PDA

View Full Version : Getting maced during training?

jared91
04-18-11, 21:07
ok, i dont know if this is the right thread or not for this, but it sure seemed like it. as we all know, leo during training all get maced. they say that afterwards, rinsing with water only makes it worse by spreading it, and only offers short term comfort. well, ive been thinking... and this is just a REALLY random though, i dont know that this would even work, so this is why im asking in here. we all know, that when you eat spicey foods, to drink milk, because it is a base and will cure the burning in your mouth. well, if thats the case for your mouth, shouldnt this concept apply to your body/skin? instead of water, do you think drenching yourself in milk would be a better alternative? im just asking, because im going to eventually have to go through this. yea, its a weird question, and im looking for serious answers, a yes or no, and a reason why. please no just deal with it whimp we all had too. i would experiment, but yeaa. in concept, what do ya'll think. lets hear it.

K.L. Davis
04-18-11, 21:44
I've OCed a lot of guys during training and have seen nearly every bit of booney medicine you can imagine... I would say that milk mostly makes a big mess, nothing more.

Fresh Air + Time = Recovery, that is a universal recovery prescription.

Baby shampoo at first seems to help some, but time and fresh air are what you need.

sudnit5
04-18-11, 21:46
Use Dawn dish soap after exposure to wash everything that the mace came into contact with. Even put it in your eyes, the shit works! The mace is oily and Dawn does a awesome job at getting it off you completely. I have used it a few times with great success. I carry a small bottle in my trunk just in case I get some on me at work.

Whatever you do, do not rub your eyes or anything after you have been maced. You will regret it.

ST911
04-18-11, 21:49
A high volume of cool running water is what you need.

If you insist on adding something to the mix, make it Dawn.

cslone
04-18-11, 22:01
Dawn or baby shampoo seem to take the initial sting away, but as was stated before, air and time are about the only real think that works well.

NavyDavy55
04-18-11, 22:38
Baby shampoo and cold water works for OC spray, but it will reactivate again if you take a hot shower.

rathos
04-19-11, 00:45
I used a decon spray. Can't remember the name of it but it worked really well. I think our department uses this stuff:

http://www.lawsupply.com/Law_Enforcement/Self-Defense_Sprays/Recovery_Products/BIOSHIELD

ZX672
04-19-11, 01:52
+1 on the Dawn, if needed. Good luck

Iraqgunz
04-19-11, 03:31
I used the BioShield as well once upon a time and seemed to help out. When I was in the USCG we had coolers with ice cold water and fans. That was it. Some people are hit harder than others.

jared91
04-19-11, 03:43
thanks for the replys guys. seems like i will be screwed, i have super sensitive skin :(

Hot Sauce
04-19-11, 09:44
Not that I've tried this, but since you mention sensitive skin, I just looked at aftershave cooling gel for sensitive skin, and wonder if that would help? Obviously, not for use on the eyes.

tgace
04-19-11, 10:07
A Dawn/Water mix in a spray bottle applied by a buddy helps.

PS-Get it out of your eyebrows and hair too or you will be in for a fun shower experience when you go home.

Atchcraft
04-19-11, 12:35
ok, i dont know if this is the right thread or not for this, but it sure seemed like it. as we all know, leo during training all get maced. they say that afterwards, rinsing with water only makes it worse by spreading it, and only offers short term comfort. well, ive been thinking... and this is just a REALLY random though, i dont know that this would even work, so this is why im asking in here. we all know, that when you eat spicey foods, to drink milk, because it is a base and will cure the burning in your mouth. well, if thats the case for your mouth, shouldnt this concept apply to your body/skin? instead of water, do you think drenching yourself in milk would be a better alternative? im just asking, because im going to eventually have to go through this. yea, its a weird question, and im looking for serious answers, a yes or no, and a reason why. please no just deal with it whimp we all had too. i would experiment, but yeaa. in concept, what do ya'll think. lets hear it.

We use about every kind of OC pepper spray out there, in copious amounts. Some of the new vapors and foggers are just plane evil and I've been covered in all of them. A quick water rinse and air are the standard. I don't think the decon sprays are much better, at least not in my experiance.

