PDA

View Full Version : Mag Catch fix?

m4brian
04-17-11, 14:15
If one has an AK which has vertical play in the rear, can one simply get a more robust catch (has more steel above the pivot) and replace it to take up the slack??? I don't know if this is the section to post this, but here it is.

Thanks.

buckshot1220
04-17-11, 14:24
Yes you can. I had the same problem with a Bulgy SSR85. I ordered three mag catches from Copes Dist. and used the one that had the least play. Order a new rivet while you're at. To mushroom the rivet I used steel balls from a ball bearing and used a vice as a press.

Play is normal in this area though. The only reason I did anything about it is because mine was so bad it would misfeed (bullet tip hitting above the chamber). If yours isn't malfunctioning I would just leave it alone.

TOrrock
04-17-11, 14:27
Play is normal in this area though. The only reason I did anything about it is because mine was so bad it would misfeed (bullet tip hitting above the chamber). If yours isn't malfunctioning I would just leave it alone.

:big_boss:

m4brian
04-17-11, 14:45
On one it is not a problem. The other is bad enough to let the bullet nose dive into the bullet guide. If I use Chinese mags this is averted, but the wobble is horrendous. Some of this is OC, some of it is practical - understand.

Where are decent on-line instructions on popping out and reinserting he rivet? Thanks.

buckshot1220
04-17-11, 15:13
On one it is not a problem. The other is bad enough to let the bullet nose dive into the bullet guide. If I use Chinese mags this is averted, but the wobble is horrendous. Some of this is OC, some of it is practical - understand.

Where are decent on-line instructions on popping out and reinserting he rivet? Thanks.

A new mag catch isn't going to make a tremendous difference in mag wobble side to side.

As for instructions, you probably won't find much as even most kits come with this piece still assembled.

Here is my attempt at directions:
1.) Drill out one side of rivet
2.) Carefully remove rivet being mindful of spring tension (hold mag catch so it doesn't go flying)
3.) Reassemble mag catch and spring (a friend is helpful here) into trigger guard and insert rivet
4.) Use ball from ball bearing (can't remember size) or somehting similar and vice to peen over edges of rivet. Be sure that during this process you have roughly equal amounts of the rivet protruding from each side so as to have enough material holding the rivet
5.) Go test fire and make sure you have no misfeeds etc.

Hope this helps.

m4brian
04-18-11, 11:08
Buckshot - thanks much!

m4brian
04-19-11, 07:26
More research is turning up that if an feg is built on a sa 2000 receiver and the trigger guard/mag latch is not changed out, the distance is a tad oversized for regular steel mags. Hence the reported looseness issues with these.
SA2000 trigger guards are slightly diff. I guess wasrs did not have this problem?

But chinese/albanian mags can be helpful.

This can make the mag sit too low in the receiver. Not good. Other kinds of looseness usually doesn't matter.

buckshot1220
04-20-11, 11:47
Never heard that before, but anyway, you could always have an experienced welder run a bead along the top of the catch and then file to fit.

I would do this OFF of the gun and get a pin of the same diameter of the rivet to use for testing fit between filing before you rivet the "fixed" mag catch in place.