PDA

View Full Version : Mississippi deals with the Westboro Baptist Church

Rider79
04-22-11, 11:05
http://thehayride.com/2011/04/westboro-baptist-church-goes-to-mississippi-and-loses/

It got real dusty in here when I watched that video. Rest in peace, Marine.

pilotguyo540
04-22-11, 11:09
Well played Mississippi.

Bravo.

Irish
04-22-11, 11:38
What a fantastic show of respect, support and pride in our servicemen fighting overseas for our country! Not gonna lie it got a little misty watching that video. RIP Devil Dog.

SteyrAUG
04-22-11, 11:46
There was a time when most of the nation simply didn't tolerate this kind of thing. Glad to see there are still places in the world where people will step up and do what is most correct.

theblackknight
04-22-11, 13:22
THats what Im talking about!!

But for reals, Its illegal to slash tires, but to unscrew the valve stem, let the air out, then screw back in is just. . .barrowing that air for a while.

I wonder if the "lost truck drivers" where vets?

FromMyColdDeadHand
04-22-11, 17:17
Well played. That's the real world way to deal with them. The idea and concept that our govt and society are based on sometimes don't work and you need these work-arounds to deal with jack-asses who use the system against the system. This only works if a significant, and I mean like 95%+ of the general population agrees with it.

Armati
04-22-11, 18:36
The best part of that story was that it would appear that some boys from Ol' Miss whupped-up on one of the Westboro supporters. This is how shit gets done!

There are more than a few resent vets out there using their new GI Bill.

HES
04-22-11, 23:27
On another board someone brought up that they didn't feel comfortable about the Westboro member being roughed up. Then it was explained to him to look at Westboro as that little shit who antagonizes the day lights out of the other kids and when those kids finally react, they, and not the little shit get in trouble. Well this time it's like the other kids found the little shit in the bathroom and took care of business.

spamsammich
04-22-11, 23:41
On another board someone brought up that they didn't feel comfortable about the Westboro member being roughed up. Then it was explained to him to look at Westboro as that little shit who antagonizes the day lights out of the other kids and when those kids finally react, they, and not the little shit get in trouble. Well this time it's like the other kids found the little shit in the bathroom and took care of business.

Hell yeah. Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

Belmont31R
04-23-11, 00:15
Eh just don't be mad when the liberals use their rights, and do things like print lists of CCW holders in the sunday newspaper.

Thats also just great using the cops to detain them on a bogus crime investigation. Im sure you'd all like it if you got detained for a few hours when some cop detains you for a crime that never occurred because they don't like people going to shooting ranges.

Rider79
04-23-11, 08:37
While their tactics may have been debatable, I actually posted the article more for the video, which I'll be totally honest, moved me to tears.

warpigM-4
04-23-11, 11:53

Eurodriver
04-23-11, 12:10
A Marine is not a soldier.

warpigM-4
04-23-11, 12:18
Eh just don't be mad when the liberals use their rights, and do things like print lists of CCW holders in the sunday newspaper.

Thats also just great using the cops to detain them on a bogus crime investigation. Im sure you'd all like it if you got detained for a few hours when some cop detains you for a crime that never occurred because they don't like people going to shooting ranges.

Sir I have respected you on this site and value your input ,but to me this is Not about Guns.It is about our Men and women in service and the respect they deserve when laid to rest and the respect of the families and friends.

FromMyColdDeadHand
04-23-11, 12:27

I can understand your concern Belmont, but this kind of thing will only go on when you are pissing off a considerable percentage of the population, like close to all of them. It doesn't take many dissenters for something like this to break down and people start to get in trouble.

I see it as an escape valve for the over litigious society.

warpigM-4
04-23-11, 12:34
A Marine is not a soldier.

really :confused:I guess they need to change this
ma·rine
   [muh-reen]
–adjective
serving on shipboard, as soldiers.

Irish
04-23-11, 13:02

I think that's a very valid point. Most people here celebrate the police catching the bad guy who's breaking the law. In this case the police were breaking the law or at the least violating the Westboro's rights under color of authority. Even though they're assholes they are still American citizens with the same rights everyone else is entitled to. I wouldn't be surprised if the PD is sued and loses due to their actions, if in fact that they were arrested or detained.

Also, this has nothing to do with kids antagonizing one another, that's a really bad analogy. These are all adults, by number of years anyway, and teaching your kids that assaulting someone because you don't agree with their sentiments, actions, etc is okay is definitely not the right thing to do and is in fact illegal. If I could knock the shit out of everyone who pissed me off and not go to jail there'd be a few more people walking around with black eyes.

warpigM-4
04-23-11, 13:12
I think that's a very valid point. Most people here celebrate the police catching the bad guy who's breaking the law. In this case the police were breaking the law or at the least violating the Westboro's rights under color of authority. Even though they're assholes they are still American citizens with the same rights everyone else is entitled to. I wouldn't be surprised if the PD is sued and loses due to their actions, if in fact that they were arrested or detained.

Also, this has nothing to do with kids antagonizing one another, that's a really bad analogy. These are all adults, by number of years anyway, and teaching your kids that assaulting someone because you don't agree with their sentiments, actions, etc is okay is definitely not the right thing to do and is in fact illegal. If I could knock the shit out of everyone who pissed me off and not go to jail there'd be a few more people walking around with black eyes.

good point . Although I look at them Like a Hate Group the KKK use to have little gatherings here in Birmingham to preach their hate ,yes They have that right ,But when the bham police started giving them a rough time searching cars for drugs and weapons .which in a lot of cases they found. the KKK just fell off the map and there has been no Gatherings in over 10 years now.

