PDA

View Full Version : Nightstand pistol

TonyTacoma
04-17-11, 14:45
Hey folks,

Looking for some input, I own a handfull of pistols that all serve duty as carry, HD, vehicle carry and so on.. I want to add a dedicated nightstand gun to my collection. Im thinking large caliber, .45acp possibly, size isn't really a consideration since this won't be a carry pistol. Id also like to use a laser, prefferebly a grip laser not a rail mounted one. I also would like a reasonable trigger pull, I own a couple of 1911's that currently ride in my nightstand but both have very light trigger pulls, im looking for something more substantial in a trigger pull to stay away from accidental discharge under stress.

Recommendations?

C4IGrant
04-17-11, 14:48
Hey folks,

Looking for some input, I own a handfull of pistols that all serve duty as carry, HD, vehicle carry and so on.. I want to add a dedicated nightstand gun to my collection. Im thinking large caliber, .45acp possibly, size isn't really a consideration since this won't be a carry pistol. Id also like to use a laser, prefferebly a grip laser not a rail mounted one. I also would like a reasonable trigger pull, I own a couple of 1911's that currently ride in my nightstand but both have very light trigger pulls, im looking for something more substantial in a trigger pull to stay away from accidental discharge under stress.

Recommendations?

M&P 45 (mid-frame). They have 14rd mags for it and the CT grips for the M&P are fantastic. Apex Tactical has a new trigger coming out that will give you a 1911 type pull.

You can also get the M&P with external thumb safety.

C4

GermanSynergy
04-17-11, 14:51
HK 45 full size, Surefire X300 and Winchester 230 grain Ranger T's here.

I sleep soundly at night. :cool:

TonyTacoma
04-17-11, 14:55

Can I get the hk45 with the LEM trigger variant? Is there a grip laser available for the hk?

interfan
04-17-11, 14:56
You actually have what you need. Just add some CTC grips to your 1911 and practice trigger discipline or manipulating the thumb safety under stress. If you want a light too, add a Dawson rail.

A heavier trigger to prevent accidental discharge is more political than practical. The Glock New York trigger nonsense ensure a lack of accuracy under stress, not better saftety or function. This perception is left over from old "revolver" guys who think that a semi-auto SA trigger is unsafe. Training and trigger time will give you the confidence that will keep you safe.

Don't take my word for it, here is a better source:

http://vickerstactical.com/tactical-tips/trigger-pull-weight/

TonyTacoma
04-17-11, 14:57
M&P 45 (mid-frame). They have 14rd mags for it and the CT grips for the M&P are fantastic. Apex Tactical has a new trigger coming out that will give you a 1911 type pull.

You can also get the M&P with external thumb safety.

C4

The M&P is a serious contender for me, good price point. I need to shoot one to see if the trigger is what im looking for.

TonyTacoma
04-17-11, 15:03
You actually have what you need. Just add some CTC grips to your 1911 and practice trigger discipline or manipulating the thumb safety under stress. If you want a light too, add a Dawson rail.

A heavier trigger to prevent accidental discharge is more political than practical. The Glock New York trigger nonsense ensure a lack of accuracy under stress, not better saftety or function. This perception is left over from old "revolver" guys who think that a semi-auto SA trigger is unsafe. Training and trigger time will give you the confidence that will keep you safe.

Don't take my word for it, here is a better source:

http://vickerstactical.com/tactical-tips/trigger-pull-weight/

Great advice for sure, I have some training with thumb safety manipulation and stress fire with my 1911's as they are one of my daily carries. One thing to consider is the added stress of being woken up into a defense situation. There's no real way to properly train this scenario, so to remove all question marks im choosing to use a longer/more substantial trigger.

Good advice though.

C4IGrant
04-17-11, 15:10
The M&P is a serious contender for me, good price point. I need to shoot one to see if the trigger is what im looking for.

The stock trigger is NOTHING like a 1911 so you will need to spend some money on Apex components to get it up to speed.

C4

opmike
04-17-11, 15:29
Recommendations?

What gun do you primarily carry and train with?

