PDA

View Full Version : Deleted

davidjinks
04-16-11, 11:58

MikeCLeonard
04-16-11, 13:08
I've pulled and installed a lot of MRP barrels and never had a problem with the bolts. I don't think it's anything to be concerned about. Pretty much every instance I've read about involved the use of the crappy torque-wrench supplied with the upper. Any bolt can snap if it's torqued past it's limit...So I'd suggest getting a nice torque wrench and maybe a few spares for peace of mind.

Never heard of, or experienced any bolts coming lose, warping, breaking, etc. during firing. It's a solid design and will stand up to the abuse.

ZX672
04-16-11, 13:12
+1 on the torque wrench. I have a nice "snap-on" wrench and several thousand rounds on my MRP with no issues.

I've pulled and installed a lot of MRP barrels and never had a problem with the bolts. I don't think it's anything to be concerned about. Pretty much every instance I've read about involved the use of the crappy torque-wrench supplied with the upper. Any bolt can snap if it's torqued past it's limit...So I'd suggest getting a nice torque wrench and maybe a few spares for peace of mind.

Never heard of, or experienced any bolts coming lose, warping, breaking, etc. during firing. It's a solid design and will stand up to the abuse.

ALCOAR
04-16-11, 13:36
The bolts are 100% designed to sheer well short of the point that one would damage a chassis. The people who generally break an occasional bolt are folks who quite frankly cannot do a monkey task properly. All my old school MRP pal's and myself have never had a bolt break and I have performed hundreds of barrel changes on my various chassis's.

You would have to no shit drop ordinance on a naked MRP chassis in order to damage them. It doesn't hurt they start out as a 7lb + chuck of aluminum and being continuously CNC'd for 4-5 hrs., which ends with that beautifully crafted monolithic chassis we call a MRP. The chassis could last indefinitely....one generation of shooter to the next.

Your not gonna find anything more rigid, reliable, and precisely crafted than a MRP chassis and Mike Rock single point cut rifled MRP barrel. It ruined me instantly:p

QuietShootr
04-16-11, 14:06
They're tougher than ****. I have beaten mine unmercifully and it just looks at me like, "is that all you've got?"

Duffy
04-16-11, 14:12
In the AZ Wikieup MG shoot, I shot 1000rds of Wolf through mine, including Beta mag dumps. The Beta mag was responsible for more jams than either the rifle or ammo :p

ALCOAR
04-16-11, 16:35
In the AZ Wikieup MG shoot, I shot 1000rds of Wolf through mine, including Beta mag dumps. The Beta mag was responsible for more jams than either the rifle or ammo :p

Your only gonna reply w. a measly story of banging out 1k's of wolf when your Godfather as far as I'm concerned since your stretch is the first MRP that was ever released into the wild that I can personally document. Just busting balls:)....you are the OG though, and on one single chassis, your stretch has perhaps seen more rds. than any other one made to date since they were first released in the fall of 04'.

Duffy
04-16-11, 18:09
Well then..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNXMG_sdFLI

The rest was cut off because it kept jamming, that was the last time I ever used that POS Beta Mag :suicide2:

ALCOAR
04-16-11, 18:55
You dirty dawg.....that's stupendous, stuff like that makes me think that living in A-Stan or Sierra Leone might not be so bad given happy switches are perfectly legal:D

I don't see myself ever buying a RDS, or a colt m16 lower for the kinda cash it commands. WTF Beta mag...I won't heckle you about the length of the clip but damn that sucks when got the op to run F/A w/ the mrp you can't get's mags that feed the beast.

Did you shoot your CQB top on that lower...damn that would be fun(<-- Understatement of the year ):)

Duffy
04-16-11, 19:41
That wasn't my lower :mad:

The MRP ran great with other mags, now and then I did have to scrub the chamber, the Beta mag today still has the rounds loaded back in 2006, I never had a use for it again other than that one mag dump :D

JoshNC
04-16-11, 20:51
I don't see myself ever buying a RDS, or a colt m16 lower for the kinda cash it commands.

Trident, I highly recommend doing so. Not only is it outrageously fun as I am sure you are aware, but it also holds its value. Non-Colt registered receiver M16 lowers can be found for under $10k right now. I say go for it if you can afford it.

