PDA

View Full Version : A threaded barrel, no suppressor.. whats the sense?

kyrin88
04-19-11, 11:52
I know a few people who have guns with threaded barrels on them, but they have no suppressors nor have any intention on acquiring one. I really cant justify it other than it being a cool factor for use without a suppressor. A friend of mine bought a sig 1911 with a threaded barrel and when I asked him why he told me that it looks cool. I mean, its not practical for carry because of holster issues and among other reasons. Maybe someone can shine some light on this...:confused:

sammage
04-19-11, 11:54
I'd say mostly for the CDI factor...not that I approve.

"Not that I have a can, but I could attach one..."

Kind of like folks who get wrapped around the axle about having NV compliant dots without having NV.

markm
04-19-11, 11:56
You'd get a little bit of extra velocity with the longer barrel. But I doubt I'd run one if I didn't have a can.

Titleist
04-19-11, 11:59
Seems to be the trend. I think it makes holster options more of a bitch.

I know a few people who own them in CA, who can't even assemble them (illegal) yet still own threaded barrels. So uh...yeah.

For practical accuracy that quarter inch won't really do much of anything. Better ammo and dry firing would have more of a real world pay off.

loupav
04-19-11, 12:01
On some guns it just looks cool. I'd put them on my guns just to spite California, if it wasn't a felony for me to do so.

Cosmo M3
04-19-11, 12:07
they make most guns look better.

Most M&P owners of guilty of this (look at the number of M&P threaded barrel and X300 combinations are on this forum)

HK45C with OEM threaded barrel and Insight M6X look great as well.

Titleist
04-19-11, 12:10
I'd be interested to know how many gun owners in general here have threaded barrels, or even muzzle devices on their rifles (suppressor mounts), who actually have the real intention of adding a suppressor to their gun down the line.

kyrin88
04-19-11, 12:34
I would initially invest the money into the suppressor and in the time save up to buy a host for it. It makes more sense this way if you are going into threaded barrels.

opmike
04-19-11, 12:40
You're telling me that people pay for things that aren't always practical?

Say it ain't so!

Guns-up.50
04-19-11, 12:55
The only real reason for a civilian to have a can other than the tacti-cool factor would be for a house gun, for those of you who might not have truly fired indoors without ear pro it is a life changing expirence plus my little ones dont wear earplugs to bed. If you want the threads and have the means go for it.

Titleist
04-19-11, 13:16
Exactly. My M&P + Osprey is my bedside gun.

C4IGrant
04-19-11, 13:23
I'd be interested to know how many gun owners in general here have threaded barrels, or even muzzle devices on their rifles (suppressor mounts), who actually have the real intention of adding a suppressor to their gun down the line.

I have one on a M&P 9. I also have a 9mm can that I do use at least once a year (you will see it at the BW class in Nov.).

Personally, I think HG cans are just about a waste and have very little purpose (outside of specifice .Mil reqs).

C4

LetUsTry
04-19-11, 13:34
Exactly. My M&P + Osprey is my bedside gun.

If I have to use my firearm in my home I want everyone to know about it! :) I want people to know something's wrong.

suppressed shooting is for the desert in order to avoid using ear protection.

Otherwise, having a threaded barrel but not owning a suppressor is kind of like having a lower receiver with a "burst" or "auto" markings but no select fire capability.

Titleist
04-19-11, 13:39
My apartment is ultra modern, i.e 90 percent of the walls are exposed concrete. I don't want to go deaf in the process of having to shoot my handgun. :blink:

you will see it at the BW class in Nov.)

I expect lots of cool toys to come out during that class.

markm
04-19-11, 13:55
for those of you who might not have truly fired indoors without ear pro it is a life changing expirence plus my little ones dont wear earplugs to bed.

A buddy ND'd a round into his kitchen table while I was standing next to him. Hardly a "life changing experience" :confused:

Actually shooting an intruder, on the other hand, would likely be a life changing experience... but you're not really going to hear those gun shots.

JDW67
04-19-11, 14:04
Reminds me of the fake cans on ar's...