The first time I tried milk I had been saturated with the orange, Sabre 5.0 stuff in some very sensitive areas (long story). I tried to suck it up as long as I could, then I had the same thought that you did. I grabbed some milk gave myself a decon... sweet relief! It worked better than anything i've ever used and made the rest of my day!

Never used Dawn, but I'm going to give that a try. As far as soothing relief on sensitive areas... milk does a body good!

jared91
04-19-11, 17:04
see, this is what i was thinking! if it works for your mouth, why not the rest of your body? you know, if anyone is local to me, that has mace, im willing to try it out, for the sake of everyone else... can do a control group, and two variables...

and i know how you feel about the sensitve areas... i used to play baseball in hs, and once got tiger balm on my family jewls.... i wanted to cry. that was the most agonizing experiance i have ever had.

usmcvet
04-19-11, 20:43
Okay well first of all stop freaking stressing about it or you're gonna freak out. It ****ing hurts and life will suck for about an hour.

I've been an OC instructor and I've been sprayed a lot. Three time in a row once trying to show a goal oriented person can fight through it.

I usually laugh and swear after taking a hit. The Dawn soap sounds like good advice. I always used Ivory.

Make sure you wash your hands well before using the bathroom! Trust me. I found out the hard way.

NavyDavy55
04-19-11, 22:10
:eek:
Make sure you wash your hands well before using the bathroom! Trust me. I found out the hard way.

And when you rinse off your face, bend at the waist. Don't stand straight up and let the water/OC run down your pants.

jklaughrey
04-19-11, 22:36
Okay well first of all stop freaking stressing about it or you're gonna freak out. It ****ing hurts and life will suck for about an hour.

I've been an OC instructor and I've been sprayed a lot. Three time in a row once trying to show a goal oriented person can fight through it.

I usually laugh and swear after taking a hit. The Dawn soap sounds like good advice. I always used Ivory.

Have to agree with Joby, from being hit and having received collateral contact during arrests you deal and drive on. The sole purpose behind training of this nature is to see how you react and work through it with added stress factors. It sucks, but you do build up a tolerance over time. Soap helps, just remember it only effects the oil which is the transport medium in which the capsaicin travels in. You will still have the capsaicin molecules in your skin due to the process of micro -pulverization breaking down the molecules to pass easily through the outer layer of skin. On a side note, your skin repels water but will absorb lipids(oils), making oil a superb medium for OC.

Best thing is time and oxygen. Your skin needs to absorb and breakdown the molecules that you weren't able to wash away. Cheers and be humbled in the fact that many have gone before you and many shall go after.

MOTRON
04-19-11, 22:40
Im glad i'm not the only dumbass that let OC get where it shouldn't.

Water hose and a fan is all i've ever used. I'll have to try the dawn if I ever have to get hit again.

OP, no worries bro, it sucks but it only lasts a little while. Just control your breathing and don't freak out.

ZGXtreme
04-19-11, 23:01
Dawn and cold water first. Followed by a fan, with a damp paper towl to dab your face inbetween turns in front of the fan. This really made my second exposure seem like a cake walk in comparison to my first which was water and a fan only (in July).

Abraxas
04-19-11, 23:19
Dawn worked the best for me

Atchcraft
04-19-11, 23:54
This thread is bringing up a lot of fond memories. My first exposure in the academy... I thought Satan himself was tea-bagging my face. But, as stated you build up a tolerance and its really no big deal.

The first time I used my OC was straight out of the academy... on myself. I felt something tugging on my belt, in a narrow hallway, and looked down to see what it was. Turns out it was the handle of my MK9 that had caught on a hand rail. I realized this just the handle popped off and dumped the whole can in my face. That was fun. At least for everyone watching.

Anyone use the new vapors? That stuff is no joke! In my experiance, real "crazy people" do not respond to OC. They just kind of look at you and continue to ramble about the CIA and space aliens. Vapor actually gains compliance, its like majic. Problem is, it gets you and everone in the vicinity too.

I'm still standing by the milk. Use it, know it, love it!

jared91
04-20-11, 09:45
lots of funny stories in this. thanks for the advice guys! now i know how to avoid getting it on my junk, to make my OC can doesnt get snagged on anything.... LOL... and how to deal with it. glad yall went through it before me!

LazyUSN
04-24-11, 00:16
Baby shampoo or dawn to get some of the OC off. Then sit in front of a fan or inside in the A/C to cool down and just sit still. Worked perfect for me. Most people freak out and wander around and don't allow themselves to relax.

