PDA

View Full Version : Question....Colt Match Target.

xXxplosive
04-16-11, 23:01
The New Jersey Statutes state that the Colt Match Target Rifle is NJ compliant as the manufacturer has stated there have been changes made to the rifle that make it different than the AR....other than the 3 round burst, does anyone know what changes if any make this a legal gun in New Jersey to own.

Thanks for your help..........

ZRH
04-17-11, 03:04
Colt semiautomatic AR-15 rifles do not have a 3 round burst. Colt Match Target rifles are permitted because they do not have AR-15 printed on the side and they lack a couple cosmetic features.

http://www.nraila.org/media/misc/nj.htm

Redline
04-17-11, 11:58
Short answer why it's legal is that it doesn't have a bayonet lug, flash suppressor, and collapsable stock. U can have any of the Colt Match Target guns in NJ. U want the MT6400c or MT6400. Which from what I can tell is a NJ legal LE6920. It just doesn't have the collapsable stock, bayonet lug, and flash suppressor.

Here's what I have on what NJ law says. I think some of this info was not in the NRA link that ZRH provided but I could be wrong. When they talk about substantially identical firearms below they ARE talking about the list of firearms in the NRA link that ZRH provided. The main thing u have to be concerened with for rifles is section A below.

A semi-automatic firearm should be considered to be "substantially identical," that is, identical in all material respects, to a named assault weapon if it meets the below listed criteria:

A. semi-automatic rifle that has the ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least 2 of the following:

a folding or telescoping stock;
a pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon;
a bayonet mount;
a flash suppressor or threaded barrel designed to accommodate a flash suppressor; and
a grenade launcher;

B. a semi-automatic pistol that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least 2 of the following:

an ammunition magazine that attaches to the pistol outside of the pistol grip;
a threaded barrel capable of accepting a barrel extender, flash suppressor, forward handgrip, or silencer;
a shroud that is attached to, or partially or completely encircles, the barrel and that permits the shooter to hold the firearm with the nontrigger hand without being burned;
manufactured weight of 50 ounces or more when the pistol is unloaded; and
a semi-automatic version of an automatic firearm; and,

C. a semi-automatic shotgun that has at least 2 of the following:

a folding or telescoping stock;
a pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon;
a fixed magazine capacity in excess of 5 rounds; and
an ability to accept a detachable magazine.
III. Inquiries from Private Citizens

Law enforcement officers should, whenever possible, attempt to be helpful and to respond to inquiries concerning particular firearms. Private citizens should also be encouraged to consult with their own attorneys and, where necessary, referred to the Firearms Unit of the Division of State Police.

IV. Purpose and Effect of these Guidelines

In enforcing this law, prosecutors and police should remember that an assault firearms offense requires proof that the defendant knows he or she possesses an assault firearm, e.g., that the defendant knows that the firearm is "substantially identical" to one of the named assault weapons.

These guidelines should be followed by all county prosecutors and all law enforcement officers in this State so that the State's assault firearms laws will be uniformly enforced throughout the State.

hellbound
04-18-11, 09:09
the Colt MT6400C is the closest thing to an LE6920 that you can own in NJ.

the barrel is the same, just without the threaded muzzle (which is banned in NJ). if I still lived there, I would have had the barrel chopped to 14.5" and a BC 1.5 permanently attached. the factory colt brake is effective, but it's loud and kind of big/clunky looking.

Here was my MTM4 circa 2005-2006 with the ARMS SIR
http://i640.photobucket.com/albums/uu123/__hellbound__/AR15/OLD/MTM4_1.jpg

most recently it was a 14.5" Colt SOCOM barrel w/ 7" LT rail and aimpoint comp m4s... right now it's in pieces waiting for a 14.5" middy barrel to go with the 12" rail...