PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone help me identify this AR.

kwelz
04-15-11, 20:04
A friend of mine wants to sell his AR. While I personally am not interested in it I told him I would sell it for him since I have a lot more experience selling ARs online.

I want to part it out and sell it but before I do I would like to have a better idea of what I have here.

The lower is a PWS. I am not familiar with them but from what I have found they had some connection to LMT. The Rollmark looks very similar in fact. Anyone know anything about these?
The only thing of note about the lower is that it has a Civilian Spec Receiver extension.

The Bolt is Marked MPF with the F underlined. As far as I can tell this is how FN marks their bolt and the Carrier is an M16 carrier.

The part I am really stumped on is the upper. Barrel is 16 inches with an A2 FH and uses rifle Feedramps. I was unable to find any marking on the barrel. denoting twist rate or source of manufacture.

Also included in the rifle was a ARMS BUIS, Knights rail, Rail covers, and VFG. Finally there was an Optic called a Mepro 21 which seems to be a knockoff of the Trijicon reflex. Any knowledge of one of these?

I have included a couple photos so you can at least see the barrel profile which I found a bit odd. I know this is a shot in the dark but I figured it was worth a try.

He is hoping to get what he paid out of the deal which is 750. I may purchase the lower myself if he will let me have it at a good deal. Other than that I am going to part it out once I have a better idea of what I am selling here.

Thanks everyone.

http://web.me.com/kwelz/Pictures/unknown1.jpg

http://web.me.com/kwelz/Pictures/unknown2.jpg

TOrrock
04-15-11, 20:07
No markings on the barrel usually means a Wilson (NOT Wilson Combat) non chrome lined 1/9" twist. Nothing special at all.

The Mepro-21 is an Israeli reflex sight.

Mepro-21 (http://www.meprolight.com/default.asp?catid={2D1A5EA0-9AE1-4487-8E2B-CBBF5641658B}&details_type=1&itemid={FD44627E-1FD3-4811-969B-D59CE751DD4A})

Other stuff I'll let people take a whack at....

Iraqgunz
04-15-11, 20:09
I seem to recall seeing a barrel like this. If I am not mistaken it was some Tier 0 stuff. The Mepro sight is actually made by Meprolight and I am fairly certain it's Israeli.

kwelz
04-15-11, 20:19
Thank you gentlemen. Seems to be in interesting combo of good and not so good parts.

What is the scoop on PWS lowers?

caelumatra
04-15-11, 20:22
I have a bcm complete upper sitting right next to me and it has 0 markings on the barrel. Was pretty disappointed. Ordered it straight from bcm as well...

I have an sws rail, but its superior weapon systems and they make noveskes rail...but they don't make lowers as far as I know. Which isn't a ton lol. Its a great rail though :)

Woops. Read it wrong. You said pws, not sws. Sorry lol. Primary weapon systems comes to mind. Sounds familiar but that's it.

Iraqgunz
04-15-11, 20:26
What kind of upper/ barrel. I have seen more than a few and everyone was marked in some way. Since you are disappointed, did you bother to express your disappointment to anyone?

Down by barrel extension there are markings and my barrels are marked across the top CHF 1/7 NATO, etc..

I have a bcm complete upper sitting right next to me and it has 0 markings on the barrel. Was pretty disappointed. Ordered it straight from bcm as well...

I have an sws rail, but its superior weapon systems and they make noveskes rail...but they don't make lowers as far as I know. Which isn't a ton lol. Its a great rail though :)

lethal dose
04-15-11, 20:29
Looks like a Wilson or shaw barrel. Not great, but not bad. My Slr15 commander dissipator uses a Chrome lined 1:9 Wilson that was hpt/mpi in house and reamed to a true 5.56.

The lower... you sure it isn't PWA? If it's PWA, it stands for pacific west arms and, yes... the rollmark looks a lot like LMT but I don't believe there to be a connection. I run a PWA preban (only time they were mfg) lower on one of my builds that works as any other lower. There's a pic way back in the pic thread with it running an LMT/trx on top.

lethal dose
04-15-11, 20:34
To add... tomac and I did an extensive write up on batteryless reflex optics. The mep was one of them. Do a search. Some good info.