And when you shower later on that evening, lean your melon over the shower and rinse you face with cool water. Don't hop right in bc the OC will run right down onto your boys. My roommate made this mistake.

warpigM-4
04-24-11, 02:38
something that work on skin was something i never thought of can't put it in your eyes but Nail polish remover on your skin will stop the burn almost in a instance .
I think it is the acetone in it i was sprayed on the neck and a friend did this to prove it and I will be damned it did work
Know it will not work in your eyes of course .but we used plain water and air ,but as stated do not rub your eyes it makes it worst

AR_Forever
05-06-11, 23:27
Yup bend over when you wash; don't scrub hard it makes it worse. use lots of water and fluffy towel to dab dry. I haven't used soap or milk most guys who have it didn't seem to help much other then more to clean up.
One thing to use for sure is a fan. Ask the FD if they will let you borrow one, kind they put in doorways to vent smoke. Fire that puppy up wash really good and put your face in it about 10 min later you are good to go. Your face will be red but you will be able to open your eyes and walk around. Cuts recovery time down quite a bit.

Mr blasty
05-09-11, 05:57
Try Dawn dish soap and then acne pad wipes. As jklaughrey said it's an oil with micro pulverized powder in it. The dish soap will get rid of the oil and the acne wipes will clean the powder out of the pores of your skin. This will eliminate the bulk of it. Either way it sounds like a shity time.

Apricotshot
05-09-11, 07:54
When you take a shower make sure to lean over in the shower when you wash your hair or face. You don't want to know what it feels like to have the clap.

PaiN108
05-10-11, 23:20
I have only been sprayed once when I was in the academy, but that shit sucks. I was the smart ass who let one of the women in class go before me because she was freaking out and had to get it over with. The can that she got sprayed with ran out and she only got a couple of drops on her face. Well they then pulled out a can of some shit that they must have pulled from Satan's veins, because I had nice chemical burns on my eyelids lol. And of course they dumped half of the can from the top of my head to my chest. Needless to say it was the only time that I thought that putting dawn dish washing detergent in my eyes was a good idea.

On a side not when they tell you not to breath in until after you have washed your face, definitely take their word for it. Other than feeling like I had an acetylene torch on my face for an hour I did survive.

BrianS
05-11-11, 04:41
On a side not when they tell you not to breath in until after you have washed your face, definitely take their word for it.

I thought many places made people do tasks after being hit with it like hit a heavy bag, handcuff a training partner, etc.?

MeanRider
05-11-11, 08:17
Blowing air is the best thing for it, dry your face and then blow it off, any type of liqued will give momentary relief but having wind in your face will actually remove it. and then keep moving don't sit there and take it, move around go for a little jog it will help keep your mind off the pain.

.45fmjoe
05-11-11, 16:04
The only thing the "decon" liquids did for me was burn the **** out of my face and neck.

Initial rinse with baby shampoo and copious amounts of water followed by more water, a little more water, some more water after that and cool air. Lots of fresh air. Don't forget to strobe your eyes. Medicated eye drops (with one of the -caines in it) is actually a god send but the effects only last 30 minutes tops. Later on at home I found sticking my head in the freezer helped A LOT. It made me temporarily comfortable. :sarcastic:

.45fmjoe
05-11-11, 16:05
I thought many places made people do tasks after being hit with it like hit a heavy bag, handcuff a training partner, etc.?

Yup, much to the amusement of the instructors who dictated how much time you spent at each station fighting the dummy. :sarcastic:

markm
05-11-11, 16:15
thanks for the replys guys. seems like i will be screwed, i have super sensitive skin :(

You'll be that guy who looks like a lobster in after action debrief. :p

I didn't find OC to be that bad. We had to fight, order a second threat to the ground and get our radio traffic out.

There were broads in this deal who would have been dead meat if the scenario were real. :sarcastic:

.45fmjoe
05-11-11, 16:20
You'll be that guy who looks like a lobster in after action debrief. :p

I didn't find OC to be that bad. We had to fight, order a second threat to the ground and get our radio traffic out.

There were broads in this deal who would have been dead meat if the scenario were real. :sarcastic:

We had one girl in our class, she fell to the ground crying and after the instructors yelled at her and told her she would not graduate if she didn't fight for FIVE MINUTES, she finally got up and did what she was told. I don't think I want her backing me up if I'm in the shit.