Jpm350z
04-16-11, 21:07
have two lmt piston uppers and never had a problem. one is my work horse and the other just sits in the safe. my go to lmt was about 1k rounds and never had a problem. the other one has about 100 rounds through it and runs perfectly. i use fed ammo and only that. the company has great customer service so if anything where to go wrong, im sure theyd fix it quick. qo with a piston. its cleaner and less cleaning involved. besides they run a lot cooler.

ALCOAR
04-16-11, 21:44
Trident, I highly recommend doing so. Not only is it outrageously fun as I am sure you are aware, but it also holds its value. Non-Colt registered receiver M16 lowers can be found for under $10k right now. I say go for it if you can afford it.

I would assume your either into or an owner of a happy switch..?

Am I wrong in assuming that I would much rather own a RDS than a colt or non colt registered lower? I'd rather not be tied into a old colt or other lower...esp. since I'm a lefty. I have always been on the lookout for a Norrel 10/22 trigger but haven't had the op to buy one at any kinda reasonable price. Oddly enough I know proof positive I would get every dollar's worth of use outta any registered happy switch I would buy. I would also get a cult like following from all my shooting pals and anybody who happens to be lucky enough to be at a range I'm visiting when the happy switch is on board....giving someone their first opportunity at shooting a F/A AR tends to make you the man:)

LowSpeed_HighDrag
04-16-11, 22:38
So the supplied torque wrench shouldn't be used?

Kill By Number
04-16-11, 22:44
Love the MRP! 4000-5000 rounds through mine. I've got both the 12" chrome lined piston and a 16" SS direct gas. I really prefer the piston and the short barrel. It shoots straight and is so much easier to clean with the piston, and handier in 12". I was scared of the broken bolt rumors so i tested my wrench first on something else, but I've never had any problem with the factory wrench. I did start to strip one bolt after numerous barrel changes but LMT sent me 2 new bolts at no charge when I asked about it.

ALCOAR
04-16-11, 23:15
So the supplied torque wrench shouldn't be used?

Most will say that's correct and it certainly will reduce to chances of sheering a $10 bolt, however if your buying a new MRP from LMT or one of the few very trusted dealers...than your getting a perfectly functioning and capable torque wrench for the job. What happens is, a LMT tech prior to packaging a said MRP up...it's assigned a new Torque wrench that the tech then takes and sets to the 140lbs per, then function checks it, then lastly they will tape it off and attach a label over the taped portion that reads the name of the tech who performed the calibration and function check and then the date in which they did it on.

So as long as you don't go jimmying w. the setting, the TW provided is GTG. Nothing is gonna crap out on the wrench besides the calibration so it's kinda got an undeserved bad rap....the only flaw is the fact it's not stressed that you cannot ever adjust or otherwise mess with the calibration is came to you in.

JoshNC
04-17-11, 08:15
I would assume your either into or an owner of a happy switch..?

Am I wrong in assuming that I would much rather own a RDS than a colt or non colt registered lower? I'd rather not be tied into a old colt or other lower...esp. since I'm a lefty. I have always been on the lookout for a Norrel 10/22 trigger but haven't had the op to buy one at any kinda reasonable price. Oddly enough I know proof positive I would get every dollar's worth of use outta any registered happy switch I would buy. I would also get a cult like following from all my shooting pals and anybody who happens to be lucky enough to be at a range I'm visiting when the happy switch is on board....giving someone their first opportunity at shooting a F/A AR tends to make you the man:)

I own two factory Colt M16s (one of them is up in my avatar photo....notice where the selector lever is set). Being that you are a fan of the Stoner family and have a collection of uppers, parts, etc... I would strongly recommend an M16 lower as your MG of choice. A Norrell 10/22 trigger pack is great fun (have friend who has one), but you will get much more mileage out of the M16. Spikes makes a 22lr conversion kit for the MRP which works rather nicely in semi and fullauto.

As for buying a registered receiver or a drop in autosear, I personally like the RR due to its mechanical correctness. A non-Colt registered receiver built on a forged lower would be my recommendation. The DIAS is nice due to the fact that you replace the lower if it ever wears out and put your DIAS into another rifle. Again, I prefer a factory correct registered receiver M16. Less trouble shooting when swapping uppers, etc....simply plug and play.

davidjinks
04-18-11, 05:41

vinsonr
04-18-11, 09:57
What kind of POI shift is expected when removing the barrel for cleaning and then reinstalling it?

