PDA

View Full Version : Glock RTF2 Fish Gills vs. Straight

caddishatch
04-19-11, 20:49
I am interested in getting a RTF2 Glock. I was just curious what people prefer. Gills or No Gills?

FFK
04-19-11, 21:49
I think most prefer the straight. I actually prefer the gills because they don't tend to cut the web of my hand as badly.

seb5
04-19-11, 22:12
I like the looks of the gills but my RTF is straight. Function over form in this case for me.

LetUsTry
04-19-11, 22:19
pretty sure for the RTFII the 17/22/31 are all gilled, the 19/23/32 are not.

so the size of firearm you want will dictate whether or not it has the gills.

caddishatch
04-19-11, 22:27
Is that true? 17s and 22s have gills and 19s and 23s are straight.

FFK
04-19-11, 22:29
No. My off duty gun is a G23 with gills.

JonInWA
04-19-11, 22:34
Glock did a mid-production change with the RTF2 slides; originally, I believe all were produced with the gills, but since the compact platforms were availed the RTF2 option later, there were far fewer of them produced with the gills before the switchback to the straight slide grooves.

There were also more LEO orders for the standard frame RTF2 guns than the compacts.

Best, Jon

rdbse
04-19-11, 22:41
I got a great deal on my G17 with gills, could not pass on the price. At first I did not care for the look, but it has slowly become my favorite handgun.

operator81
04-20-11, 01:59
My G19 and G22 RTF2 both have gills. I feel I get a better purchase on the slide with the straight serrations, I don't really care for the look of the gills either, but they're what I have so I make it work.

High Altitude
04-20-11, 02:17
I have a 19 RTF2 with gills, one of my favorite Glocks, its a keeper.

skyugo
04-20-11, 03:27
i don't think it really fits the squared off look of the rest of the slide. kinda glad they dropped it.

ActiveShooter
04-20-11, 05:43
I like the gills myself as well. I find that they grip better for me specifically with gloves or when my hands are sweaty.

Gringo
04-20-11, 07:15
I bought a G17 RTF2 about a month ago for my wife's USPSA gun. Like someone else mentioned, the deal was just too good to pass up, and she prefers the gills over the straight cuts on my older G22.

The RTF2, though, she didn't like so much. About a week ago, she came home from work and told me that she wanted her G17 stippled like mine. I've spoiled her, apparently.

jmlshooter
04-20-11, 09:36
I'm with ActiveShooter.

Try racking the slide when it's 105 degrees and you don't have a dry place left on you.

Get the gills.

C4IGrant
04-20-11, 09:45
I hate the look of the "gills" so straight for me.

C4

bleaman225
04-20-11, 10:08
If possible, I would suggest trying to get ahold of both and seeing what feels best to you. Although, I truly don't see that it would make much of a difference other than aesthetically. For what it's worth I think the fish gill cuts are hideous but despite that I still bought a G23 when they first came out. I can not tell any notable difference functionally between my standard gen3 19 vertical cuts and the rtf G23 fish gills.

While on the topic, I believe the story as I remember hearing it went like this (I can't recall where I had read this so take it as you wish)...

The original rough texture frame Glocks were simply called RTF and they had the fish gills. People didn't like the looks of the gills. As had been mentioned above, there was a mid production change and that is when the RTF2 originated, primary difference is the RTF2 reverted back to the straight cuts. Now that time has gone past, both styles are intermingling with one another and all models seem to be called RTF2 now. I know it is most likely for sake of convenience but I don't believe that "RTF2" is an appropriate, all-encompassing term for every rough textured frame model. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Irish
04-20-11, 11:38
I'm not trying to be a jerk but do you have either one available to you? They are in limited supply and if you can't get either one it's kind of a moot question.

OldGreg
04-20-11, 11:39
When i bought mine (new) last month i didn't have a choice, so my 19 has regular serrations. I wish it had gills.. i love the look.

ST911
04-20-11, 11:53
Regular serrations only for me. I find that they are easier to grip.

Looks are not a consideration.

JHC
04-20-11, 11:58
I like the gills myself as well. I find that they grip better for me specifically with gloves or when my hands are sweaty.

My RTF2 G17 purchased in Jan this year is gilled. There are RTF2 17s aplenty around here lately.