I didn't think it hurt so bad, either. My eyes didn't burn they just wouldn't open unless I tried really hard. My face burned, but my eyes did not. After that it felt like a bad sunburn and my eyes were just irritated as hell until the next day.

mxnjd
05-11-11, 17:14
We use about every kind of OC pepper spray out there, in copious amounts. Some of the new vapors and foggers are just plane evil and I've been covered in all of them. A quick water rinse and air are the standard. I don't think the decon sprays are much better, at least not in my experiance.

The first time I tried milk I had been saturated with the orange, Sabre 5.0 stuff in some very sensitive areas (long story). I tried to suck it up as long as I could, then I had the same thought that you did. I grabbed some milk gave myself a decon... sweet relief! It worked better than anything i've ever used and made the rest of my day!

Never used Dawn, but I'm going to give that a try. As far as soothing relief on sensitive areas... milk does a body good!

Sabre 5.0?? Dang! And I thought I got it bad. lol

markm
05-11-11, 19:10
We had one girl in our class, she fell to the ground crying and after the instructors yelled at her and told her she would not graduate if she didn't fight for FIVE MINUTES, she finally got up and did what she was told. I don't think I want her backing me up if I'm in the shit.

One chick in our class just turned her back to the threat and froze up for a few minutes... trying to peel here eyes open.. and offering a sad fight on the strike bags.

Shit. The longer you fart around with the fight and radio traffic, the longer you're stuck with that stuff on your face. Was a good motivation for me. I was all over that impact bag.

Warg
05-11-11, 22:43
I'm assuming this thread is related to newer mace/pepper spray- not the old-school tear gas stuff.

If so...
Capsiacin, the active ingredient in peppers and pepper spray elicits a sensation of burning pain by selectively activating receptors in your mouth (TRPV1) and elsewhere that transmit information about noxious stimuli to the central nervous system. This is a nonpolar compound, i.e., it is insoluble in water.

Alcohol is a polar liquid that will dissolve the capciasin/heat. Milk works as well, but via two mechanisms: 1. the fats are polar and will dissolve the capsaicin and 2. the caseins in milk will actively compete for the TRPV1 receptors, thereby reducing the stimuli to the CNS.

Dish soap is nonpolar too. That's why it works.

Atchcraft
05-12-11, 12:15
I'm assuming this thread is related to newer mace/pepper spray- not the old-school tear gas stuff.

If so...
Capsiacin, the active ingredient in peppers and pepper spray elicits a sensation of burning pain by selectively activating receptors in your mouth (TRPV1) and elsewhere that transmit information about noxious stimuli to the central nervous system. This is a nonpolar compound, i.e., it is insoluble in water.

Alcohol is a polar liquid that will dissolve the capciasin/heat. Milk works as well, but via two mechanisms: 1. the fats are polar and will dissolve the capsaicin and 2. the caseins in milk will actively compete for the TRPV1 receptors, thereby reducing the stimuli to the CNS.

Dish soap is nonpolar too. That's why it works.

Great info! This is how I always want my posts to sound... It just comes out, "Fire BAAAD!"

NC_DAVE
05-12-11, 22:10
i have been spray a few times, water mixed with dish soap works. milk works even better but i would use a small bowl and empty after each use. also milk with a wash cloth works well. i also feel that the more you get sprayed the less it effects you. so you could always attempt to build a tolerance to oc (if you are brave).

nc state statue for spray is nothing more than face person sprayed into the wind. if there is no wind you are SOL.

i feel like the best thing is force your eyes open with your hands and let your eye do their job and water up. it seems to work the best for me.

jck397
05-13-11, 14:16
:eek:

And when you rinse off your face, bend at the waist. Don't stand straight up and let the water/OC run down your pants.

This. If you don't you get real squirmy, real fast. Trust me.

NoveskeFan
05-13-11, 14:33
I'd take the Taser over OC any day! The water out of the hose felt like liquid nitrogen when it first hit my scorched face! I freaked as the effects kicked in but once I started to breath out of my mouth all was bearable. We had a guy that ran inside into the bathroom crying and the LT was pissed! He yelled out "Tell that weak-sauce S.O.B. to get out here before I go in there and spray him again!" :D Ah, memories...

markm
05-13-11, 14:41
I'd take the Taser over OC any day!

