PDA

View Full Version : New Rifle: Arrived Dirty...?

Ark1443
04-17-11, 09:03
First off, been reading these forums for over two years everyday (its my morning paper :sarcastic: ), just rarely post.

After gathering all the information I required from this website and others, I recently purchased my first AR, a "new" Daniel Defense M4v3 midlength gas system AR.

Today during my take down and cleaning of the AR, it was noticeably dirty. The first few patches that I ran through it, even after a bore snake, were pitch black with fouling. The firing pin had a small amount but noticeable of carbon on it, though it whipped clean off.

Everything seems quite new, and lacked reasonable lubrication, but the barrel took three cleanings to make it even resemble being a new barrel.

Is this normal? I am new to the AR platform, and I know I purchased from one of the top manufacturers, and that they test it before it leaves their factory, but I was rather surprised that they'd send out a rifle so dirty. The barrel even now, with my bore light, does not look as smooth as my Springfield M1A standard which has had a fair few rounds put through it, or even my .22 which has even more through it... And neither of those rifles came dirty.

Can someone help put my worried mind to rest here?

Belmont31R
04-17-11, 09:06
1. A good company will actually test fire their rifles before being sent out.

2. If you bought from the wrong person they might have had a little test spin.

Maybe just 1. Maybe just 2. Maybe both.

Rebel Rifle Ordnance
04-17-11, 09:08
My understanding is that all guns are test fired from the factory. Depending on what kind of ammo they used, could lead to more fouling than usual. I wouldn't worry about it in the least.

I used to be like you and have everything mirror shiny. Now that I shoot more often and have a lot of guns, I don't clean ever time. With the propellants used today in modern loads, IMHO it doesn't cause any problem not cleaning say every other shoot more maybe every third shoot. Provided that you don't run 100's of rounds each time you shoot.

Ark1443
04-17-11, 09:12
What is interesting is, when I went in to order the gun (of course they did not have any on the shelf, only the usual junk), the main worker tried to sell me on a piston SIG 556, which I politely said no.

They had apparently rarely heard of "Daniel Defense."

It arrived a day later than they quoted me, and when I went in to pick it up, that same guy was all bright faced and stated, "That is a really nice rifle."

... wonder if he did take a spin with it! :mad:

Bsully
04-17-11, 09:31

That was your sign to run Forest run...

Can't imagine a reputable gun dealer not knowing about DD.

Quentin
04-17-11, 09:35
My recent Daniel Defense upper also came dirty and it was mailed to me straight from their factory - no middle man. Of course that was due to test firing and after a quick clean, inspection and lube I was out dirtying it up again.

I'd say be glad it was tested before you got it and enjoy dirtying it up. You made an excellent choice in the M4V3 BTW!

pat701
04-17-11, 09:37
You clean any new gun regardless if dirty or not.

Hmac
04-17-11, 09:49
That was your sign to run Forest run...

Can't imagine a reputable gun dealer not knowing about DD.REally? I suspect that the majority of gun dealers haven't heard of Daniel Defense, nor Noveske, nor Bravo Company, nor LMT, and that same majority believes that DPMS or Bushmaster are "good to go".

markm
04-17-11, 09:53
A barrel is substantially fouled after just one shot. A study of the bolt group will tell you if the gun has fired more than a handful of test rounds.

Inuvik
04-17-11, 10:10
I received a new custom bolt gun at work on Friday. It was surprisingly dirty (obviously fired quite a bit). I was upset for about 2 seconds before I realized that I would much rather receive a new gun that had been test fired after assembly, as opposed to one that the builder ASSumed was GTG.

Obviously if the gun shop is taking "new" rifles out for extended test drives, that is a different issue.

M4arc
04-17-11, 10:33
As others have said, the gun should have been test fired before it left the factory. My only concern is did the dealer order this gun straight for Daniel Defense?

Ark1443
04-17-11, 10:52
He ordered apparently the V4 by accident (even though I told him specifically about five times during the transaction I wanted the Daniel defense M4 V3 mid-length gas system, 16" barrel rifle.

They claimed that the original distributor they had ordered from was actually sold out, but they used another one of their supposed nine distributors and ordered from them.

As for the rest of the gun, as I stated is clearly new parts, no visible signs of use or wear & tear except for the bottom of the bolt carrier group itself, which had what appeared to be some copper on it (though I cleaned it up).

The most unfortunate side of all of this is I spent all of my side money for the rifle and mags (15 pmags). I figure I can get the ammo in a few weeks, but the urge to go shoot this thing is building every day... like a drug addict craving his fix! :blink:

Mac5.56
04-17-11, 11:00
What is interesting is, when I went in to order the gun (of course they did not have any on the shelf, only the usual junk), the main worker tried to sell me on a piston SIG 556, which I politely said no.

It arrived a day later than they quoted me, and when I went in to pick it up, that same guy was all bright faced and stated, "That is a really nice rifle."

That's what that sounds like to me! What an asshole! But, I also expect the worst out of people some times.

As for the ammo:

Ummmm, you can't afford twenty bucks? Shit, if I was you, I would eat Ramen noodles for a week or something if my budget was that tight.

Ark1443
04-17-11, 11:04
When I looked down the barrel with my bore light, it looked as dirty as my ruger 10/22 after about 200 rounds... if that gives you an idea.

*edit*

As for $20, I can, I'm just wrapping up some medical bills first and paying car insurance... priorities! :D

Mac5.56
04-17-11, 11:06
Understood. Whenever I buy I rifle I always ask the shop to throw in a box of Ammo... Works about 80% of the time... :)

zibby43
04-17-11, 11:34
When I received my new DDM4V3, the there was a "tag" along with it that said it had been test fired, cleaned, and then lubed. My rifle is cleaned, lubed, and ready to go.

