PDA

View Full Version : Troy BUIS question

C0WB0Y
04-21-11, 23:02
Been lurking for a while and finally pulled the trigger on my first M4 (DDM4V1).

Now that I have it I'm considering going to a flip up rear sight once I add an optic. After searching and reading the wealth of information on M4C it appears the Troy is the most recommended option. My noob question is, why? The other brands mentioned appear to be very similar. What is it about the Troy sight that makes it different?

wahoo95
04-21-11, 23:14
Been lurking for a while and finally pulled the trigger on my first M4 (DDM4V1).

Now that I have it I'm considering going to a flip up rear sight once I add an optic. After searching and reading the wealth of information on M4C it appears the Troy is the most recommended option. My noob question is, why? The other brands mentioned appear to be very similar. What is it about the Troy sight that makes it different?

DPMS's rifles "appear" very similar to Daniel Defense's rifles.....what makes them different? ;)

I have a PRI Rear sight and have been very happy with it in terms of how it compares to the Troy. Troy's can be had for $80-85 on the "barely used" market....something to think of if you're trying to save a few bucks.

C0WB0Y
04-21-11, 23:25
I know the answer was tongue in cheek, but in the case of the rifles mentioned I went with the DD due to the better materials, workmanship, standard built to, balance (at least in my hands) and warranty.

Is the Troy built with better materials and tighter tolerances than the magpul, lmt or larue? Are they known to hold zero over more rounds?

I'm just wondering if it's something quantifiable or simply a preference.

I tend to put a good number of rounds down range (just under 3000 rounds already this year on the pistol range). I will be putting the DDM4 to use (range, class and HD) and prefer to "measure twice <buy> once."

Thanks
SC

wahoo95
04-21-11, 23:40
The Troy sight are made of greta materials to tight standards......much like your DD Rifle.

Any of the sights you listed would be suitable, however the Larue and LMT are fixed sights while the Magpul MBUS is made of polymer so you're not really comparing apples to apples. Do you want a fixed or folding rear sight?

I see you're in Charlotte.....I can meet up with you one day if you wanna check out my PRI Rear sight. It's very similar to the Troy and would give you an idea of what to expect from the Troy. I'll most likely be making a trip out to CR-PC over the next week.

C0WB0Y
04-22-11, 03:20
Thanks Wahoo that is exactly the info I was looking for.

I'm a member at CR-PC as well. I'd love to take you up on that and would be up for a meet but can't get there this weekend with Family in town. Maybe next time you're out my way?

I'll shoot you a PM with my contact info.

ryanschmidt65
06-08-11, 00:09
Troys are built VERY solid. Thats what I love about it. It keeps zero and just WORKS.

Meplat
06-15-11, 11:29
I lean more towards the opinion that you should use fixed irons and a lower third co-witness if you're going to be using a red dot. If you plan on using an ACOG or any other magnified optic, then disregard the former.

That said, I have had two Troy sights bust on me from moderate use over the course of about a year or so. One Troy standard rear sight, and one BCM marked front sight. The front sight in particular busted the quickest, and the rear happened a little while later, although the rear never completely broke, just kept getting weaker. What ended up happening was that the mechanism to close them and also keep them up kept getting looser and weaker and getting more play in it with use until it just stopped working. I read a post from Stickman who said he had the same problem with one of his, so maybe the mechanism itself isn't that solid.

I never liked that they had a little bit of wiggle in them from front to back when up, maybe I'm paranoid, but it just seemed a little flimsy to me. The size and profile of the sight itself is good, though. I also disliked that they lock when in the up position. To me it just seems useless. Any decent amount of force is likely to just snap the mechanism keeping the sight up and render it useless, I'd rather have a sight with a detent that just collapsed on itself and could be raised again, no need for locking mechanisms. But that's just me.

I ended up getting a LaRue fixed BUIS and love it, and the Daniel Defense fixed rear sights are more than worth looking into as well. I got a KAC micro BUIS for a folding sight, and although it's a bit pricey, I felt overall it was a much better sight. I'd probably buy the KAC or Magpul MBUS before I bought a Troy.
Also, I want to make it clear that I'm not bashing or trying to detract from Troy, just relating my experience with them.