PDA

View Full Version : Staked front sight recommendations

brushy bill
04-19-11, 21:22
Anyone have recommendations for a replacement front sight (staked) to replace the miniscule GI sights on a 1911 WITHOUT having to dovetail the front? Probably team with a King Tappan rear or some other retro type rear.

Dave Berryhill
04-19-11, 21:32
Brownells has a few in their catalog.

Staking a large (.125 wide) front sight with a narrow GI tenon will often result in a loose or missing front sight. The mass of modern front sights is much greater than that of the tiny GI front sights and it's much harder to keep them attached to the slide with the small tenon. Colt went to the large tenon front sight for that reason.

Unless you already have a Kings rear sight, you may have a hard time finding one.

mlin
04-19-11, 22:03
MGW make both wide and narrow tenon stack on sight. This might be what you are looking for. Just make sure what size tenon is on your slide. Also Fusion make 3 types: wide, narrow, and medium. The medium one is design for Springfield slide specifically.
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/default.aspx?productNumber=330322
http://www.fusionfirearms.com/servlet/the-677/Front-sight-white-dot%2C/Detail

Dunderway
04-19-11, 22:31
Sorry to give you an answer you don't seem to want, but just send it out for a dovetail. I believe the Springfield Custom shop charges $55 for any regular sight and $75 for tritium. This includes the machining, sight, and finish touch up. Fast turn around also.

You will spend more than that on a proper staking tool and obsolete front sight, plus possibly run into some sever headaches along the way if you are not well versed in this procedure (if you had to ask, I assume you are not).

brushy bill
04-22-11, 19:59
Thanks to all for your responses. I appreciate your time.

stcarbine
04-24-11, 08:31
brushy bill - Mind if I ask why you want to stick with the staked front sight over having it dovetailed? Just curious if you want to keep it original or if you prefer not to spend the bills, etc.? If you have the dovetail machined in, there are dozens upon dozens of different sights to choose from. Just a thought...