PDA

View Full Version : Steel cased ammo through suppressor OK?

kaltesherz
04-18-11, 22:43
I would've sworn this would've been covered by now but a search turned up nothing :blink:

Since in a few months it'll be legal in my state to use suppressors, I should be picking up an AAC SPR/M4 in the next few weeks (er, buying and submitting my Form 4 at least). Thing is when I shoot outdoors I almost exclusively shoot Brown Bear through my Colt 14.5, but could've sworn that I read somewhere that people have claimed to had baffle strikes from various steel cased .223 due to lacking QC. While my initial reaction is to write it off as TOS urban "steel cased ammo will make your AR blow up" legend, I'm not willing to bet a $1400 can before doing some research.

So Brown Bear through a can, yay or nay?

Iraqgunz
04-18-11, 23:01
I have put about 2500 rounds of steel case through mine, suppressed. I am skeptical when it comes to certain brands. Mine was Hornady TAP.

Don Robison
04-18-11, 23:04
I haven't used Brown Bear, but I've got 3K of Wolf through my M4-02 on a 10.5" LMT.

RyanB
04-18-11, 23:37
My LMT would only run Wolf with the can on. Junk ammo but very soft shooting and quiet.

JasonM
04-19-11, 08:50
Cheap ammo is cheap ammo, decent ammo is decent ammo, it doesn't matter what it's made of. In general, if the ammo shoots fine in your gun (no keyholing on targets, etc) it'll be fine through a can.

markm
04-19-11, 08:50
Not a problem... I'd use the TAP for the better bullet that will fly true through your baffle stack.

kaltesherz
04-19-11, 09:47
Thanks for the replies, I guess the "theory" was that because Russian QC might be lacking,every now and then projectiles would break apart upon leaving the barrel and cause massive baffle strikes. Sounds like an urban legend at this point...

Dave_M
04-19-11, 12:34
The only steel cased stuff I put through mine is Hornady.

kaltesherz
04-19-11, 15:12
TAP practice is good stuff (I've got a bit of the 75gr stuff) but the 55gr stuff I see for sale these days is actually more expensive than PMC and don't know if it's that much more accurate to pay more and also not have brass left over.

markm
04-19-11, 15:17
Thanks for the replies, I guess the "theory" was that because Russian QC might be lacking,every now and then projectiles would break apart upon leaving the barrel and cause massive baffle strikes. Sounds like an urban legend at this point...

Highly unlikely. If you're looking to shoot the Russian stuff... just inspect the ammo for excessive bullet runout if it worries you.

You can roll the ammo on a flat surface and should see no wobble in the bullet tip. That's about the only thing I could think of that would cause a baffle strike.... The bullets not likely to just come apart.

Iraqgunz
04-19-11, 16:55
I don't really pay attention to "accuracy" as much as some. But, the Hornady loading uses Hornady bullets and is "accurate" from what I have seen. And I can almost assure you that it's hotter than the PMC ammo.

TAP practice is good stuff (I've got a bit of the 75gr stuff) but the 55gr stuff I see for sale these days is actually more expensive than PMC and don't know if it's that much more accurate to pay more and also not have brass left over.