Buy another one for your nightstand.

maximus83
04-17-11, 15:39
Another M&P .45 mid-size guy. I keep mine in the nightstand with a Streamlight TLR-1, 10rd mags loaded with TAP 230gr HP.

One thing I've noticed is that with the stock trigger on the M&P .45, I can actually shoot it pretty accurately, more so than with the stock trigger on the 9mm's. But that said, I've already upgraded to the APEX on 2 other M&P's, and I plan to upgrade this one as well by adding the DCAEK kit, and the RAM device to get the more positive reset (total upgrades around $115).

I haven't tried the 14rd mags yet, but if they are reliable I'd consider using them, it would be nice to have a bit more capacity than 10rd in a home defense pistol.

czydj
04-17-11, 16:47
How big is your nightstand?

http://primaryweapons.com/store/pc/catalog/MK107p_762_L_2.jpg

Add a light, a laser, Winchester Super-X 762x39 ammo and some training.

You are set.

GermanSynergy
04-17-11, 19:34
Seriously?

How big is your nightstand?

http://primaryweapons.com/store/pc/catalog/MK107p_762_L_2.jpg

Add a light, a laser, Winchester Super-X 762x39 ammo and some training.

You are set.

Stangman
04-17-11, 19:40
My nightstand gun is a Springfield XD45 with a Siglite STL900L for the light/laser.

04-17-11, 19:44
Synergy- Ya' beat me to it.

czydj
04-17-11, 19:46
Seriously?

Sure, given the correct conditions. A perimeter alarm sounds and you have time to move and orient. Is the right move answering that alarm with a pistol or a rifle caliber firearm?

skyugo
04-17-11, 20:21
Seriously?

may as well go to a carbine....

as far as the pistol vs carbine thing for in home use, i'd say go with what you're comfortable with in a close quarters environment. I don't really know the ins and outs of using a carbine up close. I feel i'd fair better with a handgun.

opmike
04-17-11, 20:25
Sure, given the correct conditions. A perimeter alarm sounds and you have time to move and orient. Is the right move answering that alarm with a pistol or a rifle caliber firearm?

A rifle (carbine) or a pistol.

Those AR "pistols" bring absolutely nothing to the table. You might as well stick a stock on it, and SBR if you want to use it for more than shooting dirt.

GermanSynergy
04-17-11, 21:29
I can think of no situations where I'd want to be armed with a 7.62x39mm "pistol" and c-product mags, perimeter alarm or not. :rolleyes:

Pathfinder Ops
04-17-11, 21:56
I'm thinking the gun I carry MOST if not ALL the time is the gun that should be on my nightstand when I wake up to that "bump in the night."

There is genius in consistency/ familiarity.

Oh and I'm thinking this post has BARF.COM written all over it..... But I'm not a Mod and far from a "Senior Member" so take my post for what it is.... just my opinion.

Beat Trash
04-18-11, 00:14
I'm thinking the gun I carry MOST if not ALL the time is the gun that should be on my nightstand when I wake up to that "bump in the night."

Or, if not the gun you carry, then a copy of it.

novaDAK
04-18-11, 01:12

I share this thinking.

opmike
04-18-11, 01:22

Exactly.

I'd like to see someone come up with a convincing argument for NOT using his or her carry/primary piece in such a situation, or at least a similar model.

I know of several people that have a different type of gun with very different manuals of arms in their vehicle, on their nightstand, and on their hip. This makes no sense to me.

vicious_cb
04-18-11, 01:24

Oh and I'm thinking this post has BARF.COM written all over it..... But I'm not a Mod and far from a "Senior Member" so take my post for what it is.... just my opinion.

Pretty much this. Why the hell would use a gun you are unfamiliar with for HD? If anything I would want to use something I have lots of trigger time with. If you're looking increased capability, dont look for a bigger, badder pistol. Best move up to a long gun.

czydj
04-18-11, 06:49
I can think of no situations where I'd want to be armed with a 7.62x39mm "pistol" and c-product mags, perimeter alarm or not.