I agree with ActiveShooter. I believe the gills put more surface area in contact with your grippers.

Appearance wise on a Glock? I only wish my Glocks were even uglier.

DocGKR
04-20-11, 12:33
I despise the gills and do not find they work as well, especially with gloves on.

Guns-up.50
04-20-11, 12:40
I have a g17 with gills, it functions well wet or dry. I have had two other glocks with straight also functions good wet or dry. I kinda like the gills just because they are a little different. I guess i dont really notice a difference between staight or gilled other than looks. you cant really go wrong with either IMO.

samuse
04-20-11, 12:41
I think the gills are ugly, but I have 2 17s with gills and 2 19s that are straight..

I can't really tell any difference when I rack the slide.

I love the RTF2 grip and carry a 19RTF2 every day. All my t-shirts are fuzzy where the gun rides against it.

chuckman
04-20-11, 12:54
I had a 19 with straight serrations, and a now have a 19 with the 'gills.' I cannot tell a whit's difference between them, wet hands or dry, gloved hands or not. I don't care about the 'gills' one way or the other; the rough-textured frame, I dig.

caddishatch
04-20-11, 20:55
Thanks Guys- There is a shop here in town that I can get a new RTF 17 with gills for $450. Does everybody like the grip on this gun or is it too much?

556A2
04-20-11, 21:45
I like the gills better than the standard serrations.

flieger67
04-20-11, 22:03
I really like the gills and the RTF2. The extra "purchase" of the texture is worth it to me. Yes, the grip grabs shirts when CCW-ing it but I can live with that. And I really like the look of the gills. I do have a straight 3rd gen Glock 34 and from shooting both of them, I don't know if the gills are physical advantages - they don't seem to be in my humble experience.

For what it's worth, I got to talk with Dave Sevigny and a Glock rep about a year ago. I asked them about the gills and they felt that the gills were a failed experiment in so many words. Dave said that he felt it might have made more sense to have the gills facing forward instead of toward the rear. His personal 17 had straight serrations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

poirierpro
04-20-11, 23:09
i don't think it really fits the squared off look of the rest of the slide. kinda glad they dropped it.

I hate the look of the "gills" so straight for me.

C4

Regular serrations only for me. I find that they are easier to grip.

Looks are not a consideration.

I despise the gills and do not find they work as well, especially with gloves on.

I'm with these guys :)

TiroFijo
04-21-11, 12:20
to me, the straight glock serrations are as good as they come and I really hate the looks of the gills...

Guns-up.50
04-21-11, 13:00
Thanks Guys- There is a shop here in town that I can get a new RTF 17 with gills for $450. Does everybody like the grip on this gun or is it too much?

The grip is the main reason for me getting my 17 rtf2. i love the gun i was told if the grip is too much light sanding will help.(not needed) Thats not for me though, if you dont plan on doing a grip reduction the rtf2 is the way to go imo. Get it soon though, it might not be there for long with the way they are selling. 450 is a good price is it new?

Irish
04-21-11, 13:01
450 is a good price is it new?

Read what you quoted again.

Guns-up.50
04-21-11, 20:49
Read what you quoted again.

aaaahhhh Marine moment. Thanks for the wake up slap!

boganz45
04-21-11, 21:14
I'm with these guys :)

Same here.

varoadking
04-22-11, 20:27
I actually prefer the gills because they don't tend to cut the web of my hand as badly.

Seriously?

pennzoil
04-22-11, 21:24
I think most prefer the straight. I actually prefer the gills because they don't tend to cut the web of my hand as badly.

I agree. The gills don't extend down to the bottom of the slide so the serrations don't pinch the fat of your hand if you get slide bite. Instead the slide is just smooth against your hand so a little less bite.

http://img41.imageshack.us/img41/9340/img2601o.jpg

I hate the look of the gills but in all honestly after using them for awhile I think they work better for me then straight. The cut in the gills is undercut and seems to grab my fingers. The gills do better for me in the rain compared to the straight. Personal preference I guess.

FFK
04-23-11, 13:50
varoadking, I am not exactly sure how your response was intended but yes, I am serious.

And I haven't noticed a functional difference between the gills and the straight. As far as looks, we are talking about a Glock. I have a yard rake with more visual appeal so who gives a shit?