I've heard that a lot. I've never done the taser, but I'd do the OC again if there was a good reason... employment requirement or something... not for entertainment value though. ;)

NoveskeFan
05-13-11, 14:47
I've heard that a lot. I've never done the taser, but I'd do the OC again if there was a good reason... employment requirement or something... not for entertainment value though. ;)

The great thing about the Taser is that after the 5 seconds, its done. OC is like Grandma's fruit cake, it stays around.

ST911
05-13-11, 17:29
The effects of the Taser can be significant, but are bolstered by self-fulfilling prophecy. The ride is not pleasant, but it ends quickly. When it ends, your pulse and resps are up, but you are exactly otherwise in the same condition as when you started.

One can build up a tolerance to OC, given enough exposures. It's still not pleasant though. The lingering isn't fun either, but it's not intolerable.

Dave_M
05-13-11, 20:29
you could always attempt to build a tolerance to oc (if you are brave).

I still have some pictures from that :D

.45fmjoe
05-13-11, 22:16

Pussy. :D

The TASER sucks but 5 seconds later it's over. Granted you will count to five about 3 times in your mind and wonder why the **** the demon machine is still hurting you. :jester:

NC_DAVE
05-14-11, 07:45
I still have some pictures from that :D
I forgot you took pictures of that :sarcastic:

NC_DAVE
05-16-11, 05:30
Pussy. :D

The TASER sucks but 5 seconds later it's over. Granted you will count to five about 3 times in your mind and wonder why the **** the demon machine is still hurting you. :jester:

That is most definitely the longest 5 seconds of your life. I remember thinking twice what was taking so long.

tpd223
05-18-11, 21:15
Use Dawn dish soap after exposure to wash everything that the mace came into contact with. Even put it in your eyes, the shit works! The mace is oily and Dawn does a awesome job at getting it off you completely. I have used it a few times with great success. I carry a small bottle in my trunk just in case I get some on me at work.

Whatever you do, do not rub your eyes or anything after you have been maced. You will regret it.

DO NOT use Dawn in your eyes. Ever.

Detergent makes things worse and can actually be dangerous.

I have been sprayed well over 50 times in training, and a few times on the street, so I am right down the center of my lane.

Cool water works. Adding baby shampoo works better.

Sucking it up for a few minutes seems to work well for me. If I don't touch the stuff it seems to go away quicker.

The two part cleanser sold by the Saber folks is the only commercial product that I have seen yet that works as advertised. For some folks it's not much better than baby shampoo, but for many it works surprisingly well.

markm
05-18-11, 21:19
I have been sprayed well over 50 times in training, and a few times on the street, so I am right down the center of my lane.

DAMN! Sounds like it's nearly a fettish for you at this point. :p

tpd223
05-18-11, 21:35
DAMN! Sounds like it's nearly a fettish for you at this point. :p

Not really. I've been teaching recruit and in-service classes since 1989, and teaching instructor cert classes since 1994.

snake eater 332
06-02-11, 10:51
I've been sprayed by OC spray several times, both intentionally in a training setting and accidentally on the street by fellow officers during a scuffle, and it sucks ass! I'm a fair skinned Irish boy who doesn't like very spicy food, so it hits me friggin' hard. But you work through it. Fresh water, air, and time is all I've ever used and it usually clears up in like 30-60 minutes or so.

Getting tased sucks, too! Not fun! I 'volunteer' to get tased every time we have recert training, so I've been tased at least 5-6 times. Yeah, I'm also part dumbass... But like previously noted, it only lasts a few seconds...a few very long seconds. Neither one is the least bit enjoyable.

Von Rheydt
06-04-11, 09:26
Question for you:

Are you using pepper sprays, CS/CN/CR or PAVA spray?

I ask because in the UK Police we use PAVA. I am tolerant to CS/CN/CR but PAVA just stops you [fullstop]. I have seen huge beef machines capable of drunken mas destruction stopped by a 5'4" police woman and a PAVA spray.

markm
06-04-11, 11:40
Wow. I've never heard of PAVA.