If you can't get that platform to be reliable for you, then just substitute in your favorite rifle caliber SBR with your favorite mags and have at it! This board is quite adept at pointing out the short-comings of handgun calibers. It is also very good about extolling the virtues of the SBR for close quarters work.

IMHO, IF you have the proper training and IF you are competent with the platform, leave the pistol in the nightstand and pick up a rifle caliber weapon.

ColdDeadHands
04-18-11, 06:50
When I go to bed I take my EDC out of the holster & put it in the nightstand where I have a white light next to it.

loupav
04-18-11, 10:26
I use to use a full size USP 45 for this and now I'm using a USP Compact 45.

iCarbine
04-18-11, 10:34
When I go to bed I take my EDC out of the holster & put it in the nightstand where I have a white light next to it.

Good choice. That's my strategy as well. I've never understood using different guns for carry, home defense, car gun when they are all being asked to perform the same function: defense. To me, same use equals same gun, or at least another copy of the same gun.

Beat Trash
04-18-11, 10:58
The OP was asking about nightstand pistols. Bedroom long guns are a different, yet related topic.

I like the idea of having a dedicated nightstand pistol. It's always in the same spot, no matter what. When I was married, the wife knew there would be a pistol there, no matter if I had my carry gun with me at the store, ect.

But it's the same type as my carry gun. While I carry a Glock 19 off duty, my nightstand gun is a Glock 17, with an attached light. As I carry a M&P9 fs as an issued gun, and am forcing myself to carry the M&P9c off duty vs. the G19, I most likely will be obtaining another M&P9fs for the bedroom.

I wholeheartedly agree that your bedroom pistol should be the same type of gun as what you train with. I know people who carry a Glock or M&P 9mm, yet have a DA/SA HK45 in the bedroom.

Rob_0811
04-18-11, 12:31
My nightstand gun is a West German SIG P226 that I shoot IDPA with. I slap a surefire X300 on it and call it good.

My carry gun is a SIG P6, so not much deviation there.

QuietShootr
04-18-11, 13:52
G19, I just replace the standard magazine with a 33 round for the nightstand.

brantley65
04-18-11, 15:03
I think along the lines of the same type of gun I carry. Typically I carry a Glock 19 with Big Dots everyday. It often resides in a Maxpedition Fatboy. At night the Fatboy is on the floor next to my side of the bed. The nightstand gun is a Glock 34 with TRL1S and Warrent Tacticals on it. It will soon be replaced with a Glock 17 with Davie Bowie package(Leupold Deltapoint), TRL1S and Innovative Arms 9mm can.

skyugo
04-18-11, 15:06
G19, I just replace the standard magazine with a 33 round for the nightstand.

you dont' find that mag makes it hard to shoot accurately? I'd dabbled in doing this as well, but i found the fully loaded 33 rounder really threw the balance off. made fast accurate shots very difficult.

QuietShootr
04-18-11, 15:11
you dont' find that mag makes it hard to shoot accurately? I'd dabbled in doing this as well, but i found the fully loaded 33 rounder really threw the balance off. made fast accurate shots very difficult.

No? I thought it kind of increased control for the first half of the magazine, just because of the added weight. I shoot with them in the rotation along with my regular mags, and other than being a little hinky to walk around with in a holster, I never noticed any problem.

Pistol Shooter
04-18-11, 16:33
Hey folks,

I also would like a reasonable trigger pull, I own a couple of 1911's that currently ride in my nightstand but both have very light trigger pulls, im looking for something more substantial in a trigger pull to stay away from accidental discharge under stress.

Recommendations?

Given your requirements for a substantial trigger pull I'd suggest an HK 45 or 45C V3 (DA/SA) rather than one with an LEM trigger.

IIRC, the HK 45 DA pull is about 10.5 lbs. vs. about 5 lbs. for the LEM trigger.

Your 1911's probably have 3.5 -- 4 lb. pulls so an additional 1lb. isn't much difference. Especially under stress.

Good luck, let us know what you decide to do. :)

Skang
04-18-11, 16:43
HK P30L Loaded with HST 147gr / Surefire G2 Malkoff M61W

samuse
04-18-11, 19:10
If I'm not sleeping in my bed, I put my carry gun (Glock 19, sometimes 26 or 17) in it's holster on the nightstand.