I appreciate all the input so far everyone. Thank you!

I don't have an answer, yet, but my next trip to the range will involve testing POI shift when swapping out my 10.5" and 16" barrels. I've put a few thousand rounds through my CQB MRP with a 10.5" barrel, about 35% suppressed and it's been great. I only fired the 16" bbl on my gas impingement MRP once before swapping it to the 10.5", and accuracy was quite shitty. I had an ACOG on it and was firing indoors at 100yard with M855 ammo. I sometimes didn't hit the paper! I thought maybe I had purchased a bogus ACOG, and went home a bit dejected.

The next time out with the 10.5 was great, accuracy was there and I was happy, but it left me wondering if my 16" bbl was jacked up somehow. It took a while (a year) and I finally got the 16" back on to check the accuracy again. Lo and behold, it shot perfectly well (just about indistinguishable from the 16" piston MRP I was firing as well). Now I think that my original 16" bbl was not torqued properly when I first fired it.

For the OP, I've only swapped barrels about a dozen times, but have not had any issues. The tape has come off of my original torque wrench, but now I have another that came with the piston rig. The wrenches are pretty crappy however, and don't hold their setting very well. It'd be great to weld it in place instead of taping. LMT should look into doing that.

ALCOAR
04-18-11, 12:05
I didn't even double tap...weird

ALCOAR
04-18-11, 12:06
What kind of POI shift is expected when removing the barrel for cleaning and then reinstalling it?

I appreciate all the input so far everyone. Thank you!

You shouldn't exp. any noticeable shift at all...you'd be amazed. I pop barrels all the time to clean....and the reinstall, and I might have to re adjust zero by a click @ 100yds and that's on not only a re-installed barrel but a clean one as well. This almost zero shift has been extremely well documented by myself and some others.

I made you guys a video on a barrel install....taking a completely naked CQB chassis and assembling it with a BCG, CH, and a barrel...all in 2 min.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=viJE0o5TPX0

Suwannee Tim
04-18-11, 18:07
The bolts are 100% designed to sheer well short of the point that one would damage a chassis....

The clamp screws looks like typical socket head cap screws which are not designed to shear at any particular value. These bolts are not loaded in shear anyway, they are loaded in tension. A screw that is designed to break at some specific torque or shear is going to have a necked down section or groove which these bolts lack. I just about guarantee you, based on many years experience working with machines and in and around machine shops and having broken and stripped out more than a few bolts and screws, if you over-tighten the clamp screw on an MRP the thread insert is going to strip. The torque specified is well below that which would break the screw or strip the insert. The clamping force developed by this kind of split collar design it going to be much more than needed to hold the barrel at the design torque. I base this assertion on the Robinson XCR which design is no more than a single set screw but which adequately holds the barrel even though it has much less mechanical advantage than the LMT system. The Acme style key locking thread insert used by LMT is one of the most if not the most expensive thread insert but is very effective and can be easily removed and a new insert re-installed with basic tools and experience. I have never seen an Acme style thread insert fail by pulling the threads out of the base material, they will usually strip internally unless an unusually weak bolt is used. This is more true of stainless which is softer than alloy steel.

Magic_Salad0892
04-18-11, 18:23
Your not gonna find anything more rigid, reliable, and precisely crafted than a MRP chassis and Mike Rock single point cut rifled MRP barrel. It ruined me instantly:p

Unless it says ''Knights Armament'' on the side. :p:D

I really do want an MRP with a 9'' .300 BLK barrel though.

I would look so pretty on my KAC lower.

ALCOAR
04-18-11, 18:32
The clamp screws looks like typical socket head cap screws which are not designed to shear at any particular value. These bolts are not loaded in shear anyway, they are loaded in tension. A screw that is designed to break at some specific torque or shear is going to have a necked down section or groove which these bolts lack. I just about guarantee you, based on many years experience working with machines and in and around machine shops and having broken and stripped out more than a few bolts and screws, if you over-tighten the clamp screw on an MRP the thread insert is going to strip. The torque specified is well below that which would break the screw or strip the insert. The clamping force developed by this kind of split collar design it going to be much more than needed to hold the barrel at the design torque. I base this assertion on the Robinson XCR which design is no more than a single set screw but which adequately holds the barrel even though it has much less mechanical advantage than the LMT system.

