PDA

View Full Version : Trouble seeing through ARD

roadstar
04-19-11, 11:53
I use an Aimpoint M4S on my 6920. I find that at distances of over 50 yards in overcast conditions the ARD makes it hard for me to see some targets. When I take the ARD off I see a much clearer picture.

I 've read where people claim that they don't notice the ARD's at all on Aimpoints or ACOGS. Am I the exception?

JSantoro
04-19-11, 12:33
You may be. Most folks do not notice ARDs because they're inside the focal plane of either the user's eye or the optic they are looking through. However...

This presumes that the user is focusing on their intended target, and not on the reticle pattern of an RDS.

If you're sure that you're target-focused while shooting with your RDS and still get better results or at least a better view without the ARD, then don't use it. There's nothing that says you have to use it, unless you're victim to some unit SOP....

...in which case you're just boned.

roadstar
04-19-11, 12:42
No unit SOP for me to worry about. I'm just a civi shooter. I do like the idea of the reduced signature when using the ARD but I think I'm going to take them off of the aimpoint and ACOG for now as they seem to reduce my confidence in precision shooting at longer than CQB distance when lighting is not optimal.

I might ad that I know my eyes are not the best and it very well is just me. I just could not find where anyone else had complained about this and wanted to ask the question.

Thanks for the response JSantoro!