PDA

View Full Version : MOE Pistol Grip Install Tips?

Jellybean
04-20-11, 11:36
Yes, it's stupid question day again.:)
Hate to do this but....
I'm working on installing the MOE grip I got, and before I jump in would like to know if there is anything specific I should do, aside from just follow the instructions in the bag...?
I did a google search, and the only thing I got from that was to use the screw that comes with the grip/heat the locktite.
Should I put the lock washer on the new screw or will the locktite be good enough?
Seperate upper/lower, or does it not matter?

If this is already covered elsewhere, a link will be fine too.

jonconsiglio
04-20-11, 12:38
I put the lock washer on all my grip screws, I guess out of habit. I can't remember if my MOE's came with them or not, but they all have it.

Nothing special to it at all, just screw it in tight.

Kilo 1-1
04-20-11, 12:51
Magpul states not to use the washer on their MOE grips. Just use the given screw and put it on.

Jellybean
04-20-11, 12:52
Never mind...typed to slow.

jonconsiglio
04-20-11, 13:09
Really? I guess I just always used them with the washer. I've been using MIADs until this past year and when I changed one I noticed it didn't have a washer, so I threw one on that I had laying around.

That's interesting and I wonder what the reason is..

Skang
04-20-11, 13:48
I hated flat head screw, so I replaced with hex head SS screw.:cool:

Quentin
04-20-11, 13:57
I did read the instructions but used my original screw and washer. Same length so why not - to avoid messing with the loctite.

I know I'm going to get struck down by lightning from on high next time at the range... :eek:

browneu
04-20-11, 15:29
The other sight has a thread where the Magpul grip broke off at the screw. The person used the original screw with the washer instead of the screw that came with the grip.

I don't know if using the wrong screw caused it but its food for thought.

Quiet-Matt
04-20-11, 15:38

Good luck finding a long hex wrench in a pinch.

Jellybean
04-20-11, 15:43
They're not the same length screw- at least for my rifle...

Attempted an install. I think I may have a misaligned hole in the grip. Yay.:rolleyes:
After consulting my extensive library of pictures I've collected for reference, it doesn't seem right- hole in grip doesn't line up completely with hole in lower. Where it does line up, the grip no longer fits flush against the trigger guard. Not just a fraction of space either- I can see daylight on the other side.
Guess I'll be giving Magpul a call...

benw315
04-20-11, 15:52
If I remember correctly, it took me quite a while to get the screw to allign with the lower so that may be normal, although I only have installed 1 MOE grip. What would be the reason for heating up the locktite?

C4IGrant
04-20-11, 16:17
The screw that comes with the MOE Grips has loctite on it. Too much actually. So you will want to remove that FIRST.

So take the screw and with either a lighter or butane torch, heat the blue loctite up. Then using a wire brush or steel wool remove at least half of it. Make sure to NOT touch the screw with yoru bare hand (plyers work well).

Install the grip and screw.

C4

Jellybean
04-20-11, 17:07
Yeah, I thought it was just me at first, but after comparing it against the standard grip, it's definately not right. Aside from the screw holes not lining up, the hole for the spring for the safety detent also becomes misaligned if I move the grip to make the screw line up.

Mark/MO
04-20-11, 19:48
The screw that comes with the MOE Grips has loctite on it. Too much actually. So you will want to remove that FIRST.

So take the screw and with either a lighter or butane torch, heat the blue loctite up. Then using a wire brush or steel wool remove at least half of it. C4

I second that. Nearly tore something up trying to put my first one on.

I'll try the heat next time. I ended up doing mine a bit different. After finding the proper size I ran my screw through a die I had. Found the proper size and carefully turned it in, cutting off most of the loctite without taking any metal. Tried it and it went in great so I added a drop of my loctite and put it on without problem.

SteadyUp
04-20-11, 21:01

So take the screw and with either a lighter or butane torch, heat the blue loctite up. Then using a wire brush or steel wool remove at least half of it. Make sure to NOT touch the screw with yoru bare hand (plyers work well).

Install the grip and screw.

C4

+1 on removing the excess Locktite. The first MOE grip I installed I thought I was going to need a gorilla to turn the screwdriver.

And make sure to use the proper size screwdriver. I know that sounds obvious, but it makes a world of a difference.

ghostman1960
04-20-11, 21:07
The other sight has a thread where the Magpul grip broke off at the screw. The person used the original screw with the washer instead of the screw that came with the grip.

I don't know if using the wrong screw caused it but its food for thought.

No he used the screw that came with the MIAD with no washer. It had a pictures and everything. ;)

Icculus
04-20-11, 21:10
+1 on removing the excess Locktite. The first MOE grip I installed I thought I was going to need a gorilla to turn the screwdriver.

And make sure to use the proper size screwdriver. I know that sounds obvious, but it makes a world of a difference.

Amen. On my first one I just kept thinking there is no way I'm this weak. After removing the loctite and then applying some fresh it went in like butter.

Thread drift: while we're talking about removing loctite; when/if you then later remove the grip how would you remove the old that may be stuck in the threads in the receiver? And would it even be necessary before re-installation?

GTifosi
04-20-11, 21:14
Thread drift: while we're talking about removing loctite; when/if you then later remove the grip how would you remove the old that may be stuck in the threads in the receiver?
Chase it with a proper tap, or if that's completely unavailable, a bolt of proper thread pitch can be cut lengthwise along its threads for 3/8"~1/2" or so in 3~4 locations with a hacksaw which will give someplace for the displaced goo to go. (if no die is available to chase it post sawing, at least use a nut to run down the threads and take the burrs off)

And would it even be necessary before re-installation?
Would you put new glue right over top of old glue in the hope that it would hold?

Icculus
04-20-11, 21:31
Good tips, thanks. I really need to pick up some dies and taps, still trying to build out decent tools now that I actually have room to store them.

Now back to your regularly scheduled programming

M90A1
04-20-11, 21:46

I hated the straight slot screw, so I used a hex head. Got tired of not having a t-handle hex wrench just when I needed one, so finally changed to a phillips head screw. Much better purchase on the screw and chances are, if you can find a straight slot screwdriver, you can find a phillips. The phillips also ended the aggravating tendency for the screwdriver to slip from the screw head when tightening. Win-win for me. YMMV

Quiet-Matt
04-21-11, 04:58
The trick with slotted screws is having the correct sizd screwdriver. A bigger flat head screwdriver will end the frustration. Get one that fits the slot snug enough that it will stay on the screwdriver. That will prevent slipping from the slot and aids in screw insertion because you can simply insert the screw down the grip instead of fumbling with it. The right tools make all the difference.

sdacbob
04-21-11, 07:45
Don't forget about the selector retaining spring and plunger! Ease the old grip off keeping the lower receiver upside down. Do a trial fit with the new MOE grip as it may be a little tight then insert the spring in the hole in the MOE grip and install away. Test your selector switch to insure its proper function and have fun.

ghostman1960
04-21-11, 08:03
I have installed a few MIAD and MOE grips and have never used the gawd awful screws that Magpul provides. So far nothing has fallen off or broken or even exploded. I'm sure I will burn in hell though.

JMatthews
04-21-11, 09:18
I've installed around a dozen of these in the last couple of months. I usually use a hex screw if the rifle/carbine came with one.

As a general rule I avoid loctite. I've never had one come undone so long as it is properly torqued or seen anyone else have an issue either. Loctite just carries a degree of permanence with it... not bad if you use the right kind, but a quirk of mine nonetheless.

The hex is very easy to control and manipulate. Just make sure the screws are the correct length to avoid having too little thread contact.