1302907278
https://www.m4carbine.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=8143&d=1302907285

buddyhoohaw
04-15-11, 18:06
Just finished my DD MK18 RISII Rail with DD upper, fluted 11.5 inch bbl, and noveske switchblock. I have to tell you man, if you can find a DD Mk18 RISII Rail, get it and build it. Easily one of the nicest SBR's I have ever built. Just had my machinist do the cut out for the switchblock.

That's nice looking work...well done!!

Cheers

jcote258
04-15-11, 18:27
That's nice looking work...well done!!

Cheers

Thanks:smile: its definitely my pride and joy and man does it shoot nice.

af_tt
04-15-11, 20:15
So yours is essentially the factory mk18 sbr? Do you run yours suppressed?
I can't see the pictures unfortunately...

Dano5326
04-15-11, 20:37
Want to see pics of rail with cutout for switch-block!

I have a switch-block, barrel, Fail-zero kit.. staged, all waiting on a suitable rail solution

parishioner
04-15-11, 20:43

I have a switch-block, barrel, Fail-zero kit.. staged, all waiting on a suitable rail solution

Here's one: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=38686&page=2

MarkG
04-15-11, 20:48

Carbine or mid-length?

af_tt
04-16-11, 00:38
Gents would I be better off just getting the Noveske basic and adding the CASV? I am not familiar with Daniel Defense but I do know that Noveske is top notch and their CS has been great.

Rider79
04-16-11, 07:31

The factory DD mk18 would be the one with a 10.3" barrel and a 10" rail. They sell it as a complete upper. Yes, DD is good to go, I have an unfired DD 10.3" upper with a 9" Lite rail, but I also have a 11.5" DD upper with a 10" Lite rail that has just over 5,800 rounds through it, with no cleaning, and no issues.

jcote258
04-16-11, 08:34

Yes its the factory MK18 RIS II Rail on a Daniel Defense upper receiver, the rail is 9.5 inches long made to put a 10.3 inch barrel inside. I have a YHM SS suppressor for it so yes I run it suppressed.

jcote258
04-16-11, 08:36

I have attached it to another post so you should be able to see it. My machinist took off one more rail length than I wanted but it still came out kick ass in my opinion.

jcote258
04-16-11, 08:40
Gents would I be better off just getting the Noveske basic and adding the CASV? I am not familiar with Daniel Defense but I do know that Noveske is top notch and their CS has been great.

Daniel Defense is back ordered for the next three months or more because the military has bought them all for either their special forces or other units request. I know because they finally broke down a told me after three months of calling them and asking when they were going to be back in stock. Had to get one from cstactical.com

af_tt
04-16-11, 08:52
I am going to place my order for the MK18. I am in Iraq so a 3 month wait won't be anything but a drop in a bucket. With the military discount and all I will be getting a great deal on the rifle I think.

Rider79
04-16-11, 09:15
Yes its the factory MK18 RIS II Rail on a Daniel Defense upper receiver, the rail is 9.5 inches long made to put a 10.3 inch barrel inside. I have a YHM SS suppressor for it so yes I run it suppressed.

I think the OP is asking about the actual MK18 upper, as in the 10.3" barrel with a 10" rail, yours has an 11.5" barrel, correct?

Rider79
04-16-11, 09:21
I am going to place my order for the MK18. I am in Iraq so a 3 month wait won't be anything but a drop in a bucket. With the military discount and all I will be getting a great deal on the rifle I think.

I think you'll be more than happy. You may consider getting an upper ordered with a separate lower to engrave and SBR and if possible getting your paperwork set up and submitted for the SBR so that you'll have your gun as soon as you get home. The NFA paperwork can take 3 months or more to get back from the ATF. Not sure if you'll be able to do this since you're OCONUS.

jcote258
04-16-11, 09:21
I think the OP is asking about the actual MK18 upper, as in the 10.3" barrel with a 10" rail, yours has an 11.5" barrel, correct?

Ooooh, gotcha. But still the handguard on the MK18 Factory SBR uses the MK18 RIS II rail which is 9.5 inches long (just measured mine) but that neither here nor there. Yes I'm running a 11.5 incher.

03humpalot
04-16-11, 09:32
We have 42 of them out here at work with no issues so far.
http://img402.imageshack.us/img402/983/img8994y.jpg

thopkins22
04-16-11, 09:37
You may consider getting an upper ordered with a separate lower to engrave and SBR and if possible getting your paperwork set up and submitted for the SBR so that you'll have your gun as soon as you get home. The NFA paperwork can take 3 months or more to get back from the ATF. Not sure if you'll be able to do this since you're OCONUS.

He doesn't need to, the gun is available as a factory SBR. Daniel Defense is the manufacturer, their already engraved information is sufficient.

af_tt
04-16-11, 10:11
Yeah I would prefer the factory SBR. I don't mind the wait either, I can take care of my paper work on R&R.
I think I will just draw a trust up with my wife and a couple family members. So that in the event it came it and I wasn't home yet she could have it in her possession.

I am pretty excited to get one though. I have plenty of time to decide on the accessories and such.

usmcvet
04-16-11, 15:45
A DD SBR would be a great weapon. I bought an LMT 10 SBR from G&R I love it.

Here is a link:

http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=SBR-10

The cost is $1146.00 which is a damn good price. It includes a SOPMOD stock, LMT BUIS, LMT 30 round mag and a GI Sling.

af_tt
04-16-11, 16:21
Dang, I wish you wouldn't have shown me that.... I could get one and just slap a CASV on it.. I think that would serve me just as well as a Mk18 and it's a little cheaper.

TehLlama
04-16-11, 16:57
I'd still say go all out and stick with the RIS-II Mk18 rail.

Odds are you'll be extremely happy with whatever you get, and run cases and cases through it, so don't sweat a hundred dollars difference, get exactly what you want.

usmcvet
04-16-11, 17:21
I would second get what YOU want. I had a rail on the LMT and switched to MOE handguards. They do everything I need. The second SBR I bought was a ln 11.5" BCM. I think my next might be a 12.5" BCM Kino. Both of my SBRs were factory guns on a form four. I have an LMT lower I'm going to form 1 in the next few weeks. Get what you want and do it sooner rather than later. I wish I started years ago.

af_tt
04-16-11, 17:31
I am going to get on the list for the Mk18.
But for that price it's sure hard to pass that LMT.

TehLlama
04-16-11, 17:42
Grant would also have the ability to customize that to exactly what you want - I've seen plenty of pictures of various LMT 10.5" units that he's modified to be stellar performers (one with the DD Mk18 rail, a TROY TRX Extreme, and another with a CASV), so know that getting exactly what you want needn't be costly.

usmcvet
04-16-11, 18:08
It comes with a semi auto BCG which I replaced with a FA BCG. Like I said I love mine we have two LMT 10.5" uppers on guns at work and they rock too! Contact Grant and tell him what you want. Get the LMT and the DD! I made a deal with myself that I could buy one a year :D.