I got two things working for my replies when I stat things on the MRP....Firstly I talk directly w. LMT on tech specs and instances of failures, secondly I'm run the MRP system as much or more than anybody I know of. I have talked w. LMT about these bolts on so many occasions and they are supposed to actually sheer prior to damage occurring on the chassis.

Go look at a bolt and report back...at the end of it, it spirals or necks down internally as in you actually have to examine it up close. I can document and provide pics if you don't have a MRP or bolt.

ALCOAR
04-18-11, 18:39
Unless it says ''Knights Armament'' on the side. :p:D

I really do want an MRP with a 9'' .300 BLK barrel though.

I would look so pretty on my KAC lower.

I love KAC, but just to be clear....I cannot tell you how many times I hear about new SR15 owners and issues(I understand why..dah,dah,dah, but nonetheless it is what it is), now on the other hand....I maybe heard of 2-3 occurrences of new MRP owners having even a single hiccup. I def. stand by my original statement you quoted of mine:)

Just like the E3 proprietary reliability mods....MRPs have angled gas ports, perfectly straight gas tubes, and headspace collars, all that on top of a Rock blank!
http://www.ar15barrels.com/tech/mrp-gas-port.jpg
http://ar15barrels.com/tech/lmt-mrp-extension.jpg
Pics were from ar15barrels.com

QuietShootr
04-18-11, 18:47
Hey Trident, are the 300blk barrels available yet? And what length and config (SS/CL?) is the short one going to be?

Suwannee Tim
04-18-11, 20:08
I got two things working for my replies when I stat things on the MRP....Firstly I talk directly w. LMT on tech specs and instances of failures, secondly I'm run the MRP system as much or more than anybody I know of. I have talked w. LMT about these bolts on so many occasions and they are supposed to actually sheer prior to damage occurring on the chassis.

Go look at a bolt and report back...at the end of it, it spirals or necks down internally as in you actually have to examine it up close. I can document and provide pics if you don't have a MRP or bolt.

Shooting the gun and understanding obscure design issues are two different things. My Uncle Jim wore out dozens of cars in his career of selling ladies shoes and he couldn't tell a fan belt from a flywheel. I've got a couple of things working for me, over 40 years of experience designing, buliding, repairing and selling machines and a BA in mechanical engineering. Looks like an absolutely box-stock 1/4-28 X 1-1/2 Torx head cap screw and I have seen many, many of them. I don't see any spiral but the threads or any necked down feature. It does have a little hole drilled in the end but screws don't break on the end. Looks like that may be a feature to present to a live center if they trued the shank of the screw. No skilled machine designer resorts to a costly custom made part when the solution is as easy as the proper thread insert, an off the shelf soution. That is one of the benefits of the expensive (a dollar of so) Acme style thread insert, it predictably fails first and it is easy to replace, just drill it, pull the remains out with a needle nose, screw in another and tap in the locks. If the hard alloy steel bolt did break instead of the insert, you would have a real problem getting the bolt out, after all, you couldn't get a wrench on it. I guarantee you, you sock one of these screws down tight enough to cause damage, it will be the thread insert that takes the hit. It may be that you misunderstood what they were telling you. I'm pretty impressed the LMT engineers talk to you "on so many occasions" about design minutiae like bolts, that's a real commitment of time. You must have a lot of clout with LMT to get so much face time. Before I get too far out on a limb, I have been as sure something as I am now and been proven wrong. In which case I admit my error and apologize. That's not a problem for me because I'm humble and eager to learn. I would like to see your documentation, I don't need a photo, I have 3 rifles and three or four spare uppers to look at.

Suwannee Tim
04-18-11, 20:19
.....Just like the E3 proprietary reliability mods....headspace collars,....

What's a headspace collar?

Come to think of it, that little hole in the end may be a feature to facilitate the removal of a broken screw. Even so, I still think the screw will never or almost never break. By the way, this thing we are talking about is a screw not a bolt. There is a difference. Referring to them as screws does avoid confusion with the bolt thinggy that holds the chamber shut.

ALCOAR
04-18-11, 20:36
Hey Trident, are the 300blk barrels available yet? And what length and config (SS/CL?) is the short one going to be?