QuietShootr
06-04-11, 12:35

It's ****ing awful, and it's pretty close to the same shit that's in OC. I was sprayed with it in a school in Germany. However, it's not really that much different than a really REALLY hot OC, like Fox or some of the bear sprays.

I believe it's also what the Pepperball munitions are loaded with.

Von Rheydt
06-04-11, 15:51

I'll explain briefly.

The UK is uptight and concerned about any kind of offensive weapons, to a degree it works in controlling the scrotes.

Move that concern into a need for a more proactive officer safety requirement and immediately sprays were put forward as a lesss than lethal option. However, the UK Police learned from some of the US LE experiences and some of the UK military experiences.

A team of scientists was put together to examine what was available and how effective and also how dangerous it is. The conclusion was that pepper spray was the best option. However, pepper spray is put together from naturally harvested plant material - normally from south of the border. The scientists kept finsing diffences between every batch they tested and put this down to the fact that no two farmers use the same soil or same fertilisers to grow the base material for pepper spray. This was considered an unacceptable risk as the UK is now as litigous as the USA and there are much stronger weapons laws at work than in the USA.

To put that in context: Any form of irritant spray designed as a weapon of self defence or assault is in the same legal class as a full auto weapon, grenade, bazooka, land mine or fully operational tank. Interestingly though, stun grenades are classified as fireworks ;).

So back to the scientists: In order to mitigate risks and lawsuits the scientists isolated the active ingredients in the meanest nastiest pepper spray they could get hold of. This resulted in the chemically produced PAVA spray. Nice stuff.

snake eater 332
06-04-11, 15:57
Question for you:

Are you using pepper sprays, CS/CN/CR or PAVA spray?

I ask because in the UK Police we use PAVA. I am tolerant to CS/CN/CR but PAVA just stops you [fullstop]. I have seen huge beef machines capable of drunken mas destruction stopped by a 5'4" police woman and a PAVA spray.

My agency uses OC (oleoresin capscium) spray, a type of pepper spray. It's nasty, but some of the population is not affected by it as much as others. As a matter of fact, I don't think it's ever even left it's pouch, other than to be periodically replaced, since we've been issued tasers.

jtsikes0204
09-06-11, 12:00
Baby shampoo and cold water works for OC spray, but it will reactivate again if you take a hot shower.

sounds like you figured that out the hard way!

Magic_Salad0892
09-06-11, 13:17
One time, I was trying to get in my girlfriends pants, and I was about to get lucky, so we were on our couch, and I was laying on top of her purse, (which has a can of OC spray, I think she got it from ALS or something) and after about... 2.5 minutes I felt the worst burning sensation on my nether region EVER.

I OC sprayed my own dick, because I laid on her purse. D:

Milk DID work for me. A little.

Those pore cleanser things you put on your nose to get rid of blackheads worked pretty well actually.

Penis hurt for a day.

Pouring Milk on your ass also isn't fun.

The whole experience totally sucked.

Unicorn
10-23-11, 05:12
A mix of water and baby shampoo. OC is an oil based substance, even if the carrier is water or alcohol. The shampoo which is made to wash away the oils in hair does an ok job on OC. Followed by a lot of water for rinsing, and sitting in front of a fan.
That's why milk, or sour cream, works with food. The fats in that mix and carry the OC away. If you're going to try it, use whole milk not skim.
If you look at the ingredient lists of a the decon sprays and wipes, they are basically water, shampoo, and some have sugar.

.45fmjoe
10-23-11, 07:56
Funny this thread should pop up in the new posts, I switched agencies and am 3/4 of the way through a second academy (this time federal) and I was just OC sprayed last Tuesday. I ended up at the health unit that night, and the nurse practitioner said I was having a bad allergic reaction to it. The stuff we were sprayed with here seems to have been a bit nastier than the stuff I got at my other academy. It wasn't until Wednesday in the late afternoon that my eyes had recovered. I believe that's the last time I will switch agencies, since I reacted very similarly the first time and apparently I'm allergic to it? :suicide:

Slinger646
10-27-11, 15:47
What worked for me:

Water + Baby Shampoo at first, then straight water followed by fresh air and "strobing" my eyes by blinking fast.

I also stripped nude outside the barracks, double bagging my clothes in contractor bags. Those were washed at a laundromat with a heavy duty degreaser.

