PDA

View Full Version : How Stable Are Gooseneck Mounts?

tinfinger
10-02-07, 17:37
I'm considering getting an A1 or A2 style upper but want to use a red dot, holosight, or maybe even a scout scope. The gooseneck mounts seem like they would get battered out of zero somewhat easily, but seem popular. Are they fairly stable?

TIA

rhino
10-02-07, 19:00
If you have a choice, you'll be much happier with a flat top.

To answer your question, it depends on the gooseneck you buy. If you get one of the crappy knockoffs you can find for $20-50 depending on where you get, you'll be displeased with how much it moves, and that's if you can get it tight in the first place.

On the other hand, if you get a BC-CAM and loc-tite the screw/nut, it holds pretty well. The ARMS and GG&G versions are probably pretty good too, but I have no direct experience with them.

Again, go with a flat top if you have a choice.

tinfinger
10-03-07, 17:18
I understand the flattop is better at optics. I guess I'm stuck on the idea that the ultimate BUIS is just the service sights to start with.

What about a scout-type optic on the top of a free float quad rail? Both a gooseneck and free-float rails are cantilevered, but free float rails should be (unless I'm missing something) a heck of alot stiffer due to their cross-section.

Shihan
10-03-07, 17:39
You dont want to mount otics on your FF rail for reasons of holding zero. One thing to remember is that BUIS are what they are "back Ups" and nothing more and that your standard optics should take prescendnce in your optic dicession.

Canonshooter
10-03-07, 18:28
I have to agree - flat tops rule for optics.

That said, in terms of looks/style (for whatever that is worth) I much prefer the A2, the A1 even more. There is something about the classic lines of those rifles that make then a pleasure to behold. Though the flat tops are far more practical and offer greater flexibity, to me they all look like Rube Goldbergs with all of the "stuff" mounted on/hanging off of them.

I plan on keeping my A2 as my strictly iron-sighted KISS rifle and if I feel so inclined, buy a flat top upper to put together my own rendition of a "Rube Goldberg AR."

My New York AWB compliant KISS carbine, which will get a Mapul stock once I move out of NY;

http://www.canonshooter.com/photos2/M4-3.jpg

Bonk2029
10-04-07, 05:19
I bought a PRI gooseneck from Kisara (member here), and with a gob of loctite on the thumb screw it held up very well. I later went over to a FT upper and sold the mount, but no complaints when I had it.

Canonshooter
10-04-07, 06:37
BTW, though they are not cheap, the compact ACOG works well mounted on the carry handle. Compared to some other carry handle optic arrangements, they sit as low as possible while still allowing use of the irons. Old school compared to flat tops, but still effective;

http://www.canonshooter.com/photos2/M4-2.jpg

5pins
10-04-07, 15:09
I have an Aimpoint Gooseneck mount on my Colt A2. It is vary stable, I have not had any issues with it at all. The nut has a rubber O-ring to keep it tight, and a slot so you can use a screwdriver to tighten it down. Since the mount runs through the inside of the carry handle you lose a little field of view. It seems a little “crowded” if you will, but you get use to it. Having a dot co witness with your sights is nice just put the dot on the target and shoot. It’s not as good as a flat top because the view is not a open but if you have a carry handle upper it’s better then mounting something on the top. Unless it’s an ACOG.

nationwide
10-04-07, 15:16
You dont want to mount otics on your FF rail for reasons of holding zero. One thing to remember is that BUIS are what they are "back Ups" and nothing more and that your standard optics should take prescendnce in your optic dicession.

I think the KAC M4 RAS would hold a zero just fine. I passed up buying a set NIW for $199... the dealer called them "Iraq bring backs" I just :rolleyes: and walked. I don't want no stolen US property :(

ETA: I just re-read your post and you said FF. On a FF, you'll have no problem at all holding zero, as long as the FF tube is properly installed.

Shihan
10-04-07, 19:26
I didnt think that mounting on a FF forearm would hold zero unless it was the MRP type? Dosent the FF forearm still have some type of movement?