PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on DD omega rail

gixer6
04-15-11, 18:08
is this a true Free float system?

if so, why would i go with a lite or omega x over the omega, which requires no mods to the weapon and is still a free float?

ive got a lite on my sbr, have had an omega x in the past, but now im leaning towards the regular omega for my next build. that way if something breaks i have better access to the weapon, and i can throw some moe handguards on it to keep it lightweight if i dont need the rail space.

what do you think? pros and cons of omega vs lite/omega x? also, in your opinion is this the best rail that requires no mods to the weapon? or should i be looking at something else also?

OTO27
04-15-11, 18:13
Its all a matter of preference, in my opinion I put them in this order, starting from the sturdiest: Lite rail, Omega X, and lastly the Omega. Although I have never heard of anyones Omega rail not being sturdy enough.

Iraqgunz
04-15-11, 18:21
Out of curiousity. What would break that would require you to get access? The only thing there is the gas tube.

is this a true Free float system?

if so, why would i go with a lite or omega x over the omega, which requires no mods to the weapon and is still a free float?

ive got a lite on my sbr, have had an omega x in the past, but now im leaning towards the regular omega for my next build. that way if something breaks i have better access to the weapon, and i can throw some moe handguards on it to keep it lightweight if i dont need the rail space.

what do you think? pros and cons of omega vs lite/omega x? also, in your opinion is this the best rail that requires no mods to the weapon? or should i be looking at something else also?

gixer6
04-15-11, 20:38
Out of curiousity. What would break that would require you to get access? The only thing there is the gas tube.

nothing, youre right. i guess i was really thinking more about any armorer being able to work on it and having barrel nuts, etc.

the real reason im looking at this is because my battlecomp is pinned on a 14.5, so there you go.

but i do like the idea of being able to take it off whenever i want as long as its still a true free float. hopefully it will be just as sturdy as a one-piece, but all im putting on it is a vfg and light anyway.

Iraqgunz
04-15-11, 20:39
I'm sure it wll be fine. I used KAC rails on different M16's in my life and they served their purpose well.

nothing, youre right. i guess i was really thinking more about any armorer being able to work on it and having barrel nuts, etc.

the real reason im looking at this is because my battlecomp is pinned on a 14.5, so there you go.

but i do like the idea of being able to take it off whenever i want as long as its still a true free float. hopefully it will be just as sturdy as a one-piece, but all im putting on it is a vfg and light anyway.

Just a Jarhead
04-16-11, 04:09

I have an Omega & yes it's a true free float. There are no points where it touches the barrel. I have had the allen head set screws walk out on me so do be sure to use locktite on them once you're satisfied.

Col_Crocs
04-16-11, 06:01
The Centurion C4 rail is another option. It does, however, require cutting off the delta ring and spring.

Redline
04-16-11, 06:59
Sorry, see post below.

Redline
04-16-11, 07:01
The regular Omega is the real deal. I rarely use my m4 carbine. I think I only put a couple hundred rds through it since I got the Omega. But I'me happy with it. It is rock solid and a true freee float. And for a guy like me it's perfect. I didn't wanna permanently change the weapon either. So it was perfect.

When I first put it on I thought it was moving but that was the play between the lower and upper. So if u wanna push and pull on it to see if it's solid u might wanna do it while it's separate from the lower.

Since I don't use mine that much the screws haven't loosened. But the screws came with locktite on them and from what I hear won't loosen much or at all unless u take them out and put them back in w/o putting locktite on them. I think you'll be very happy with it. Check out the thread below. It starts off talking about free floating accuracy and turns into an Omega discussion.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=34609

mgobel
04-16-11, 11:47
I have an Omega Rail on one of my AR's. It is still rock solid after two carbine courses and 4000 rounds. The Omega is much easier to install than the Lite Rail (which I also have).

Mark

OTO27
04-16-11, 16:35
The Centurion C4 rail is another option. It does, however, require cutting off the delta ring and spring.

Not to mention the handguard cap

yunggunz
05-04-11, 12:28
What is the difference between the Lite and the Omega X? According to DD website, the weight difference is .01 of an ounce. So I ask, why would they make a rail that is just .01 ounces lighter?

jackblack73
05-04-11, 12:45
What is the difference between the Lite and the Omega X? According to DD website, the weight difference is .01 of an ounce. So I ask, why would they make a rail that is just .01 ounces lighter?

Since the Omega X is two piece, it's relatively easy to remove if you need to access under it for cleaning or otherwise. That's especially true if you have a FSB. The Lite is one piece I believe, so it's significantly more difficult to remove. I also like how the Omega X has built in QD points.

justin_247
05-04-11, 15:25
I'm sure it wll be fine. I used KAC rails on different M16's in my life and they served their purpose well.

The Omega rail is a great rail system, but I'll admit that I actually sold the one that was on my DD and replaced it with a KAC RAS. It had nothing to do with getting access to the barrel and gas tube or mounting a grenade launcher and other silliness, but because it was more comfortable for me. However, if I had to choose another rail system that required no modification to the host rifle or the removal of a pinned muzzle device, I'd choose nothing else but an Omega.