PDA

View Full Version : Which way to go?

JWR075
04-20-11, 14:22
1st, should I get pump or semi? 2nd, 12ga. or 20ga? 3rd Remington, Mossberg or other?

I will be using it when I am working in the woods (clearing the underbrush out). I have been seeing a few snakes (mostly black, but have seen 3 copperheads so far). I am wanting an 18” bbl, but also the ability to switch to a longer one for hunting (dove and quail) season. All ideas, opinions and suggestions welcome.

Reagans Rascals
04-20-11, 14:30
You can pick up a new Mossberg 590, 12 gauge, 8+1 capacity, for right around $400... thats probably the highest contender in my book.. I guess it all depends on what you are looking to spend...

ucrt
04-20-11, 15:11
1st, should I get pump or semi? 2nd, 12ga. or 20ga? 3rd Remington, Mossberg or other?

I will be using it when I am working in the woods (clearing the underbrush out). I have been seeing a few snakes (mostly black, but have seen 3 copperheads so far). I am wanting an 18” bbl, but also the ability to switch to a longer one for hunting (dove and quail) season. All ideas, opinions and suggestions welcome.

========================================

I like pumps. Cycles the lightest load to the heaviest.
I like 12 gauge. You can shoot light or field loads if you need 20-gauge size loads or heavy magnums if you need more. 20's can't shoot up if you need them to.
I like Remington 870's. Prefer the Wingmaster's over the Express. Tons of accessories, used barrels, stocks, etc.

For a poor little ol' snake, buy a shovel ;) or a .22 revolver with rat shot.

But maybe it's just me.

ZRH
04-20-11, 15:54
No one can tell you if you need a pump or semi except for yourself.

12 gauge is all purpose and very cheap to practice. With reduced recoil loads I don't see much reason to go with a 20.

JWR075
04-20-11, 16:59
As for use on the snakes, let’s just say I found out the hard way about copperheads a few years back. So I prefer to keep some distance between me and them. I understand using the pistol, but I also want a shotgun that can perform double duty, when my brother comes down for quail and dove season.

I have a few shotguns, but non are really practical for the field (http://www.cz-usa.com/products/view/wingshooter/ ) and a (http://www.cz-usa.com/products/view/cz-sporting/ ). So I was trying to find something that I could use without having to worry about messing it up (cosmetically) and still be reliable out in the field hunting.

As for the cost, I reload a lot of shotshells (have roughly 200 hulls for 12ga and 300 for the 20ga). Also I am not worried about the recoil, but I do find that after several hours of heavy dove hunting, that a 20ga starts to show its benefits.

I think it will be a pump, because fewer things to break, mess up, or lose when taking it apart. Anybody know much about the Weatherby PA-459 TP, seems like decent gun, but I am unsure if I can get another barrel, and hunting stock for it.

ZRH
04-20-11, 19:52
Never seen one of those before o.O Can't really comment.

If you want something different from the standard 870/1300/590 there are also Ithaca 37s and Benelli Novas around the same price point. Don't know much about the quality of newer Ithaca guns but the lack of trigger disconnect is funnn >.>

I've never been hunting though -.-

blkexp98
04-21-11, 08:51
Id get a pump 12ga. remington 870. I like the pump for reliability and ease of changing ammo without dealing with the magazine tube. 12 ga simply because of ammo cost and avaliability. The Remington 870 because of the heavier reciever, the safety location and how the magazine tube has a cap. On a mossberg 500 for example its fixed but with the 590 you can use an extension. I just think the 870 is a more versitle shotgun. I have a mossberg 500 and a 590. While they havent really had any issues i wish they were 870's for the above reasons. In handling and using an 870 i just think its a better made weapon. I havent had that many great experiences with semi auto shotguns to really rely on them for any form of protection after the first shot.

One shotgun ive always found interesting but i dont know much about it or if they even make it anymore was Benelli's M3. With that you had pump or semi.

I have a HK/fabarm tactical shotgun and the last time i shot it i had a jam that left the unfired shell pinned in the ejection port pointing at my hand and the bolt stopped by the extractor ON the primer. So i havent felt a need to venture there again. That wasnt the first issue i had with it either but im sure it could somewhat be blamed on ammo choices. If i had found something it really liked it may have been ok but i havent messed with it since.

skatz11
04-21-11, 09:18
I prefer the mossberg safety location. I just ordered a 20" 590 A1.

For your needs I've seem a combo that comes with an 18.5" barrel for HD and a longer field barrel for a reasonable price. I'd get the mossberg or remington based on which you like more. It really comes down to personal preference.

Todd.K
04-21-11, 10:42
I prefer a 20ga semi for the quail hunting I do. Most of the answers you get here will be based on personal preference with a heavy emphasis on duty/home defence use.

Spare barrels are generally cheaper for a pump so that is one thing to look at with your budget before you get the gun.

One thing to think about is that shorter barrels pattern just fine with a choke. I have hunted quail with an 18"-20" 12ga and done as well as my friends who have a more traditional hunting length shotgun.

Glock17JHP
04-22-11, 13:16
There are a few shotgun combos out there... they have both a short and long barrel.
I would get one of them in 12 gauge.

blkexp98
04-22-11, 13:33
skatz11 brings up a good point that i didn't elaborate on. If you never plan on using a pistol grip style stock the mossberg safety is in a good location. I have a Hogue stock on my 500 and it feels great but i have a Choate pistol gripped stock with a fixed stock on the 590. With the Choate stock and the pistol grip the safety just isn't in a good location. If you dont plan on using one though the mossberg safety works good. My 18.5" mossberg with the hogue stock is pretty handy feeling and i wouldnt mind giving up the pistol gripped fixed stock on the other shotgun for another one. I feel that the buttpad on the hogue is superior to that of the choate but the pistol grip helps with recoil I think.

One thing i didnt like that i bought was a side saddle. Ill have to check the brand but it threw off the rotational balance of the shotgun and i didnt like it. I went with a heat shield on my 18.5" one and think that was a great move. The sides of it stuck out where you move the pump so i bent them in a little so it fits with your hand better. The mossberg is easy to swap barrels on and i think the 870 would be no different.

bmyk
04-23-11, 14:03
My vote:
Get a Remington 870 in 12ga.
I shot a lot of Mossberg 500s in the Navy and they always seemed less than robust ... rattled apart when compared to an 870. I have a police Wingmaster that is over 50 years old, it has been loaded so many times the chrome on the loading gate is worn through....and it still locks up like a bank vault.
Wingmaster, Police, Express....they are all good, just get what the budget and CINCHOUSE will allow.
That being said, IF all I had was a M500, I would not be too upset. I also don't think the average Joe would ever be able to wear on out.
As far as 12ga, it is all a matter of technique and a stock that fits to manage recoil. With the 12ga, you have a near infinite number of choices in shot and manufacturers to choose from.

I would do a little research on what to look for in a used before going that route. JD from AIP Tactical has a wealth of information on his site also if you have any questions.

Enjoy