As for the after effects, I took a HOT shower to open up my pores. It lit me on fire again, but not as bad and for not as long. Lean over, you don't want OC on teh ballz.

After that drink 14 PBRs and go to sleep.

markm
10-27-11, 16:05
My long sleeve shirt is still out in the garage from like 2 years ago. :p

jared91
10-30-11, 14:27
wow, i completely forgot about this thread. all great suggestions guys, but i changed my major and will no longer be doing law enforcement :(

nobody knows
11-02-11, 01:38
About two months ago I bought my wife two different kinds of oc, saber red and fox labs 5.3. I wanted to test how effective they where, and show my wife that someone determined enough could still do a lot of damage after being sprayed. We did the saber red first and I thought this isn't bad. About an hour later we did the 5.3 and it was by far the worst out of the two, I tried water and that made it worse(much worse wen the water ran down my pants) like others have said time and fresh air seemed to work the best. Later this week I get to take a ride from the taser X26 and c2 so my wife can see what they are like. Anyway good luck don't panic and control your breathing or you will choke.

.45fmjoe
11-02-11, 05:24
About two months ago I bought my wife two different kinds of oc, saber red and fox labs 5.3. I wanted to test how effective they where, and show my wife that someone determined enough could still do a lot of damage after being sprayed. We did the saber red first and I thought this isn't bad. About an hour later we did the 5.3 and it was by far the worst out of the two, I tried water and that made it worse(much worse wen the water ran down my pants) like others have said time and fresh air seemed to work the best. Later this week I get to take a ride from the taser X26 and c2 so my wife can see what they are like. Anyway good luck don't panic and control your breathing or you will choke.

I've taken a ride once and been drive stunned twice with an X26, I'm afraid of that demon machine. I would take the OC over it. :D

nobody knows
11-02-11, 17:46
I've taken a ride once and been drive stunned twice with an X26, I'm afraid of that demon machine. I would take the OC over it. :D

Lol that's what I have been told by some of my LE friends, I'm not really looking forword to it.

markm
11-03-11, 08:53
About two months ago I bought my wife two different kinds of oc, saber red and fox labs 5.3. I wanted to test how effective they where, and show my wife that someone determined enough could still do a lot of damage after being sprayed. We did the saber red first and I thought this isn't bad. About an hour later we did the 5.3 and it was by far the worst out of the two,

I'm wondering if only having an hour of recovery impacted how the 5.3 felt. I mean.. your pores could have been wide open still from the first blast.

nobody knows
11-06-11, 19:46
I'm wondering if only having an hour of recovery impacted how the 5.3 felt. I mean.. your pores could have been wide open still from the first blast.

I'm sure it had more of an effect because of that fact, and since you brought that up I wanted to test it again. But this time I just used the 5.3. So after I got hit with the taser x26 and the c2 yesterday I had my wife give me a real good spray......and it still hurt like f¿€k lol. But it wasn't quit as bad as wen I did the one wright after the other. On a side note the X26 is probably the best tool the police have at their disposal for the job It's intended to do. That thing is not fun at all. I took one cartridge,and then had her hit me again with the same cartridge wen I tried to stand up. Then we removed the cartridge and I took two contact shots. You sure as hell stop doing whatever it is that the person using it wants you to stop doing lol. I don't think I will be giving that another go.

Limey-
11-07-11, 01:24
I will take the Taser over OC any day. Done both a number of times as well as CS a bunch in the Military. Taser me daily over OC or CS once a week.

Silent
11-18-11, 13:09
The dawn dish soap... but like all things... time heals all wounds lol

TacMedic556
11-18-11, 16:11
as cold a shower as you can stand. This keeps your pores closed. When they open it hurts worse. Hold your eyelids open and allow the water to flush and flow over them for a LONG time and repeat this part throughout the process. Shampoo with yours, your wifes, and whatever other shampoo you have in there. MAKE A THICK LATHER and let it flow over you. Then soap up several times.

My shower lasted me a long time after my most recent spraying.

The worst yet was the Grizzly Bear Spray I took the the face and chest and arms. Wow, the inside crease of my elbows burned for days. My eyes swelled. .....:bad:

Generalpie
11-18-11, 23:32
Advice after the gas house. Man up and deal with it! It sucks everytime but nothing that can't be dealt with. Taser sucks big time, I wouldnt volunteer for another ride.

snake eater 332
11-21-11, 09:46

^^^ I agree wholeheartedly!!!