At home I keep a Hi Power in cond. 1 on the nightstand.

Radioflyer
04-18-11, 23:18

Good call. I have the same thing, but with a separate tactical light and 230gr Federal HSTs.

poirierpro
04-19-11, 00:54
I think along the lines of the same type of gun I carry. Typically I carry a Glock 19 with Big Dots everyday. It often resides in a Maxpedition Fatboy. At night the Fatboy is on the floor next to my side of the bed. The nightstand gun is a Glock 34 with TRL1S and Warrent Tacticals on it. It will soon be replaced with a Glock 17 with Davie Bowie package(Leupold Deltapoint), TRL1S and Innovative Arms 9mm can.

+1...I carry a Glock 19 or 23...nightstand gun is a 10mm Glock 20.

LetUsTry
04-19-11, 01:19
I can +1 all the M&P45 votes. I own one.

I'm a believer in different firearms (calibers) for different places. 9mm out of the house, .45 in the house.

M&P 45 and surefire X300 or other high grade light with whichever mag you size want (8 for mid-size frame/10/14rd fullsize) and pick your favorite self defense load.

(opinion time) Now, I personally don't believe in lasers, but if you REALLY want to go the laser route, the CTC's for the M&P are just a replacement backstrap, so its a flush fit.

sjc3081
04-19-11, 01:35
Glock 20 full power ammo and a light is what I use

Axcelea
04-19-11, 16:57
For the issue of trigger weight I remember reading that under stress people will do something like 20lbs of force when clenching their hands so upping a trigger a couple pounds might not do jack when considering squeezing during stress. Trigger discipline and keeping the finger out of the trigger guard until ready to fire would be much more useful and effective (although the finger can still slip in the trigger guard when under stress).

As for what pistol to have I agree with the theme of what you carry as it is or at least a similar model. I can see upping the size if what you carry is kept small for purposes of weight, concealment, etc which isn't somehting you have to worry as much with a pistol kept in a stationary position. Can have something different but then there is a greater learning and training gap and an ever so slight to great chance that the cross use will cause things to get messed up.

Something simple like a SA/DA revolver might be useful to have in a nightstand as a little extra.

Radioflyer
04-19-11, 19:50
For the issue of trigger weight I remember reading that under stress people will do something like 20lbs of force when clenching their hands so upping a trigger a couple pounds might not do jack when considering squeezing during stress. Trigger discipline and keeping the finger out of the trigger guard until ready to fire would be much more useful and effective (although the finger can still slip in the trigger guard when under stress).

Good point. It would probably be a good idea to keep your nightstand gun in some sort of holster (preferably a paddle style in case you need to investigate around the home or even outside)

magstang1
04-19-11, 19:52
Why not just stick with a gun you are familiar with. If I'm under stress and needing to use a gun to defend myself, the last thing I want to be figuring out is which gun I have and wether or not it has a safety.

The best bedside gun is the one you shoot the most. Someday you might need it when you are quite literally asleep.

tomy5gxy
04-19-11, 19:56
For me the best choice is a Springfield XD45. IMHO the M&P, Glock, and XD are all very similar guns and great choices for the nightstand. I do agree with a post earlier that you do need to spend the money for some trigger work.

magstang1
04-19-11, 20:16
I sleep next to my XD every night. Put a thousand rounds or so through it before you get the trigger worked on. I smooths out quite a bit.

The XD is still a bit spongy though. I know it now, and can shoot it well. No reason for me to change that.

TonyTacoma
04-19-11, 21:53
Thanks for all the great replies guys, I appreciate the input. I will say that I wasn't exactly looking for everyone's opinion on having a dedicated nightstand gun, but I do find it interesting to hear what other have to say.

When it comes to my own defense I take things seriously, any weapon, be it a gun, a knife or a rock, I train with, practice with and know all the way around. Any gun that rides in my nightstand will not be unfamiliar to me because I will have put in the time to and effort to know my weapon inside and out.