I wish I knew or better yet wish I had it already in hand...however I haven't pushed for specifics once I was told I would get a t&e model asap. I did get a little impatient last week and asked and was told it was going a little while longer.

My guess is that the NFA length will be CL in material and 10.5" in length. I base the length on the fact that LMT understands the ability to run 8-10" barrels with this option and how advantageous it is when run that way and so they should make it the min. length required to run a suppressor in conjunct w. a CQB chassis. It needs at least 10.25" to assure suppressor mounting.

I am straight foaming at the mouth at this point...running this in NFA lengths w. a SDN-6 sounds like a pellet gun...all the while sending a freaking .30 cal projectile down range:eek::cool:

Tim....this is exactly what the bolt looks like when it sheers and it's repeatable in every case I see. So if it repeatedly sheering the same way..it's designed to do so. The cases usually involve a shortbus rider and this is certainly the case here.
http://lh5.ggpht.com/_kq-OiL_yaQw/TEet82_SRgI/AAAAAAAABzc/ZhhDpBjsbw0/s720/DSCI0082.JPG

eta..the headspace collar allows the Rock barrels to be straight "plug N play" and it's one of the aspects that allows the system to do the amazing things it does in respect to the versatility/modularity while it maintains total rigidity and strength in the process.

QuietShootr
04-18-11, 20:38
I wish I knew or better yet wish I had it already in hand...however I haven't pushed for specifics once I was told I would get a t&e model asap. I did get a little impatient last week and asked and was told it was going a little while longer.

My guess is that the NFA length will be CL in material and 10.5" in length. I base the length on the fact that LMT understands the ability to run 8-10" barrels with this option and how advantageous it is when run that way and so they should make it the min. length required to run a suppressor in conjunct w. a CQB chassis. It needs at least 10.25" to assure suppressor mounting.

I am straight foaming at the mouth at this point...running this in NFA lengths w. a SDN-6 sounds like a pellet gun...all the while sending a freaking .30 cal projectile down range:eek::cool:

Yeah, I'm needing one of those. I have a nice .30 can just waiting for such an animal. It's such a good idea I'm going to temporarily suspend my dislike of all things AAC to get one of these barrels.

Suwannee Tim
04-18-11, 20:46
http://lh5.ggpht.com/_kq-OiL_yaQw/TEet82_SRgI/AAAAAAAABzc/ZhhDpBjsbw0/s720/DSCI0082.JPG

That's pretty persuasive. I stand corrected. Good thing I'm humble.

QuietShootr
04-18-11, 20:53

Tim....this is exactly what the bolt looks like when it sheers and it's repeatable in every case I see. So if it repeatedly sheering the same way..it's designed to do so. The cases usually involve a shortbus rider and this is certainly the case here.

eta..the headspace collar allows the Rock barrels to be straight "plug N play" and it's one of the aspects that allows the system to do the amazing things it does in respect to the versatility/modularity while it maintains total rigidity and strength in the process.

One itty-bitty nitpick. That's not a shear, that's a tension fracture.

ETA citation: http://www.appliedbolting.com/pdf/stretch.pdf

ALCOAR
04-18-11, 21:11
No doubt about it, I slept through all my mechanical engineering classes while at Auburn:D I get terminology on that front wrong more than I get it right.

To add on the 300aac stuff, the barrel at SHOT was a blank done by Wilson Combat and was a 16" SS IIrc.

ETA....One more pic
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a178/DanHuu1225/CIMG0122copy.jpg

Magic_Salad0892
04-19-11, 07:26
I love KAC, but just to be clear....I cannot tell you how many times I hear about new SR15 owners and issues(I understand why..dah,dah,dah, but nonetheless it is what it is)

You win this one Trident.... :p

(I think it's because more people own KAC stuff, and many problems are user induced.)

What does a straight gas tube really do?

Spooky130
04-19-11, 10:23
I've heard of a few bolts breaking on the MRP and most of those are attributed to the cheap torque wrenches they send out with the rifles. Get a good torque wrench and be over it. And I've never heard of anyone stripping out the threads but I'm careful every time I swap out my barrels.