LoboTBL
11-21-11, 23:52
I spent more than enough time in military going to the CS chamber training/confidence building exercise.
I've been an LEO for 16 years and am OC and Taser qualified. I've never been sprayed with OC or Tased as any part of training and never will be. I really don't see it as a valid training/will to fight/confidence building issue any more than I would see being shot in the chest while wearing body armor as a valid training tool.
Comments are welcome.

Brian1/75
11-23-11, 12:43
as cold a shower as you can stand. This keeps your pores closed. When they open it hurts worse. Hold your eyelids open and allow the water to flush and flow over them for a LONG time and repeat this part throughout the process. Shampoo with yours, your wifes, and whatever other shampoo you have in there. MAKE A THICK LATHER and let it flow over you. Then soap up several times.

My shower lasted me a long time after my most recent spraying.

The worst yet was the Grizzly Bear Spray I took the the face and chest and arms. Wow, the inside crease of my elbows burned for days. My eyes swelled. .....:bad:
Wish I read this a couple years ago when the cops put me down in a little alleyway scruffle I got dragged in. I kept taking hot showers and thought somehow the water was just reactivating the crap. I didn't think of it as just my pores opening up. I'd then try to wash my face and get it in my eyes again. It eventually went completely away after a couple days.

usmc1371
11-24-11, 01:09
This is one of the funniest threads I have ever read. I got OC'd years before I joined the Marines so I was really worried about the gas chamber, turns out CS is not bad at all compared to good OC. Every time there was a chance to go to the gas chamber in the Marines I raised my hand and after a few trips through it really ain't that bad. It was usuly better than what ever else I was going to spend my day doing.

When I was in Okinawa my squad got picked to do some bull shit crowd control "training". I tried to tell them I had already been sprayed so I should just get my OC cert but for some reason they wasn't having it. We got sprayed one at a time and had to do some bag drills and O course shit. The fight over the 5 gallon water jugs we had with us would put the last UFC to shame. Dawn and cold water is better than nothing.

markm
11-25-11, 08:37
This is one of the funniest threads I have ever read. I got OC'd years before I joined the Marines so I was really worried about the gas chamber, turns out CS is not bad at all compared to good OC. Every time there was a chance to go to the gas chamber in the Marines I raised my hand and after a few trips through it really ain't that bad. It was usuly better than what ever else I was going to spend my day doing.

I like the footage of some of those recruits in full panic mode.... just dying.

charmcitycop
11-28-11, 18:16

Outlaw621
12-01-11, 18:51
I've OCed a lot of guys during training and have seen nearly every bit of booney medicine you can imagine... I would say that milk mostly makes a big mess, nothing more.

Fresh Air + Time = Recovery, that is a universal recovery prescription.

Baby shampoo at first seems to help some, but time and fresh air are what you need.

I agree with the above quote. Remember when you go home to take a shower that if you were in a fog room application it is still in your hair and will run down over your face again with the water. Keep your head tilted back when rinsing to try and keep it out of your eyes, nose and mouth.

Outlaw621
12-01-11, 18:55
When I went through the academy I got CS gas, OC spray, and TASER.
TASER was the most painful, but it was over when it was over.
CS Gas sucked and was midly panic inducing but once you got out of the gas chamber you could see and everything was copasetic. I think people freak out because of the claustrophobic nature of the gas chamber.
That OC spray (we got our faces painted with Sabre Red) ruined me - I couldn't see or breathe for almost 30 minutes, and I was pretty miserable for almost 2 days. I just leaned up against the building and focused on trying to not puke.
I've been OC sprayed several times on the job (usually by some dumb rookie who still thinks OC spray is a good idea in a major civil disturbance, I don't carry the stuff) and I've always been able to fight through it.
When I went through SWAT school, they hit us several times with Mr. Clearout, CS gas, or a combination of the stuff.
It wasn't as bad the second time around, but that comes from experience and exposure and not wanting to look like a punk. :)
Unfortunately he is correct. You will always get the rookie who thinks OC is the answer to all disputes and will usually spray it into the wind so it directly blows back to you and not the suspect. It does get easier every time you are exposed. I think it is because you already know how it effects you individually and you can prepare to deal with it.