The reasons for choosing a separate nightstand gun as opposed to my EDC is simple, the nightstand gun is not subjected to the same requirements as my EDC. For example, caliber, the physical size and weight of the firearm, and optics such as lasers are all something I pay very careful attention to when choosing a carry weapon. My carry guns are all relatively small, have very few snag points if any, don't have large magazine capacities, and are not bulky.

However my nightstand gun can be any of these, as long as it fits my hand and I shoot it well then it can be big, bulky, heavy, and anything else. My EDC's are all 9mm and I don't want to get into defense of that, but that being said, at home when size and weight is not a factor I am stepping up in caliber.

Interestingly I talked to a few of my friends that swear by their pump shotgun as their home defense weapon of choice, of course these guys do not carry shotguns as personal defense weapons. The argument is essentially the same though, while at home their defense weapon is not confined to the requirements of a carry pistol and therefore they choose something bigger, badder, or whatever. The point I'm making is although they do not carry or use a shotgun on a daily basis, they have put in the time and training to properly deploy the scattergun should the situation dictate it. I have no problem with anyone using their EDC as a nightstand gun, heck I do it now, but that being said I am still on the lookout for a dedicated nightstand gun.

Shortlist:
HK45 V1
M&P 45 No manual safety
XD45
21SF

Moose-Knuckle
04-19-11, 21:58
My dedicated night stand gun is a Gen 3 GLOCK 17, night sights and a TRL-1. It's an easy transition for as I CCW a GLOCK 19.

TonyTacoma
04-19-11, 22:09

As for what pistol to have I agree with the theme of what you carry as it is or at least a similar model. I can see upping the size if what you carry is kept small for purposes of weight, concealment, etc which isn't somehting you have to worry as much with a pistol kept in a stationary position. Can have something different but then there is a greater learning and training gap and an ever so slight to great chance that the cross use will cause things to get messed up.

Something simple like a SA/DA revolver might be useful to have in a nightstand as a little extra.

Thanks for the post, I think were on the same page :-) I will say that my reasoning for wanting a heavier trigger isn't to replace proper trigger manipulation training, it's just an aid in a high adrenaline situation. It may not sound like much but that little weight may help from putting a round where it doesn't belong. Coudlnt hurt at least.

Boogityx3
04-23-11, 23:22
Beretta PX4 Storm 45 by my bed.
I shoot it often. (at the range. Not from bedside. :D )

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x120/jeffgordon_2007/96615408-2.jpg

MechEng
04-26-11, 14:42
My nightstand gun IS my daytime carry gun. When I go to bed at night, my carry gun resides in my nightstand, and when I put my pants on in the morning it goes in my waistband.

I do have another gun, in a lockbox, in the bottom drawer of my night stand, for my wife to use if I’m away on travel. It’s an M&P9, with thumb safety, setup with a Streamlight TLR-2 (light/laser).

nutnless220
04-26-11, 17:42
With the exception of the Xd, all the weps on your short list are great choices. My nightstand gun is a P220 Combat with a 10 rd. mag and an X300 . My edc is a P220 Carry SAS. I think that a traditional DA/SA with no safety to manipulate, with a light, is well suited for the night stand role.

SteveL
04-26-11, 17:48
My nightstand gun IS my daytime carry gun. When I go to bed at night, my carry gun resides in my nightstand, and when I put my pants on in the morning it goes in my waistband.

This describes me as well.

Nephrology
04-26-11, 22:22
I carry a g19 and use a g21 for my nightstand gun. Makes sense to me. YMMV.

anatolian B
04-26-11, 23:24
This describes me as well.

same, I add a TLR-3 for the night stand and sleep well.

Kevin P
04-27-11, 00:28
Thanks for all the great replies guys, I appreciate the input. I will say that I wasn't exactly looking for everyone's opinion on having a dedicated nightstand gun, but I do find it interesting to hear what other have to say.

When it comes to my own defense I take things seriously, any weapon, be it a gun, a knife or a rock, I train with, practice with and know all the way around. Any gun that rides in my nightstand will not be unfamiliar to me because I will have put in the time to and effort to know my weapon inside and out.

