PDA

View Full Version : Left handed bolt action

nubs101
04-18-11, 14:12
Hey there everybody, Looking for some suggestions for a left handed bolt action. Prob going to stick with 223 or 308. The max I can shoot at any ranges near me are 600 yards. Id like to stay around the 500-800 price range not including the scope. What options am I looking at ? Thanks

Paul45
04-18-11, 16:33
I have had excellent luck with Remington 700 BDL over the years. I currently have 3. 7mm Mag, 300 Win Mag and .308. Stock guns - all under 1 1/4" with a any std brand / bullet wt. Look around - there are quite a few left hand major brands in your price range. Look at used - most people don't shoot them enough to break them in.

Gutshot John
04-18-11, 17:23
Have you checked the search feature? As a lefty who shoots precision I'm positive that this topic has come up before and these threads get so tiresome as the OP either wants someone to justify a choice they've already made or doesn't want to have the think about their choice.

My $0.02:

Generally lefty bolt guns are more expensive than their right-handed counterparts and lefty's can operate a right handed bolt gun just fine. Why do you want a lefty?

What's your intended purpose? Hunting? Precision? Tactical? Truck Gun? Varmint? Prone shooting? Bench? Standing? Are you going to be carrying it around for hours at a time? Have you actually shot a bolt gun? If so what didn't you like? How much shooting do you intend on doing with it?

It's said so often around here that it's cliche...Mission drives the choice.

Why reinvent the wheel? While there are other excellent rifles out there (Tikka, Steyr) few give as much modularity/options as Remington so I'd say just get a 700 with an X-Mark Pro trigger that fits your purpose and be done with it.

maximus83
04-18-11, 17:47
Gutshot_John has a good post. As a fellow lefty who has worked through a few bolt-action issues, I'll chime in too.

Like GJ says, first determine what are your main intended uses for the gun. If you want a lightweight hunting rifle that you'll carry a lot, odds are you'll want to shoot offhand, so in those cases, you may indeed want a rifle with a LH action. A few choices for quality/accurate lightweight hunting rifles with LH actions and nice triggers:

* Tikka T3 stainless
* Browning Xbolt (or the older Abolt models)
* Savage 16 SS "weather warrior" series

The Tikka and Savage guns can be had for around $550 to $650 depending on sales, the Browning will run a bit higher. Generally, the Tikka is hard to beat for a lightweight hunting/stalking rifle.

Now, if you're planning to get a rifle for more "general purpose" usage (range, comps, etc.), any scenario where your shooting will be mostly supported (as in bipod, prone, bench, etc.), I agree with GJ, you can and probably do want to go right-handed. A really good starter choice here is the Rem 700 that he mentioned. I'd consider specifically the SPS Tactical, it's all set up the way you'd probably want it. I bought one myself in the last year, and have been really pleased with its performance for bench shooting. These rifles are affordable, and have the advantage that you can easily upgrade them later.

Ironically, as a LH person shooting a RH action off the bench or bipod, you can probably work the action a bit more efficiently than a true RH shooter. Your shooting hand never has to leave the trigger, and you can work the bolt with your RH. Based on this logic, there are even a few RH shooters who want to get LEFT-HANDED actions, if you can believe that!

Here are some interesting threads that discuss the merits of a LH shooter using a RH action. In the first thread, I posted at the end of the thread stating I still preferred a LH action, and that's still true for offhand shooting, but I've since then realized that on the bench I can do quite well with a RH action.

http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=16391

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=934078

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=857775

https://www.snipercentral.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=42512&sid=d0be41a81df7b53745e1d177c48d409e

https://www.snipercentral.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8230&highlight=&sid=91d33709594ef0415a48de9d3f36d9d8

nubs101
04-18-11, 21:16
Thanks for the information guys. I do apologize as I forgot about the search button and am doing so now. This is strictly for bench shooting and having fun with. Ive already got a solid hunting rifle so looking for something I can play around with a bit more. Thanks again

CC556
04-18-11, 23:14
My wife is left handed and prefers shooting right handed bolt guns for the reasons that were listed above.

arizona98tj
04-19-11, 22:10
If you want a lefty rifle, a Savage 10 FLCP-K would certainly work. It is available in .223 and .308.

cheaptrick
04-22-11, 04:12
If you want a lefty rifle, a Savage 10 FLCP-K would certainly work. It is available in .223 and .308.

Excellent suggestion.

Gutshot John
04-22-11, 12:53
Based solely on my experience, Savages always seemed a bit chintzy to me, especially their DB magazines which I've always had trouble with, they are accurate enough but they're just not the same as a Remington. I hate that freakin trigger too.