Iraqgunz
04-15-11, 20:38
Rangersales.com has a similar looking barrel with no additional info. Do Wilson barrels use straight pins? The ones I see in the pics appear to be straight.

lethal dose
04-15-11, 20:47
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=66476&highlight=batteryless

lethal dose
04-15-11, 20:52
IG- not sure on the pins, as mine started as a bare barrel and was dissy'd by sully and his crew.

ohiorifleman
04-15-11, 20:59
Potential to be a J&T, Model One, or M&A upper is pretty high- especially in this part of the country. I know from handling enough of them that J&T's stuff wasn't marked reliably until the complete doublestar rifles came out and they all had (maybe still do) straight pins- I would price the upper as a well used non-chrome 1/9 upper which would put barrel value at about 125.00 and the upper at 75.00 maybe- it looks well used- lot of fouling around the FSB and some rust present. Gun show might be the best way to part with that as a complete set-up- might be worth more as a whole to someone wearing a 5.00 knife on a 50.00 thigh rig and their mouth full of jerky.

kwelz
04-15-11, 21:08
Wow epic fail on my part. PWA lower not PWS.
The pins do look to be strait pins.

The gun shows a lot of wear. I have been to the range with him a few times and it has functioned well enough. I promised him that when he is ready I will help him build a better gun.

caelumatra
04-15-11, 21:21
What kind of upper/ barrel. I have seen more than a few and everyone was marked in some way. Since you are disappointed, did you bother to express your disappointment to anyone?

Down by barrel extension there are markings and my barrels are marked across the top CHF 1/7 NATO, etc..

https://www.bravocompanyusa.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=BCM-URG-MID-16

Its this. And I guess IG, I overstated my disappointement. I was just a little disappointed and that's why I didn't pursue it.
I don't question the quality of it. The uppers marked bcm, the bolts marked, and this isn't the first one I ordered so I wasn't too worried. More curious as to why it wasn't marked. An I took the handguards off and no. Not one single mark anywhere on the barrell at all other than the scratch I put on it with the moe's. Shrug. No worries :)

polymorpheous
04-15-11, 21:43
I'm with ohiorifleman with this.

Some fudd will buy it at a gunshow.

lethal dose
04-15-11, 21:45
Should be a pre ban lower. What you're looking at is likely a by product of that era... a frankenbuild. The mep isn't a bad sight. Read the link I posted.

Wow epic fail on my part. PWA lower not PWS.
The pins do look to be strait pins.

The gun shows a lot of wear. I have been to the range with him a few times and it has functioned well enough. I promised him that when he is ready I will help him build a better gun.

lethal dose
04-15-11, 21:54
Come to think of it... the PWA has been destroyed.

buddyhoohaw
04-15-11, 22:01
Not all PWA lowers are pre-ban.

Cheers

duece71
04-16-11, 06:16
Gun shows work well for sales of "lesser" AR-15 parts, lowers ,uppers. I sold a RRA upper ($350) with in 15 minutes of walking through the door at one here in C-bus. No, the gentleman didn't have a dip in or any jerky in his mouth. :D

MistWolf
04-16-11, 06:40
It would help to check the rifling twist

wetidlerjr
04-16-11, 06:47
Gun show might be the best way to part with that as a complete set-up- might be worth more as a whole to someone wearing a 5.00 knife on a 50.00 thigh rig and their mouth full of jerky. :haha:

I saw what you did there.
It's a great sig quote for someone. :D

TOrrock
04-16-11, 08:23
Test post

kwelz
04-16-11, 08:30
Test post

You fail.

Or at least the board does. Not getting Notifications if that is what you are testing. :D

wetidlerjr
04-16-11, 09:08
You fail. Or at least the board does. Not getting Notifications if that is what you are testing. :D

I had a post that didn't show up until another post was made. :D

OT: I agree with the gun show sell. I should have done that with my piston-conversion upper but I have to wait till later as the gun shows are over around here.

ZRH
04-16-11, 16:31
LMT used to make PWA lowers. LMT was strictly OEM parts until 2004-ish, I can't remember exactly when they started marketing their own rifles. I remember RRA used to use Wilson barrels.