Dunderway
04-17-11, 11:49
I'm not sure about Daniel Defense, but every product I have ever ordered from LMT has arrived in similar condition even if it's in a sealed package.

scoutfsu99
04-17-11, 14:15
While it's not entirely unheard of, I doubt your FFL took your rifle on a joy ride to the range. It sounds like it was test fired and shipped. That's a good thing - DD ensured your rifle was good to go.

Of course he tried to push a rifle that he had on his wall rather than order one. I'm sure you would do the same if was your store/inventory. That being said, you still got a DD rifle - so they didn't push too hard. Did they jack up their FFL fee? Refuse to order it since they had AR's on the wall?

It sounds like you got a good, working rifle. Enjoy it.

warpigM-4
04-17-11, 14:18
one good thing if he did take you gun for a spin Maybe just maybe they will get some on their shelves and realize BM and DPMS are not what they need to be selling:sarcastic:

markdh720
04-17-11, 17:20
I received a BCG from BCM a couple weeks back. It had a fair amount of carbon on it which made me feel good because I didn't know that they tested their BCGs like that. I'd rather buy a product from a company that tested my purchased items rather than just building and pushing out their product.

OTO27
04-17-11, 17:44

You know the same thing happened to me when I piked up my SR15 at my FFL. I arrived to pick it up, said I am here for the SR15. Then he grabbed an open cardboard box containing a rifle case and my SR15. All the guys behind the counter gathered and one said "dude thats a sweet rifle man, good job!" before they even removed the gun case from the OPENED cardboard box. Not to mention when I inspected the rifle the front sights on the URX were bent at an extreme angle. They all said, thats how it came man... Yeah I call BS! On top of that the thing was filthy, I know KAC test fires them, but this was crazy dirty. Needless to say KAC fixed it with no questions asked and I no longer use that FFL, which will remain anonimous, cough cough (DFW gun range) cough cough......

chavez_e_chavez
04-17-11, 17:48
not to worry , i myself have a DDm4 and the upper had some residue etc but its not like when you buy a new corvette or car it has 00000000 miles on it!!:sarcastic::sarcastic::sarcastic::sarcastic:

ucrt
04-17-11, 18:03
He ordered apparently the V4 by accident (even though I told him specifically about five times during the transaction I wanted the Daniel defense M4 V3 mid-length gas system, 16" barrel rifle.

They claimed that the original distributor they had ordered from was actually sold out, but they used another one of their supposed nine distributors and ordered from them.

================================

I might be wrong but I wouldn't think that DD is setup through "distributors"? I thought DD went straight to Dealers without another middleman (distributor). I'm probably wrong but if DD did have distributors, I wouldn't think that they were big enough to have nine of them.
Didn't know there was enough profit margin in quality AR's to have distributor prices and then dealer prices...?

Sounds like they're blowing smoke up your rear.

But maybe it's just me...

Ark1443
04-17-11, 18:41
In the end though I'm quite happy with the purchase. Just need a good three point sling, and large quantities of ammo!

I plan on a Aimpoint in the future, once I save up some more spare money after buying a sling and ammo. Have not decided on a micro or a comp m3 or m4, but that's getting off topic.

For now I'll master the irons, because that's always a smart thing to do! :)

On a side note, anyone like the green tip 62g NATO stuff? Was thinking of buying that in bulk for some range time.

seb5
04-17-11, 19:53
Shoot that thing! Congratulations on your new purchase. Is there a reason you want a 3 point? There are better options.

Ark1443
04-17-11, 19:55
Better options such as?

Belmont31R
04-17-11, 20:00
Blue Force Gear 2 point.

I used to use 3 points and the 2 point does the same thing without the 3rd strap getting in the way.

Ark1443
04-17-11, 20:43
Before we go too far off of the original topic, thanks for all of the information gents. You have put my slightly concerned mind to rest.

I'll still be around, everyday actually... multiple times... reading. I just don't come out from lurking in the shadows to post very often.

Maybe in a few more months? :D

ST911
04-17-11, 20:43
You clean any new gun regardless if dirty or not.

Cleaning is a matter of preference. Far more important is a close inspection and test firing of any new gun.

duece71
04-18-11, 07:19
I ordered the exact same gun from a sporting goods shop north of CMH. I have done a transfer through them before and everything was good with that. The dealer has heard of DD but he has not sold one before. He called DD direct and ordered straight from them, was told everything was backordered but order right away as there was a waiting list for the V3. The rifle is due in my hands next month (May), I will break down the rifle and inspect it before it leaves the shop. I am expecting some carbon from test firing.

Daemonbane
04-18-11, 09:26
Both of my BCM uppers I ordered from Bravo Co USA were some what dirty, also reeked of being shot. Not a problem as far as I was concerned, both shoot fantastically and both were coated in some kind of spray lube for shipping so all is good.

Unless the rifle was damaged, dinged, or oozing filth, I would think it should be OK. At least it isn't like the guns at a cabela's by me, a lot of the pistols have rust in the rifling and most of their 'used' have mild rust all over...

tog
04-18-11, 17:31
Many years ago I ordered a new fal. It was fired and dirty by the time it left the factory. They even sent along the target they used.

OldState
04-19-11, 00:12
My new Colt LE6920 came dirty. There were copper marks on the feed ramps to. However there was no evidence of wear on the BCG parts so I figured it was from test firing.

11B101ABN
04-19-11, 03:22
Dirty guns make baby Jesus smile.

Tigereye
04-19-11, 06:28
The DDv5 I just got came with a slightly dirty barrel but not much to speak of on the bolt, bcg, etc. Cleaned, lubed, shot, and repeated. My dealer ordered directly from DD and it came wrapped in plastic in its case. I've never heard of a distributor on either of my DD's.