For roughly the same price you can get a Remington 700 with the X-Mark Pro trigger (which btw doesn't have the defect inherent in other 700 triggers you may have heard about).

If you're not in love with the Remmy, Tikka, Browning and Steyr make excellent rifles.

maximus83
04-23-11, 11:48
I have a Savage 10 FLP (the LH "tactical" version in .308), and it has been reliable enough for the ways I use it, but in fairness, that's been entirely range duty. It hasn't seen any real hard use.

I agree that the AccuTrigger on the Savage, while clever and a good way to have a safe trigger with a light pull, is rather annoying on a precision rifle. Why? That double-bladed thing on the trigger is what really bugs me. I like my Savage, but I REALLY like my Remmy SPS, even with the stock Xmark Pro trigger. It's nice and smooth and breaks at just a bit over 3 lbs.

lonegunman
04-24-11, 00:19
It is currently out of production, but Remington used to make the 700 VSF(varmit synthetic fluted) left handed in a desert camo and black on black. It had a 26" heavy bbl and HS stock with aluminum bedding block.

Not too common but a good low miles one would be a sweet deal.

MistWolf
04-24-11, 14:14
While shooting from the bench is shooting is fine, I thought the focus of this website was on rifles that have to earn their living. As such, it's field positions that count. While it can be done, a lefty operating a R/H rifle (or a righty operating a L/H rifle) under field conditions is going to find it very awkward. There's a reason there are L/H & R/H bolt actions and why the basic layout is universal.

Most bolt action rifles are a bit muzzle heavy and trying to hold the weight & balance of the rifles with the trigger hand can be very difficult. You're likely to punch yourself in the nose operating to bolt briskly with the offhand while keeping the rifle to your shoulder and maintaining your cheekweld as is proper when shooting a bolt action. When shooting unsupported prone, it's most important to maintain position of the offhand for shot to shot consistency.

It's also safer for a lefty to be firing a L/H bolt action in case there's a pierced primer or other catastrophic failure. Bolt action rifles are designed to deflect the hot gases in such cases away from the shooters face. A lefty shooting a R/H bolt action could find the gases being deflected into their face.

Even so, when a lefty is operating a R/H bolt action (or vice versa) will the shooter remember to not cross their thumb over the top of the grip after releasing the safety? If not, that thumb will have it's skin ripped off when the bolt is operated. There are other subtle advantages, when operating a bolt gun, for a lefty to make sure they have a L/H rifle.

Just because a bolt action rifle isn't self-loading isn't any reason to take it's proper operation any less seriously. A lefty has every good reason to want a L/H bolt action rifle and gains no real advantage by being stuck with a R/H version

Gutshot John
04-24-11, 17:26
While shooting from the bench is shooting is fine, I thought the focus of this website was on rifles that have to earn their living. As such, it's field positions that count. While it can be done, a lefty operating a R/H rifle (or a righty operating a L/H rifle) under field conditions is going to find it very awkward. There's a reason there are L/H & R/H bolt actions and why the basic layout is universal.

I've played with this quite a bit and trying various rifles in various configurations this issue is pretty easily addressed with stock selection or practice.

1. Using a bolt gun with a pistol grip stock makes field positions fully functional for lefty's using a righty gun. In fact I think you're still faster than a righty in a field position.

2. If you don't have a pistol grip stock using a short-action gun (another reason 700s rock) makes going over hand (shooting/left hand reaching over to the right side of the gun) quite handy with some practice.

Part of being a left-handed shooter is figuring out how to live in a right-handed world. Any fix is going to take practice to make yourself proficient and the other advantages when shooting prone cumulatively make the right handed gun a better way to go.

Paul45
04-26-11, 19:39
If you are left handed and have the option of a left hand action, why not? Why do an UN-NATURAL ACT with a right hand bolt when there is no need to adapt. Buy a left hand gun and be happy.

Gutshot John
04-26-11, 20:21
If you are left handed and have the option of a left hand action, why not? Why do an UN-NATURAL ACT with a right hand bolt when there is no need to adapt. Buy a left hand gun and be happy.

Why can't I be happy with a right hand gun?

1. I only had to adapt from field from standing/kneeling positions. When shooting prone or from a bench, I'm a good bit faster than a right hander with a right hand gun. I know several right handers who got a lefty action for this reason.

2. You can extrapolate your argument to any right-handed gun. Why not get a left-handed Stag for instance? You don't have to learn how to operate a charging handle off-hand, you don't have to learn how to operate the mag release or selector...it's not really that unnatural. Like many things in shooting you have to make adjustments to make things work for you. I'd bet that I'm as fast as many right-handers going overhand. With a pistol grip, I'm faster.

