PDA

View Full Version : Got a Glock...

FlyChicaga
04-19-11, 18:19
A while ago I had inquired about the XDM as a duty weapon platform, because when testing it against the Glock 17 and M&P9, I was able to shoot it better. After some deliberation and more research, I decided to give the Glock another shot. This time I shot the Glock 19, and then the Glock 26 (only 50 rounds through the 26). I liked the 19 quite a bit, and by adjusting my grip, I was able to get really good groups, even at 25 yards.

I had talked myself into the 9mm round, simply due to the lower recoil, and easier follow-up shots. Deep down though, I honestly did not feel comfortable with it as a defense round on the street. So rather than get the Glock 19, I ended up with a Glock 23. I figure with practice and some adjustments to my fundamentals, I'll be just as proficient with the .40 round as the 9mm.

So today I picked up my 23, and fired 250 rounds through it. All hollow point 165gr and 180gr duty ammo I had collected over the years from the gun I carry now (H&K 40 USP). The first 20 rounds were terrible! So I tried the medium backstrap... better. Then the large... much better. Even with the large backstrap, I have to make a small adjustment to my grip to get a better trigger pull, otherwise I'm not pulling straight back. I was just gripping the gun too hard.

No FTF/FTE in all 250 rounds. One spent casing did eject and hit me square in the forehead, giving me a nice cut. :laugh:

The only issue I'm having is anticipation. This is something I had problems with firing my H&K. Around 8% of my shots were low and left, and I found myself anticipating a few times prior to the shot. I think I'm so worried about getting that follow up shot, I'm throwing the first one. My last grouping from seven yards was not too bad, with four shots that I anticipated on.

So, overall, I'm very happy with my purchase. I'm going to keep working on my fundamentals, so I can iron out some deficiencies. Keep in mind, I've only shot maybe 2000 rounds total over the span of three+ years, and only today's 250 through my Glock 23. With some coaching, I fully believe I can get very tight groups with this weapon.

godsmack
04-19-11, 18:45
One thing that will help and doesnt cost anything is to get a lot of dry fire practice, safely of course.

Congrats on your new pistol.

NoBody
04-19-11, 20:22
The only issue I'm having is anticipation. This is something I had problems with firing my H&K. Around 8% of my shots were low and left, and I found myself anticipating a few times prior to the shot. I think I'm so worried about getting that follow up shot, I'm throwing the first one. My last grouping from seven yards was not too bad, with four shots that I anticipated on.

Have a shooting partner to randomly chamber/not chamber a round when your on the range. You'll know exactly when you're anticipating. You'll need to keep you back to him while he loads you and also turn off electronic ear pro (if applicable...no cheating).

deeHKman
04-19-11, 20:34
Very good idea, LAV recommends 1/3 time shooting and 2/3 time dry-firing. I good compromise of shooting and dry firing.
Be careful i just read on another forum where a guy shot himself with a XD dry firing ND by far, i know most thought glock but not. The bullet went thru his leg and he posted pics on the thread from his Hosp. room. Very lucky to be alive, d

One thing that will help and doesnt cost anything is to get a lot of dry fire practice, safely of course.

Congrats on your new pistol.

MCS
04-19-11, 20:37
Congrats on the glock. You will enjoy that g23, I love me 27 and 22!

streck
04-19-11, 20:45
Be careful i just read on another forum where a guy shot himself with a XD dry firing ND by far, i know most thought glock but not.

Being a dumbass and finger ****ing the trigger while loaded has nothing to do with the gun. Apparently he wasn't actually dry firing.....

FlyChicaga
04-20-11, 01:46
Thanks for the tips. I'm thinking of getting a dozen or so snap caps, and having someone load them into a magazine with three live rounds. That means in my 13 round magazine, ten rounds will be snaps, and three will fire. Hopefully that will help correct the anticipation.

I saw that thread on the XD forum when looking for some XDM information. That was pretty crazy.

skatz11
04-20-11, 09:11
Adding dummy rounds to your range sessions will help big time. Don't waste your money on snap caps, get a bag of plastic Saf-T Trainer rounds. They are yellow or orange and come in a bag with enough that you can loose a few without feeling bad.