PDA

View Full Version : German two-tone P220......sometimes you can have nice things

KhanRad
04-20-11, 18:08
I found this German P220 .45acp two-tone at a gun show. It is immaculate and looks like the owner probably put less than 500rds through it, and the Trijicons had a born date of 2002. I swapped those out for some Heinies, and I plan to get some range time with it ASAP. I always loved the German made guns, and this is definately a worthy example. The plating on these older guns seems more smooth, and shinny compared the latest generation Sig Sauer plating. I plan to carry it on duty if it proves to be as reliable as my P228.
http://i1229.photobucket.com/albums/ee465/scott19761442/IMG_2042.jpg
http://i1229.photobucket.com/albums/ee465/scott19761442/IMG_2043.jpg
http://i1229.photobucket.com/albums/ee465/scott19761442/IMG_2044.jpg

Timbonez
04-20-11, 18:30
That is a nice looking SIG. I like the contrasting controls on the frame too.

Cincinnatus
04-20-11, 18:50
Great find. How do the frame rails look? Any visible wear on the anodizing?

loupav
04-20-11, 20:28
That is a fine weapon there sir! I myself have a P226 that looks just like that. I feel in love with it the moment I saw it in the display case. Since I was too young to buy a handgun then, my dad bought it for me, I keep it now as a reminder of what he would have done for me.

SoulStealer
04-20-11, 23:14
Shes a beauty.

I'm not a big Sig guy....but Ive always thought the 220s were a sweet lookin pistol

ilsrwy27
04-20-11, 23:43
Extremely nice... Congratulations!

KhanRad
04-21-11, 00:47
Great find. How do the frame rails look? Any visible wear on the anodizing?

Very little. It's practically a new pistol. Came with the original SigArms blue box, manual, and two 7rd magazines.

Rinspeed
04-21-11, 05:35
If you look under the front of the slide there might be a two letter date code. If it's not there your 220 was made in Exeter NH.

KhanRad
04-21-11, 08:17
If you look under the front of the slide there might be a two letter date code. If it's not there your 220 was made in Exeter NH.

It does not have the code. However, from my understanding Sig USA never had the tooling to produce the stamped slide variants and relied on Sig Germany to make those parts. The stamped slide models are still made in Germany if you look at the German catalogs, but current Sig USA doesn't import them anymore and favors domestic production of the machined slide models. There was a limited importation run of German P228R pistols not long ago, but regular import of the stamped slide Sigs ended when Cohen took over as CEO.

KhanRad
04-23-11, 22:49
Just an update. I had range training and qualifications today. Put a little over 500 flawless rounds downrange. I've always been an excellent shot with 9mm and .40S&W Sigs, but suprisingly I did better with the P220 even though I wasn't as accustomed to the feel of the grip and trigger. It's very accurate, particularly at the 25-yard line where trigger control is particulary important. When I sighted it in on a previous visit I got 2" groupings at 25-yards. I'm still amazed that someone sold this pistol off with so little ammo through it, and with superb reliability and performance. One man's trash is another man's treasure I guess.

S-1
04-24-11, 00:17
It does not have the code. However, from my understanding Sig USA never had the tooling to produce the stamped slide variants and relied on Sig Germany to make those parts. The stamped slide models are still made in Germany if you look at the German catalogs, but current Sig USA doesn't import them anymore and favors domestic production of the machined slide models. There was a limited importation run of German P228R pistols not long ago, but regular import of the stamped slide Sigs ended when Cohen took over as CEO.

I believe that SIG Germany has stopped producing the stamped slide pistols too. I heard that .mil contracts were the reason for the switch away from the stamped slides to the stainless steel.

BTW.... Very nice pistol.

KhanRad
04-24-11, 08:22
I believe that SIG Germany has stopped producing the stamped slide pistols too. I heard that .mil contracts were the reason for the switch away from the stamped slides to the stainless steel.

BTW.... Very nice pistol.

That makes sense since the old slide and breechblock are considered discontinued parts from the factory now. I have found breechblocks for sale before, but in very limited quantities.

Rinspeed
04-24-11, 10:56
It does not have the code. However, from my understanding Sig USA never had the tooling to produce the stamped slide variants and relied on Sig Germany to make those parts.

That is true but the point I was trying to make is your 220 is not a German made Sig. It was assembled in the states with a mix of parts made here and in Germany. If I had to guess it was made the year after mine was.

theblackknight
04-24-11, 11:28
Shes a beauty.

I'm not a big Sig guy....but Ive always thought the 220s were a sweet lookin pistol

Same here. I wouldnt mind a SAO 220

KhanRad
04-24-11, 12:36
That is true but the point I was trying to make is your 220 is not a German made Sig. It was assembled in the states with a mix of parts made here and in Germany. If I had to guess it was made the year after mine was.

True, but even the old West German guns were assembled in the US. Importation laws require that a certain percentage of the firearm be made on US soil, so for decades small parts were made in the US and the gun was assembled in the US. The primary difference is that the old SigArms import arragement had a lot more parts such as the slide, barrel, breechblock, frame,.....etc produced in Germany. Then, those parts were mated with in-house produced parts at SigArms which resulted in a very high level of quality control. As a buyer, I preferred this old business model which gives me a better product in my opinion.

Evil Colt 6920
04-24-11, 13:46
Nice find. The gunshows Ive been to lately have been a disappointment. If I manage to find something I like, the price is much higher than reasonable.