PDA

View Full Version : Question about Colt carry handles

Newaza
04-16-11, 14:06
I just acquired a new BCM lightweight mid-length upper, and I would like to get a new carry handle for it ASAP. I see that BCM is out of carry handles, so I was thinking about getting a Colt.

Are these just as good as the BCM? I assume the Colts are mil-spec even though they may come out of various forges. However, knowing how Colt has, in years past, tended to do their own proprietary thing from time to time, I was wondering if some of the Colt carry handles may be incompatible with the F marked front sight post on my BCM upper.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Find ManBearPig!
04-16-11, 14:29
I just acquired a new BCM lightweight mid-length upper, and I would like to get a new carry handle for it ASAP. I see that BCM is out of carry handles, so I was thinking about getting a Colt.

Are these just as good as the BCM? I assume the Colts are mil-spec even though they may come out of various forges. However, knowing how Colt has, in years past, tended to do their own proprietary thing from time to time, I was wondering if some of the Colt carry handles may be incompatible with the F marked front sight post on my BCM upper.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Lower quality? I highly doubt that. Colt is, and always will be, the standard for quality. I'm also nearly positive that it will be compatible. Colt builds the guns and parts to Mil-Spec, BCM builds guns and parts to mil-spec. However, I'm sure a more experienced member could chime in and help you. If your still in doubt, I would contact Colt directly.

ZRH
04-16-11, 14:29
Yes. I hope you are getting a deal on it though. They aren't worth the $130 Colt charges.

It doesn't matter what forge it comes from. If you've ever seen a full sized drop forge and the staff required to run one, you'd know why very few companies do it in house. They are also only profitable if they are running nearly 24/7. They make a contract with specific criteria, the forge follows it.

Most heavy industry works this way.

markm
04-16-11, 14:41
I've used BCM and Colt and consider them the same quality. They both track right and zero close to mechanical zero on an in spec FSB/barrel.

Newaza
04-16-11, 15:36
Thanks, guys. That's what I thought.

Quentin
04-16-11, 18:00
You might want to pick up a used one since they're always for sale for $40-50, etc. on the EE and other places. Just make sure it's milspec height and has a recognizable forge mark. I found two used Cerro Forges a year ago for $27 each plus $10 shipping on eBay of all places. Also have found Anchor Harvey and Cardinal Forge for $35.

Avoid Bushmaster, ArmaLite, DPMS and others that are commercial height. And of course stay clear of the Chinese knockoffs.

markm
04-16-11, 18:15
I found two used Cerro Forges a year ago for $27 each plus $10 shipping on eBay of all places. Also have found Anchor Harvey and Cardinal Forge for $35.

Buying based on forge is part of the story. You can't tell who did the finish machining and if they used mil spec parts in the sight assembly though.

Avoid Bushmaster, ArmaLite, DPMS and others that are commercial height. And of course stay clear of the Chinese knockoffs.

Aside from the out of spec height, crappy sight parts will make some of those models useless if you want to dial in elevation.

JoshNC
04-16-11, 20:48
Newaza, I sent you an email via the forum.

pat701
04-17-11, 09:44
Colts are GTG.

KaBar762
04-17-11, 10:47
I've got a Bushmaster barreled upper built by PKFirearms. Front sight base is not marked with a F. What carry handle should I get? Comm or Mil?

ETA: Its a 20" barreled upper.

56-210
04-17-11, 11:36
I've got a Bushmaster barreled upper built by PKFirearms. Front sight base is not marked with a F. What carry handle should I get? Comm or Mil?

I was just looking into this, if I'm not mistaken the F marked base uses the mil spec...

scottryan
04-17-11, 12:07

You need a commercial dimension carry handle.

warpigM-4
04-17-11, 14:11
You need a commercial dimension carry handle.

That would also need to have the 3/8 mark on the dial also right??

Quentin
04-17-11, 14:55
Buying based on forge is part of the story. You can't tell who did the finish machining and if they used mil spec parts in the sight assembly though...

Very true but if you can inspect the carry handle or a good picture of it, it's obvious if the sight is commercial or milspec height.

I would always buy the milspec height carry handle because very likely you'll later want to buy a good BUIS that flips up/down (and they are milspec height).

So what you want to do is correct your Bushmaster front sight by buying their taller front sight post (about $6). I did this with my ArmaLite (using the BM taller post) to solve the problem once and for all.

ETA:

That (commercial dimension carry handle) would also need to have the 3/8 mark on the dial also right??

All removable carry handles should have elevation wheels marked 6/3 (not 8/3 which is for the A2 style uppers).