Darnok
04-19-11, 14:12
One use for a threaded barrel is adding a Vortex type of flash suppressor. I have one on my HK 45USP Tactical and it does have some effect on mitigating the flash intensity in darkness. I have no plans for a suppressor purchase, and I do like the OE adjustable rear sight, so the extra price was worth it for my use.

http://i442.photobucket.com/albums/qq144/89423konrad/DSC_0438.jpg

kyrin88
04-19-11, 14:25
Not a big fan of vortex style flash suppressors on my handgun. Don't really see any advantage of having that thing on your gun, but if it lowers the flash a little bit then go for it. Is that a night stand gun or do you carry it?

Guns-up.50
04-19-11, 14:29
Ok not life changing but you get the point. I was reffering to carbines, in mud huts and concrete buildings, but i think im getting off topic here

QuietShootr
04-19-11, 14:29

Who cares, really? I look at it as, all those people who buy them because they think they look cool just subsidize my ability to buy factory-threaded guns that I'll actually use, instead of having to chase down aftermarket barrels and having thread jobs done.

markm
04-19-11, 14:30
Ok not life changing but you get the point. I was reffering to carbines, in mud huts and concrete buildings, but i think im getting off topic here

Gotcha!

skyugo
04-19-11, 14:32
A buddy ND'd a round into his kitchen table while I was standing next to him. Hardly a "life changing experience" :confused:

probably a shorts changing experience though :o

markm
04-19-11, 14:41
probably a shorts changing experience though :o

No. It startled me... but it wasn't that bad. He left me standing there and went into the garage... then his WIFE comes around the corner... and I'm left there speechless.

Darnok
04-19-11, 14:53
Not a big fan of vortex style flash suppressors on my handgun. Don't really see any advantage of having that thing on your gun, but if it lowers the flash a little bit then go for it. Is that a night stand gun or do you carry it?

Used as a night stand gun these days. Owned the gun for around 10 years and it's still on my carry permit, it's the only threaded barrel I own, have no use for another one.

dirt_diver
04-19-11, 15:27
Total newb question, but wouldn't the thinking behind a part such a Battlecomp style suppressor/flash-hider, ie reducing muzzle rise/climb as well as mitigating muzzle flash, make sense for a HD handgun as well? Plus it would be much shorter than a full on suppressor, one of the biggest negatives with handgun suppressors, IMHO.

ehcarl2983
04-19-11, 17:44
I think there is a small objective advantage of a threaded barrel in the small chance you ended up on the ground fighting for your life, the action would not unlock if you needed to make a contact gunshot.

I personally don't own any, and have no real plans for one. I just always figured this is why people got em.

Outrider
04-19-11, 17:47
There are people who think they're going to get a suppressor and then change their minds. I think this is common with people who are interested in suppressors for an AR-15 style rifle and then bail out on the idea. It's easy to buy a flash hider with a built in mount say like AAC's Blackout 18T. People get cold feet about spending another grand on the can or decide that the reliability factor is too big an issue vs. the cool factor.

I'd say some of the pistol owners with threaded barrels and no cans, also got cold feet when it came time to putting down the money on a suppressor.

ColdDeadHands
04-27-11, 09:25
I have the TB on my M&P only because I got a good deal on the Threaded Barrel Package...and it was the only M&P9 I could find. Honestly tho, I think the TB will spend most of it's life in the Box...unless I get a suppressor someday.

Iraq Ninja
04-27-11, 10:02
I think there is a small objective advantage of a threaded barrel in the small chance you ended up on the ground fighting for your life, the action would not unlock if you needed to make a contact gunshot.

I personally don't own any, and have no real plans for one. I just always figured this is why people got em.

Bingo! Barrel punching someone in the head is the universal language for "calm the **** down right now." It is a valid technique is certain, specific situations.

You don't need a longer barrel, but it will help. But, that is not the primary reason to get a threaded barrel.

Beat Trash
04-27-11, 10:31
The primary reason for getting a threaded barrel without a can is...

Chicks Dig It.

I have heard of a couple of guys who eventually got a can after buying a gun with a threaded barrel, only to find the threads on the barrel didn't match the can they wanted to buy.

