PDA

View Full Version : New Moderator to the Forum

K.L. Davis
04-18-11, 10:59
Some of you may have already noticed the additional name in the lower, right hand corner of the Survival Forums... but if you have not, forum member Tortuga is going to be helping out with the forums.

I will let him handle any further introduction or whatnot, but rest assured that he brings a lot of knowledge and experience to the game.

SeriousStudent
04-19-11, 00:24
Outstanding! :D

A welcome aboard is not needed, but a thank you for your continued help certainly is.

I was wondering something the other day. Have either of you gentlemen thought about a lesson learned or tip of the month sort of thread? I'm not talking about turning this sub-forum into a "Dear Abby" column. But you both have a lot of experience to offer, and I learn much from picking other people's brains.

Sorry for the thread-jack.

Tortuga
04-20-11, 20:18
Thanks for the intro, K.
I'm flattered to be considered for Mod status on here and appreciate and enjoy the open flow of productive ideas and information that appears on it.
I don't want to post a full resume or I love me wall, but I will give you a little bit of my background to give y'all an idea where I'm coming from and what is usually on my radar screen:
20 years active Navy in various air and ground operations in just about every AO from 89-09.
Current govt. contract instructor for the east coast SERE school and test and eval liaison for Naval/Marine Corps Aviation Life Support Systems.
I also serve and train local and state SAR operators.

warpigM-4
04-20-11, 20:28
Outstanding ! welcome Sir Looking forward to your input

Tortuga
04-20-11, 20:29
Have either of you gentlemen thought about a lesson learned or tip of the month sort of thread?

Not a bad idea at all. Seems like a good way to stimulate some discussion.

I for one really liked the "Favorite Compass poll" and it seems to have gone pretty well. Others of that genre would be welcome.

Other thoughts are to discuss a gear failure or student (or instructor) TTP error that occur as I'm coming out of a SERE class or dissect a survival sucess/failure that's in the headlines.

TOrrock
04-20-11, 21:09
Good to have you!

K.L. Davis
04-20-11, 23:19
Not a bad idea at all. Seems like a good way to stimulate some discussion.

I for one really liked the "Favorite Compass poll" and it seems to have gone pretty well. Others of that genre would be welcome.

Other thoughts are to discuss a gear failure or student (or instructor) TTP error that occur as I'm coming out of a SERE class or dissect a survival sucess/failure that's in the headlines.
I can see it now, the "This is a No-Shitter" section!

SeriousStudent
04-21-11, 00:53
I also appreciated the info in the "Favorite Compass" thread. I have a nephew who will soon be graduating ROTC, and taking on a commission as an Army 2LT. I bought him the Suunto MC-2 mentioned in that thread, to go along with the Cammenga tritium lensatic I gave him for Christmas.

There have been many, many changes since I was issued a musket and a cutlass. I make a point of passing on the tips I learn here.

Any tips you gents pass on will be appreciated.

Det-Sog
04-21-11, 09:22
Great choice. He has been a big help to me in the past.