3. Lefty bolt actions are more expensive, and parts/accessories are a bit harder to find than right handed stuff which is usually in stock.

Paul45
04-28-11, 16:59
Why can't I be happy with a right hand gun?

1. I only had to adapt from field from standing/kneeling positions. When shooting prone or from a bench, I'm a good bit faster than a right hander with a right hand gun. I know several right handers who got a lefty action for this reason.

2. You can extrapolate your argument to any right-handed gun. Why not get a left-handed Stag for instance? You don't have to learn how to operate a charging handle off-hand, you don't have to learn how to operate the mag release or selector...it's not really that unnatural. Like many things in shooting you have to make adjustments to make things work for you. I'd bet that I'm as fast as many right-handers going overhand. With a pistol grip, I'm faster.

3. Lefty bolt actions are more expensive, and parts/accessories are a bit harder to find than right handed stuff which is usually in stock.

I have 2 left handed STAGS - 1 HB custom build and the other T-2. I was tired of an ejection port in front of my face and eyes. It was a safety issue.
Most shooters will never break their bolt guns - the availability and cost issue is small.
Good to live in the USA - we have choices!

Gutshot John
04-28-11, 19:42
I have 2 left handed STAGS - 1 HB custom build and the other T-2. I was tired of an ejection port in front of my face and eyes. It was a safety issue.

Safety issue? How so? I've known a lot of lefty shooters with right hand ARs, not a single one has ever complained about safety.

If brass is hitting your face than you need to tune your ejector/extractor because it's wrong.

99% see no virtue in a left-handed AR, most would prefer a right-handed AR of better quality than a Stag.

All-in-all a nonexistent issue.

Most shooters will never break their bolt guns - the availability and cost issue is small.

Small to you perhaps, but it's there nonetheless. Left handed parts are not nearly as available as right handed parts. You're free to spend your money how you see fit. It still doesn't explain why many right-handers prefer a lefty gun for the same reasons I prefer a righty gun.

Good to live in the USA - we have choices!

Indeed though I'm still unsure how I'm unhappy or how using a right-handed gun is "un-natural"?

Paul45
04-28-11, 19:46
Sorry you don't like my choices or reasons.

Gutshot John
04-28-11, 21:20
Sorry you don't like my choices or reasons.

It's not a question of like or dislike, you said it was un-natural for a lefty to shoot a right handed gun, that bears some explanation. I can understand you have a preference but what's un-natural?

You're of course free to pick whatever AR you want, but I'm not sure I see the wisdom of choosing a sub-standard AR based on an misinformed and somewhat silly safety issue...though it does put your reasoning in its proper context.

titsonritz
04-28-11, 23:10
I am a lefty and grew up shooting a Springfield ’03, a Lee-Enfield and a pre-64 Winchester Model 70; needless to say all were right-handed action. A few years ago I picked up a LH Remington 700 in 30-06 because I thought it was about time I had a “correct” side bolt gun. I ended up selling it and sticking with right-handed actions. If I were to dump big dollars into a precision bolt gun today I would specify a right-handed action in a left-handed stock.

BTW, regarding a LH Stag, it will be a cold day in hell before I choose one over a BCM or DD.

Paul45
04-29-11, 06:45
It's not a question of like or dislike, you said it was un-natural for a lefty to shoot a right handed gun, that bears some explanation. I can understand you have a preference but what's un-natural?

You're of course free to pick whatever AR you want, but I'm not sure I see the wisdom of choosing a sub-standard AR based on an misinformed and somewhat silly safety issue...though it does put your reasoning in its proper context.

OF course it's a matter of not liking my choices!

You don't like my Stags,so you tell me to spend 20% to 40% more for a better AR. Odds are you don't own one or have much personal experience with them. The uppers and lowers are fine, when good parts are used and properly build, they are goood to go for the civilian shoot. I go thru about 4000 rounds a year and I am pleased with my choice. They will out live me.
Then you tell me people can not afford the 2% to 10 % premium for left hand models or parts. You can't use that $ arguement both ways. Pick one. Again, most people will never shoot their bolts to wear them out. The parts that do wear are reasonable.
Then you you tell me that your left handed friends shoot rt hand AR's and have not had any safety issues. I am not sure your friends are a statiiticly significant sample. There are millions of rt hand AR's, M4's and M16's that go thru 100's of millions of rounds each year. THERE ARE blown primers, ruptured cases, broken parts and blow by, many times during a year, that come out of the rt hand ejection port. One time is too big a risk for me or my pretty face & eyes, maybe for you but not for me.
This conversation reminds me of my government - You must save, we can spend, the EPA has the data, do as we say. The Nun's could not get me to convert, the Government has not convinced me, and neither have you.
You buy what you want, I'll buy what I want and we can both be happy. We can also give both our opinions so other people can make choices.
I love freedom. I love choice. You can shoot any way you want but so can I. Try it, you may like.