I've been using the MRP since 2004 or 2005. It has been dead on reliable in my use. I've only put it through one carbine course with EAG - between the pre-class, class and post-class work I had about 3000 rounds down it with no malfunctions. It was dirty as all hell and I've posted pics of it before and was bashed on how dirty it was. A little Slip 2000 and it kept running...

The only thing I find wrong with the platform is they tend to be a little heavier due to the rail (mine is a rifle length which doesn't help) and heavier profile barrel. I also think they could improve the specs in their 6.8 barrels - mine was one of the first and it was threaded 1/2x28 and has the old spec / non-SPCII chamber - I can live with the twist rate as is. I believe they have changed the threading to 5/8x24 so it is compatible with .308 flash hiders but they haven't updated the chambering or twist. I would like to upgrade the chamber with one of Ned's reamers but balk at the almost $300 to get it and I would only have one barrel to change.

90% of the feedback I've seen indicates that the 16 inch stainless barrel is typically the most accurate of the lot. I haven't heard much about the .204 Ruger barrels though.

What would be my suggestions if buying one now? I'd say go with the CQB length - is it compatible with all barrel lengths as well as both DI and piston systems. It would save a bit on the weight and give 95% of the users all the rail space they need. I'd get a 16" CL barrel for hard use and a 16" SS for accuracy.

Spooky

jakeb
04-19-11, 11:19
The .204 Ruger barrel is definitely a shooter. I've been working up loads for that barrel for the past year now and I have been nothing but pleased with the results. Every bullet type and powder type I have tried with it shoots great.

lifebreath
04-19-11, 11:26
Here's a link to a "torture test" result report. I don't know if the LMT was the MRP, and a sample of one is not statistically meaningful. However, it's an interesting read!

TORTURE TEST - COLT VS. LMT (http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=199061)

(I think it's OK to post a link to another site - didn't see anything to the contrary in the forum rules.)

OTO27
04-19-11, 11:48

(I think it's because more people own KAC stuff, and many problems are user induced.)

Magic, I think its got more to do with people not understanding what the rifle was designed to do and the fact its just not gona run crap ammo reliably.

I shoot crap ammo through my SR15 all the time, I have yet to get a malfunction(I got mine after they opened up the gas port). But if I did I should not be upset at the weapon, I should blame my self for it since the gun is not ment to run it reliably.

Now, on the other hand, the gun was ment for 5.56 loads, if I ever had a stopage due to ammo with quality 5.56 loads I'd be pissed. I dont know of any documented failures of an SR15 when fed what it was ment to be fed.

Sorry trident for the slight off topic, but I read statements like these all the time and I just wanted to clarify. I love both weapons I have one of each. They both have their weaknesses and strengths.

ZRH
04-19-11, 18:01
Here's a link to a "torture test" result report. I don't know if the LMT was the MRP, and a sample of one is not statistically meaningful. However, it's an interesting read!

TORTURE TEST - COLT VS. LMT (http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=199061)

(I think it's OK to post a link to another site - didn't see anything to the contrary in the forum rules.)
That's interesting. I would've expected similar performance actually.

davidjinks
04-19-11, 19:16

davidjinks
04-19-11, 19:19

mtdawg169
04-19-11, 19:49
How the heck do you get that broken piece out if you break off a bolt?

LowSpeed_HighDrag
04-19-11, 20:01
It's really a moot point to even post that link. That was the worst read I have ever done in regards to anything gun related…

No credible information in that link at all.

I agree, I could write that about anything, and with a test sample of 1 each, the results could be whatever. Today I dropped a Ferrari and a Lambo from a jumbo jet, they then performed flawlessly, but the Ferrari wins because it went 2mph faster than the lambo.

ALCOAR
04-19-11, 20:57
Anytime your trying to shed light or investigate a certain claim or performance of a part, it's best to all keep the testing realistic as in what the part of claim should commonly encounter vs. doing things just because it in some minutia way it's displaying extra strength or abilities.

Leaving clearly outta this comparison the MRP...the Colt and LMT standard M4 config'd rifle is by all accounts practically the same gun...not only in design but to the most minutia level of QC, Specs, and materials and manufacturing techniques.

