PDA

View Full Version : New Aquisition

Ak44
04-16-11, 19:43
Picked up a new gun...S&W 340PD w/ No Internal Lock :cool:

http://img39.imageshack.us/img39/788/340sl.jpg

http://img51.imageshack.us/img51/6749/3401.jpg

I like the gun it's lightweight and I picked up a few boxes of Gold Dots in 38spl+p. I'm curious if there is anything I should get done to the gun other than maybe CT Grips. I'm not too familiar with Revolver Gunsmiths and it seems that a lot of people get their larger revolvers worked on as oppose to small J frames. Is there anything that stands out that I should get done to this gun or should I keep it factory? The trigger pull is kinda ridiculous but I figure that's normal with a DAO revolver.

Beat Trash
04-16-11, 21:09
I'd get some snap caps and start to dry fire it.

Other than possible some CT grips, go shoot the thing.

F-Trooper05
04-16-11, 21:46
Looks great. Definitely get a CT grip if you can afford it.

kmrtnsn
04-16-11, 22:36
I wouldn't waste the money on laser grips. Finding little red dots on paper at the indoor range is a whole lot different than finding them on a three dimensional moving target that comes in various colors in bright sunlight. Buy ammo and learn to shoot it. We have one, they take a bit of getting used to for some, especially when throwing .357 down range.

SWAT Lt.
04-17-11, 10:06
Add CTC laser grips or Hogue Bantams, whichever you prefer, and then shoot it. Don't allow any "gunsmithing."

Pistol Shooter
04-17-11, 12:04
Buy plenty of ammo and get to the range ASAP. :D

Good looking S&W, congratulations.

ChrisG19
04-17-11, 14:27
Very nice! Don't add anything until you shoot it... a lot. Then you can determine what you need for it's mission.

warpigM-4
04-17-11, 14:35
very nice i have been looking for a wheel gun for my wife .I have let her carry automatics in her purse, But would rather have something like this she could fire while still in her purse with out it locking up .good buy

ghettomedic
04-17-11, 14:44
I wouldn't waste the money on laser grips. Finding little red dots on paper at the indoor range is a whole lot different than finding them on a three dimensional moving target that comes in various colors in bright sunlight. Buy ammo and learn to shoot it. We have one, they take a bit of getting used to for some, especially when throwing .357 down range.

A CT laser for a J-frame is the best investment you can make. How many shootings occur in low, altered or failing light? Laser grips make the J-frame a much more viable defensive handgun under adverse conditions and Vickers and Hackathorn have said in the past they should come standard on every small revolver.

As far as the trigger, about 3000 dry fires will smooth it out a lot. When I first got mine, I used to sit around watching TV and dry fire hundreds of times. It's still stout, but has smoothed out a ton.

GermanSynergy
04-17-11, 14:52
Very sweet. Where did you get it?

Ak44
04-17-11, 14:57
Thanks everybody. I'll definitely dry fire the crap out of this thing to smooth things out. Just curious if there was anything that needed to be done to a revolver since this is my first wheel gun.

GermanSynergy, I got it from my buddy's shop. Camfour and Ellett Brothers still have No Internal Lock S&W's in their inventory. I checked the fired shell casing envelope and the label was dated Nov 2010. :cool:

Beat Trash
04-17-11, 21:07
Thanks everybody. I'll definitely dry fire the crap out of this thing to smooth things out. Just curious if there was anything that needed to be done to a revolver since this is my first wheel gun.

Needs to be done? Nope...