If/when I get a can for a pistol, I'll get the paperwork and the can first, then outfit the gun with the appropriate barrel and taller sights.

markm
04-27-11, 10:31
Bingo! Barrel punching someone in the head is the universal language for "calm the **** down right now." It is a valid technique is certain, specific situations.

Unfortunately it's frowned upon when you do this to your wife. :mad:

SWATcop556
04-27-11, 10:41
My X300 works well for standoff contact shots.

operator81
04-27-11, 10:55
My X300 works well for standoff contact shots.

This. Pressure on the barrel alone will take the gun out of battery. A extended/threaded barrel, in and of itself, does not create the ability for a contact shot. As SWATcop1911 said, a tac light is a way to get standoff distance.

FromMyColdDeadHand
04-27-11, 15:10
I'm having my M&P 9 cut for an RMR and I was thinking about running it in open class USPSA shooting. Is there a comp that I could easily put on and off with the threaded barrel to help make me a little more competive? I'm looking at the M&P as an EDC, so swapping on and off the comp would be nice. Just a thought.

davidjinks
04-27-11, 17:58
The only real reason for a civilian to have a can other than the tacti-cool factor would be for a house gun, for those of you who might not have truly fired indoors without ear pro it is a life changing expirence plus my little ones dont wear earplugs to bed. If you want the threads and have the means go for it.

Those are the only reasons a "Civilian" should have a suppressor?

Right…

For those that have threaded barrels but no suppressor:
Many times they bought the gun with a threaded barrel
Many times they buy the threaded barrel for the extra length
Many times they buy the threaded barrel for aesthetics
Many times they buy the threaded barrel because they thought about a suppressor but got scared away from all the internet banter about owning an NFA item

Of course that's just opinion based on what I've seen from some who have gone the routes above.

davidjinks
04-27-11, 17:59
Unfortunately it's frowned upon when you do this to your wife. :mad:

Only when she's awake...

west996
04-28-11, 10:02
Those are the only reasons a "Civilian" should have a suppressor?

Right…

For those that have threaded barrels but no suppressor:
Many times they bought the gun with a threaded barrel
Many times they buy the threaded barrel for the extra length
Many times they buy the threaded barrel for aesthetics
Many times they buy the threaded barrel because they thought about a suppressor but got scared away from all the internet banter about owning an NFA item

Of course that's just opinion based on what I've seen from some who have gone the routes above.

One more:
I intend on moving to a free state in 3 years upon retirement where I can actually own a suppressor.

GlockWRX
04-28-11, 15:10
One more reason for an extended barrel (not necessarily threaded) is on light equipped guns. If the barrel extends past the light, even a little, it significantly reduces fouling on the lens.

I've shot perhaps 1000 rounds through my G34/X300 combo and never had to clean the lens. If I mount the light on the on my G17, the light is fouled rather badly after as few as 100 rounds. It doesn't have to be threaded, but an extended barrel can greatly reduce fouling of the light.

scottryan
04-28-11, 15:44
Expect pistols with threaded barrels to be banned from importation in the near furture.

hk45ctp30
04-28-11, 17:08
When I got ready to purchase an HK45C model, they were very hard to obtain. I work at Sportsman's Warehouse in New Mexico and we were also having a hard time finding them. When we got one, we were selling it for $995.00, and that was with the glow in the dark sights, not night sights with tritium. Finally, a friend of mine in another gun store found me a new one, which was the HK45CT model. It came with the threaded barrel, 2 10 round magazines, and extra-tall night sights in case a can was to be used on the pistol. The best part was that he was able to get it for me for $950.00, which was a much better deal than I could get and it came with many more options that would add more cost to the pistol later down the line. The threaded barrel alone costs $230.00 and the night sights another $140.00. I also use a Raven Concealment Systems kydex holster made for the HK45CT with the threaded barrel on the end. All in all, I'm very happy with the pistol. The only drawback I had seen is that I have to raise my arm just a tad higher when drawing the weapon from the holster when carrying CC. Otherwise, I like it. Next year I'm going to buy a Gemtech can for it just because I'm an American and I can!!