PDA

View Full Version : Simply put, I need opinions for my optics!

JohnnyRingo35
04-16-11, 17:23
I understand everybody has their opinions on what brand is best for certain reasons but a little help from people with more experience than myself never hurt. I am just now getting into ARs and their modifications. I would love to gain as much knowledge as possible because I have already fallen in love with it. Anyway, on to the question! What would be a solid choice for a starting set of optics? I have done my research and everything has its pros and cons. I want something that is going to last, be accurate, easy to operate, and is also affordable. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated...

OutlawDon
04-16-11, 17:32
The mission/role will drive the equipment choice.

How far do you plan to shoot?

What are you shooting at? paper? etc?

And exactly what setup is your AR?

Help us out to help you. Your question is way too general...it's like asking "what car should I get?" without throwing any ideas at us.

Hmac
04-16-11, 17:36
WIthout specifying a budget or your intended use, it's hard to guess what would suit your needs.

Red dot sight, or 1-4x scope? Those are the two broad categories. RDS is optimal for close-in and out to maybe 50 yards, 1-4x beyond that. Not to say RDS isn't usable beyond 50 nor that a 1-4x isn't usable at shorter distances.

Best bang-for-buck is going to be the Eotech XPS line or OPMOD, unless you are .mil or LEO agency, or someone here will PM you the name of an Aimpoint dealer that's willing to ignore their dealer agreement, in which case your best bet is easily the $400 Aimpoint Pro.

TehLlama
04-16-11, 17:40
The 'what automobile' analogy is pretty close - the difference between a short SBR and a varminter is as big as between an Fiesta and a Suburban.

As far as value trends:
Aimpoints are tough as nails reflex sights. Look at the PRO.
Trijicon makes excellent dual illuminated models, like the 1-4x TR24, or ACOG
Leupold makes very competitively priced magnified optics across the board
Nightforce are pricy, but absolutely great glass for the money
If you have the cash, the options like S&B, USO, Premier, Hensholdt are there, but again, probably doesn't apply just now.

If you're just getting into this, my immediate recommendation (without much context) would be the Aimpoint PRO - easily one of the best optics from 0-200m for the money.

markm
04-16-11, 17:55
Don't fall into the dependence on Digital gear yet. Get a year of shooting under your belt. There are some of us Long time shooters who do much better with good irons.... (not that flip up rubbish!)

shootist~
04-16-11, 17:58
I have done my research and everything has its pros and cons.

Yep, and as Mass used to say, "There is no free brunch, Buffy".

There are trade offs to any system. Red Dots are great for low light and close-in with speed, but suck for even intermediate range if you have astigmatism or older eyes.

There are several good 1-4's that can get you to the dance pretty well for close to intermediate distances without breaking the bank. (Think $500 and up.)

2.5-10 is better if precision is primary at longer distance or if targets are small. You can also go way up in dollars for a 1.1-6x and cover most bases.

Then there are the various ACOGs with their own pros and cons within their own group. They work very well, but are fixed power.

Pick your poison - if you shoot much, it's likely you will end up owning a few.

SGB
04-16-11, 18:47
Like everything else in the toolbox, different tools do different jobs. Decide what your AR's primary role will be and outfit it accordingly

http://oi56.tinypic.com/161e3ar.jpg

usmcvet
04-16-11, 19:43
Lots of good advice above. I would suggest you see if you can actually try some optics out. It could save you a lot of ass ache and money. Do you have an astigmatism like me? I found out the hard way that the 4 MOA dot on a pair of Aimpiint H1s was not going to work well for me. I now have a pair of M4 Aimpoints with the 2 MOA dot and it works better. I also had a TR24G an Awesome scope but it was heavier and bulkier than I wanted but it was great with my astigmatism.

MarkM brings up a good point. Run your gun as it is for a while and learn it well. Others will argue that an optic is a necessity. It is not necessarily. You need to decide what is best for you and "your mission" so to speak. I would suggest a good weapon light and sling before an optic.

By the way welcome aboard. Great first post.

usmcvet
04-16-11, 19:47
Another thing to consider. Optics fog and batteries fail. That said I think the Aimpoints offer excellent battery life. I like that mine take regular AA batteries. It is kind of a Ford/Chevy thing. Of course we all know Chevy is better. ;)

JohnnyRingo35
04-16-11, 23:20
Thanks for the advice everybody.

I just purchased the 300 AAC Blackout 9" SBR to put on a DPMS lower.

I have been looking at the XPS 2-0/3-0 with the 3x and the Aimpoint PRO.

I have the Surefire Model 660 for my light, Magpul buttstock, pistol grip, and foregrip, YHM MBUS, a set of Magpul MBUS, and the BCM Large charging handle. Need to look at some good slings.

As for a budget, I am on deployment (Navy) so I can afford something a little pricey but why pay $1000 when I can get something just as good for a better price. Handling weapons is my job so I am very familiar with the operation. I just have limited knowledge on most of the mods. I shoot fairly well but could use improvement.

Close to intermediate shooting would be my primary mission and then learning to shoot at further distance would be secondary.

usmcvet
04-17-11, 07:05
Johnny

Something similar to your what you use on you work gun might be a good idea.