The reasons for choosing a separate nightstand gun as opposed to my EDC is simple, the nightstand gun is not subjected to the same requirements as my EDC. For example, caliber, the physical size and weight of the firearm, and optics such as lasers are all something I pay very careful attention to when choosing a carry weapon. My carry guns are all relatively small, have very few snag points if any, don't have large magazine capacities, and are not bulky.

However my nightstand gun can be any of these, as long as it fits my hand and I shoot it well then it can be big, bulky, heavy, and anything else. My EDC's are all 9mm and I don't want to get into defense of that, but that being said, at home when size and weight is not a factor I am stepping up in caliber.

Interestingly I talked to a few of my friends that swear by their pump shotgun as their home defense weapon of choice, of course these guys do not carry shotguns as personal defense weapons. The argument is essentially the same though, while at home their defense weapon is not confined to the requirements of a carry pistol and therefore they choose something bigger, badder, or whatever. The point I'm making is although they do not carry or use a shotgun on a daily basis, they have put in the time and training to properly deploy the scattergun should the situation dictate it. I have no problem with anyone using their EDC as a nightstand gun, heck I do it now, but that being said I am still on the lookout for a dedicated nightstand gun.

Shortlist:
HK45 V1
M&P 45 No manual safety
XD45
21SF

I'll start off by saying, please don't take my post in a negative way.

Why do you want a specific dedicated 45acp pistol for nightstand duty?

You started a thread with asking for peoples recommendations on what gun you should get given a certain set of criteria and you have received many of people preferences.

I just want to point out two different observations.

You mentioned that you are looking for a dedicated
home defense or nightstand gun because it does not have to fit the characteristics of a CCW gun. So why not take good advice and use a shotgun or rifle? Why would you compromise a better defensive choice for a pistol?

Also you mention that any weapon you get you will do extensive training and know the weapon inside and out. Why not stick with one of your 1911's and increase the trigger pull weight and throw some Crimson Trace laser grips on it? You would already be familiar with that weapon. There is not that many choices for 45acp guns that will accept a laser grip. The three that I can think of off the top of my head that will accept Crimson Trace laser grips are the m&p, glock, 1911, sig.

Have you gone and done some research or gone to a local gun shop? I don't mean to sound like a dick but asking for peoples recommendations on what gun you should get does not make much sense. The best thing is to do some first hand research and education.

Good luck

west996
04-28-11, 10:13
I use me M&P .45 full size with Apex DCAEK and insight M3X light. I have some 14 rounders but haven't put them through any reliability testing yet so they stay in the safe. I also carry this on a daily basis.

ryr8828
04-28-11, 16:44
XD .45 service with thumb safety for bed time. My wife and I keep different hours, I go to bed early and wake up early, and grandkids are here a lot.
I like to have another obstacle between me and the trigger so I have to identify as I'm still waking up.

Fox800
04-28-11, 22:16
S&W M&P9 FS with APEX DCAEK, TLR-1, and 147gr HST's sits on my nightstand. Recently replaced my Glock 19 Gen 4 for this duty.

If I'm really feeling adventurous I'll prop my 6920 against the wall.

l8apex
04-28-11, 22:21
Either of the 2 G19s with X300, RA9T 147gr.

titsonritz
04-28-11, 22:42

This is my thinking as well. The last thing I want is to deal with something different when I’m half asleep. I have two Glock 19s with XS 24/7 sights. My carry stays holstered and belted to my pants so if time permits I can toss them on, providing a back up to my nightstand piece or carbine. The only difference is my dedicated nightstand piece has an X300 mounted.

Reagans Rascals
04-28-11, 22:50
have you thought about using a "leaning beside the night stand gun"... aka.. a shotgun? I've always firmly believed there is no better weapon for hd than a 12 gauge. Some people will say this and that about drywall penetration and endangering that behind the target... handguns work the same way... I'd look at getting a Mossberg or an 870 and just make it a dedicated bedside gun.. throw a light on it and some TAP 00 buck rounds with a side saddle and you'll be covered for anything... imo