Nothing means more to those two guns than their respective BCG's and I can say for sure that there isn't a winner b/t those even though for yrs. I had the Colt full circle f/a as my preferred bcg. If anybody ever claims the Colt, LMT, or say a BCM is anything but damn near identical...than you just found yourself a fanboy:D
Colt is on far left...LMT is on far right.
http://i55.tinypic.com/2qve0c2.jpg

Mtdawg....the bolt sheering occurrences are really rare even though there have been a few. All the ones Ive heard of also make claims that it was their fault as if we didnt already know that.

Since myself, nor anyone I know of has ever sheered a "screw(that's for you Tim and Quiet)" I cannot say for certain other than just knowing that it's super easy to remove given I've never heard that even come up as an issue. If it were me I would very easily just get a real small drill bit/drill that fits the recess of the end of the bolt and just lightly start to "drill" which will result in the sheered and threaded portion to easily unscrew well before any drill bit at low speed can start to actually drill out any material.

QuietShootr
04-19-11, 21:16
I have a couple of spare sets of screws, but i don't futz around with my barrel much, since I don't have a spare to switch out.

Magic_Salad0892
04-20-11, 01:36
Magic, I think its got more to do with people not understanding what the rifle was designed to do and the fact its just not gona run crap ammo reliably.

I shoot crap ammo through my SR15 all the time, I have yet to get a malfunction(I got mine after they opened up the gas port). But if I did I should not be upset at the weapon, I should blame my self for it since the gun is not ment to run it reliably.

Now, on the other hand, the gun was ment for 5.56 loads, if I ever had a stopage due to ammo with quality 5.56 loads I'd be pissed. I dont know of any documented failures of an SR15 when fed what it was ment to be fed.

Sorry trident for the slight off topic, but I read statements like these all the time and I just wanted to clarify. I love both weapons I have one of each. They both have their weaknesses and strengths.

I'm pretty much inclined to agree with you, hence the part in red. I was just leaving room for error. I too have never seen or heard of one with any REAL issue.

LONGBOWAH
04-20-11, 10:17
That's pretty persuasive. I stand corrected. Good thing I'm humble.

I have discussed this with LMT as well and the bolts are not standard bolts.

Every so often you see someone looking for OTS replacement bolts which is a) not recommended and b) probably the source of many of the OP's "numerous broken bolt" stories.

I have had not problems with mine and when I asked LMT if I could buy 2 spares (in case I lost one or ?) they sent them to me no charge.

Yep, I'm sticking with the MRP platform and LMT as a company.

ALCOAR
04-20-11, 12:04
Yep, LMT way back when I first contacted them sent me some bolts and washers for free and some other thoughtful goodies, and I know many others that got this same treatment, LMT is pure regal and class no doubt about it. I knew right then I would have a very long love affair and relationship w. LMT's monolithic systems. I could however have never imagined how much each time out I appreciate more and more the totally unmatched performance, reliability, versatility, modularity, and rigidity of this system and it's yielded accuracy and flawless operation though.

davidjinks
04-20-11, 12:27

Suwannee Tim
04-20-11, 17:32
I'm very pleased with my LMT guns. Does anyone know if they will sell a MPR upper less barrel? I equipped one of mine with a Spikes dedicated 22 LR barrel.

ALCOAR
04-20-11, 17:42
David...check my reply above w. the pic of the Colt, LMT, and BCM bcg's. I honestly believe they will all perform equally even though I like certain minutia aspects of each like LMT's bolt, BCM machining, and Colt's finish. LMT's is the cheapest so that is prob. the one I would rec.

Tim, LMT doesnt sell the chassis naked....however anything is possible if you were to contact them directly about it. I think they should.

vinsonr
04-20-11, 18:08
yes they do: http://www.lmtstore.com/monolithic-rail-platforms-mrp-cqb/cqb-close-quarter-battle-mrp-carbine-version.html

ETA: doh, that includes a barrel.

Duffy
04-20-11, 21:33
When Wolf ammo caused problems for my friends, it works just fine in my MRP, they're all scratching their heads and could not understand why :sarcastic:

Suwannee Tim
04-21-11, 19:17
One itty-bitty nitpick. That's not a shear, that's a tension fracture...

It's torsion which is shear and tension combined. The article says bolts should never strip. I agree. The base material will often strip though.

QuietShootr
04-21-11, 19:20
When Wolf ammo caused problems for my friends, it works just fine in my MRP, they're all scratching their heads and could not understand why :sarcastic:

Yeah, mine eats it fine.