PDA

View Full Version : Bravo Company 20" SS Accuracy

OldState
04-19-11, 16:20
How accurate are these barrels?
http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-20-SAM-R-SS410-Barrel-with-Rifle-Length-Gas-p/bcm-ss410-samr%20brl%201%20ibb.htm
I was looking to build a CMP rifle and want a stainless steel barrel in black. Would these be anywhere near as accurate as WOA, etc? I am also wondering if a NM rifle could be built from professional grade parts.

I don't know if this is the right forum to ask this but I was thinking very few people on the National Match forum would even know of these. Sorry if this is a dopey question.

5pins
04-19-11, 16:32
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=71240

OldState
04-19-11, 16:53
I had read that review but was also wondering if the ionbonded barrels were as good.

What really I am wondering is it is possible build a rifle from BCM parts (minus sights, trigger, etc) that NM shooter would feel confident in bringing to Camp Perry.

ZRH
04-19-11, 17:46
Pretty sure Ionbond is just a trade name for a type of thin film PVD finish. That is, it should effect barrel even less than parkerizing.

Zanshin
04-19-11, 23:45
I am also wondering if a NM rifle could be built from professional grade parts.

I don't know if this is the right forum to ask this but I was thinking very few people on the National Match forum would even know of these. Sorry if this is a dopey question.

Your post is somewhat condescending to people who shoot HP. Why wouldn't people who shoot HP know that BCM sells barrels? By "Professional grade" do you mean mil spec parts? Is there even a mil spec for match barrels or do you just mean that it is MP tested?

How accurate are these barrels?
http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-2...%201%20ibb.htm
I was looking to build a CMP rifle and want a stainless steel barrel in black. Would these be anywhere near as accurate as WOA, etc?

I would say that most service rifles you see on the line have button Wilson or Douglas barrels or cut Krieger barrels. All are high grade barrels, with the Krieger being premium. BCM barrels are button rifled barrels chambered by the manufacturer for BCM. If you do a quick internet search you can find out the manufacturer. At any rate it is probably on par with the Wilson and Douglas barrels.

The majority of HP shooters use Wylde chambers. I am not that familiar with 5.56 Match chamber specs but from what I recall the leade is not as long as a Wylde chamber. You can do some research on this but from what I recall the chamber would be suitable for HP shooting.

That barrel should be fine to shoot HP, but keep in mind that HP shooters burn through barrels often so spending $$ on a fancy coating might not be a wise use of your funds. Barrels are like tires; when they wear out you replace them.

What really I am wondering is it is possible build a rifle from BCM parts (minus sights, trigger, etc) that NM shooter would feel confident in bringing to Camp Perry.

http://www.odcmp.com/Competitions/Rulebook.pdf

Read pages 23-24 of the rule book (Rule 6.2.3). If you want the rest of your service rifle to be built with "mil spec" parts, the new CMP rules allow for railed handguards. M16A4 clones have been legal a few years now. You could build a CMP legal SDM-R with a DD 12 or KAC FF RAS built on a BCM A4 upper with BCM BCG. None of that stuff has anything to do with accuracy. Just make sure that the rail you choose meets the CMP spec.

For the FSB I would suggest that WOA makes a "F" marked FSB with set screws and the propper NM front site post. The CMP spec requires a standard FSB (no buis). I believe that the Army's SDM-R has a set screw FSB like they use on service rifles anyway.

You would need to get a A4 carry handle that is set up for service rifle shooting. I believe that RRA makes one with 1/4 adjustments.

There you have it, mil spec-ish CMP legal upper that should also be competitive to shoot.

MistWolf
04-20-11, 13:17
Most service rifle uppers are from White Oak Armory or Compass Lake. As match shooters are competitive, that should be what they call a clue-by-four.

A good NM forum is http://www.usrifleteams.com/forums/

dakotalawdog
04-27-11, 17:06
I am getting 1/2MOA 5 shot groups at 100y, and have shot sub MOA groups out to 400yards, with match ammo. Even with M193 and M855 it shoots pretty good. BCM's SS410 barrels are produced by a premium barrel manufacturer. Without letting the cat out of the bag, I will assure you they are top of the line.

http://i474.photobucket.com/albums/rr101/andrijasevic/group.jpg
This was 4 shots at 400 yards.

NongShim
05-23-11, 13:39
What's the deal with everyone who apparently knows being so tight-lipped about who makes the stainless barrels for BCM? I'm pretty sure the premise of these forums is to share information, or is it to simply send people off to look elsewhere?

Cameron
05-23-11, 14:25
I don't have a 20" BCM SS410 barrel, but I do have an 18" BCM SS410 that is Ion Bonded. The Ion Bond is on the exterior of the barrel only, the interior chamber and bore are stainless steel and hand lapped. My BCM SS410 has proved itself to be a very well made barrel and is capable of producing sub MOA accuracy even producing several groups sub 0.5 MOA under ideal conditions.

What's the deal with everyone who apparently knows being so tight-lipped about who makes the stainless barrels for BCM? I'm pretty sure the premise of these forums is to share information, or is it to simply send people off to look elsewhere?
It is my understanding that BCM sources it's barrels from Krieger through their OEM supplier Criterion. Excellent barrels regardless of where they come from.

Bravo Company Mk 12 Mod 3X-Bravo SPR
BCM SS410™ 18" Stainless Barrel, Ionbond Black DLC with USMC SAM-R chamber
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5167/5295626582_39ebf9642c_b.jpg

Cameron

rojocorsa
08-03-14, 14:53
//Zombie thread I know...

But this. It's kind of annoying.

sinister
08-03-14, 20:55
My guess is they're from Criterion (formerly a division of Krieger). Considering Criterion is less than 20 miles away from BCM I'd say it might be a coincidence...or not.

Good blanks. If they're chambered and finished correctly they'll shoot straight. I've seen quite a few very good shooting M1 Garands barreled with Criterions.

Proper match-grade barrels start with good blanks and are heavily dependent on who machines them and how well. I had my son's M14 barreled with a medium-weight Criterion just before Christmas. He was high-scoring junior in the NRA-Springfield M1A Match at Camp Perry during the National Matches last month.

rojocorsa
08-05-14, 02:24
Thanks for the response.

I was thinking of redoing my M1 with one of those when the time came to can the current tube. (But that's another topic).