Gutshot John
04-29-11, 07:34
OF course it's a matter of not liking my choices!

You don't like my Stags,so you tell me to spend 20% to 40% more for a better AR. Odds are you don't own one or have much personal experience with them. The uppers and lowers are fine, when good parts are used and properly build, they are goood to go for the civilian shoot. I go thru about 4000 rounds a year and I am pleased with my choice. They will out live me.

This issue has been covered so many times on this forum that I would have thought someone here for as long as you would have seen at least something on the issue.

The operative words here "when good parts are used". One more time, you don't have to spend 20-40% more for a better AR. Colt 6920s can be had for about $900. You can easily get an LMT lower with BCM upper (including BCG) for that or less and these prices INCLUDE the good parts. Factor swapping out good parts (the most glaring being the HPT bolt which you can't even get in a lefty AR and non-Mil-Spec/MPI/HPT barrel ) into the Stag equation makes the Stag at least 20% more expensive.

That cost issue is simply absurd, even if you were using a righty gun.

Then you you tell me that your left handed friends shoot rt hand AR's and have not had any safety issues. I am not sure your friends are a statiiticly significant sample.

I'm not just talking friends, I'm talking about every left handed AR shooter I've ever seen, every AR shooter on this board (present company excluded) and every left-handed pro/sme known.

There are millions of rt hand AR's, M4's and M16's that go thru 100's of millions of rounds each year. THERE ARE blown primers, ruptured cases, broken parts and blow by, many times during a year, that come out of the rt hand ejection port. One time is too big a risk for me or my pretty face & eyes, maybe for you but not for me.

I must have missed where this has become an issue. I can show you kbs that took off the side of the receiver opposite the ejection port. Shit happens. I find it odd that you'd complain about the safety issue and than get a gun with BCG that's improperly staked, a bolt that's not HPT and barrels that aren't HPT/MPI. Why do you think they run these tests?

Please find me one case of a lefty being blinded or injured by a catastrophic malfunction that can directly be attributed to an in-spec right handed ejection port where there weren't other things involved (bad ammo, bad build). I'm not even going to complain that it's a statistically irrelevant sample like you did. I just want to see that it happens with any kind of regularity.

You're right though bad things happen...Driving a car is also dangerous, statistically far more so than shooting. If I based all my decisions on the infinitesimal chance that a kB might occur, I'd sell my guns and stay home. Shooting guns can be dangerous, you run an equal risk with your left-handed gun. That risk is not diminished at all.

All that said, IT IS COMPLETELY IRRELEVANT TO A BOLT ACTION GUN!!!!

Paul45
04-29-11, 13:20
I GIVE UP! You don't get and you never will. FREE CHOICE!

orkan
04-29-11, 14:01
<insert everything paul45 has said>

http://www.gregd.net/pics/funny/You-Are-In_The_Wrong_Forum.jpg

Gutshot John
04-29-11, 14:38
I GIVE UP! You don't get and you never will. FREE CHOICE!

I get free choice...You like a lefty bolt gun, that's fine. Hiding behind "free choice" doesn't change the myriad of half-baked statements you made.

You talk about free choice while your earlier statement said one choice was "unnatural" without bother to explain why or how you would even quantify that, never mind the fact that it denies that there are certain advantages to a lefty using a right hand gun or that a lefty might actually prefer a right handed firearm.

Any gun for any lefty or righty is a trade off of priorities. This is one of the biggest reasons I hate these types of threads, someone just wants someone else to tell them what they need rather than figuring out what their own priorities are and retards who get all butt hurt when their priorities aren't shared by everyone, let alone aren't objective truth. Instead they get all dyspeptic and talk about free choice when no one ever disputed the notion.

Paul45
04-29-11, 15:10
Give it up. This fish ain't biting anymore.

orkan
04-29-11, 15:13

Thank God and baby Jesus for that. ... if you kept talking about semi-auto stuff in a bolt action forum... I was going to have to stab myself in the eye.

Thanks.

Gutshot John
04-29-11, 15:14

And yet here you are...again...but whatever.

orkan
04-29-11, 17:06
Sssshhhhhhhhh!!!! be quiet john. He needs the last word.

MistWolf
04-29-11, 17:26
Sssshhhhhhhhh!!!! be quiet john. He needs the last word.

Oh, the irony