M4arc
04-23-11, 13:17
I don't know what some of you are getting spun up about.

There was an assault and the Police investigated. Sounds like they did what they were supposed to do.

As for detaining the members...it sounds like there was a crime and the Police were questioning their involvement. Pretty routine stuff.

Sounds like they were just doing their job.

warpigM-4
04-23-11, 13:31

There was an assault and the Police investigated. Sounds like they did what they were supposed to do.

As for detaining the members...it sounds like there was a crime and the Police were questioning their involvement. Pretty routine stuff.

:thank_you2: thats what I thought of it too

theblackknight
04-23-11, 19:26
really :confused:I guess they need to change this
ma·rine
   [muh-reen]
–adjective
serving on shipboard, as soldiers.

Might be off topic, but I commented in an other forum on this very issue.

Soldiers of the Sea anyone?

I'm just sick of the uppiddy marine attitude. I watched SAGMAJ Kent give a speech 2 days ago, and He opened, had a middle part, and closed with Army bashing. Why?? Why do we feel the need to constantly 1 up and distance our self from the Army?Maybe because we arnt as different as the machine leads us to think. Usually, unsolicited boasting is a clear indicator that the opposite of said boasting is true. If someone just blerts out about how they are a weapons expert without provocation, you can be safe this is probably not true.

If we were truly the best(which we are), we wouldnt have to brag or mention it. People will get it. If a 5 year old sees you come home from work in your cammies(I live a ways from base) and says"Look mommy, a soldier man" and you get all butthurt in your head about it, your a special kind of asshole, and prob arnt as shit hot as you think you are. A little humility goes along way.

Suwannee Tim
04-23-11, 20:15
There is a saying, "hard cases make bad law" and so it is with the Westboro Baptist Church. These Mississippi boys make me proud to be a Southerner. God rest this Marine and God bless his family. In the early '80s the Ku Klux Klan came to my town. There were about 2 dozen of them and about 2 thousand of us. The police cordon separating us from them mysteriously collapsed and the Klan, seeing their protection gone fled into the Police Memorial Building with us in hot pursuit. We couldn't catch them 'cause they ran so fast. They never came back.

Belmont31R
04-23-11, 20:38
Sir I have respected you on this site and value your input ,but to me this is Not about Guns.It is about our Men and women in service and the respect they deserve when laid to rest and the respect of the families and friends.

No its the same. When the gestapo is on your side its all cool but when they come after you its tyranny.

You don't have the right to not be offended.

Belmont31R
04-23-11, 20:41

Pretty much. The WBC just won a lawsuit in SCOTUS. For the LEO in this area to do this they are inviting themselves to some serious legal action.

Equality under the law is a founding principle to this nation. To throw it out because you don't agree with it is no different than liberals attacking us over guns because they don't like gun ownership...or busting up Tea Party protests in liberal cities. What comes around goes around.

Belmont31R
04-23-11, 20:42

There was an shooting and the Police investigated. Sounds like they did what they were supposed to do.

As for detaining the gun club members...it sounds like there was a crime and the Police were questioning their involvement. Pretty routine stuff.

Sounds pretty cool now huh? (fixed ^)

Suwannee Tim
04-23-11, 20:45
The police have no affirmative duty to protect any person.

Belmont31R
04-23-11, 20:58
it moved me to tears to see the support of the town standing on the road in respect of a fallen Soldier and i think the Police stood up to something they believed is wrong .By the books no this wasn't right but in this case i stand behind their decision.
EDIT
Well I just called the Brandon Police Dept and tried to speak to the Chief.
He will not be back until Monday ,But the Officer i talked to Told me the whole day was set in honor of the SGT and that they have many Members of the town overseas and did not want his Family to have to put up with this disrespect in their time of mourning .

I thanked them for standing up to Westboro Church members and it choked the Lady up a little and thanked me for calling and said she would forward the Message to the Chief First thing Monday Morning .If any of you would like to call and thank them for their Action on shutting Down these scumbags the Number is 1-601-825-7225

Did you ask them if they got all the Juden and gays, too? Can't let no jews and faggots disrupt the community either can we?

Honu
04-23-11, 21:15
Stopping those people vs stopping people going to a range is a huge leap though ?

A group coming down to protest something and total members in the US are what 100 or less vs people that go to a range ? Millions

The fact they do spread problems
If a bunch of KKK members got stopped and questioned on the way to a MLK rally I have no issues ?
Same as panthers or militia going to disrupt something ?
And there was a earlier crime with the group involved ? Thats leggit

Fringe group going to cause problems is a lot different than people going to a range

Its a one time thing ?

I do hear you thouh has some merrit but again I think its a huge stretch
Its a fine line for sure ?
Kinda like a robbery just happened or a drive buy happened and the cops see known rival gang members who said they were going to get even drive past 10 seconds later ? Should they pull them over knowing what they know :)

FromMyColdDeadHand
04-23-11, 21:19
;)

Our Constitution and Laws are not a suicide pact. Like I said before, there is even a small bit of support for the agitators, things like this won't work because someone will break.

Please, please, don't call the police chief and tell him thank you. All it takes is one BWP member to call in and present their praise for the action, and if the person on the other end of the line does anything but utterly denounce the idea that they had anything to do with anything - that tape will end up hanging them all.

Nothing happened, so there is no reason to call them. See?

ZRH
04-23-11, 21:21
Equality under the law is a founding principle to this nation. To throw it out because you don't agree with it is no different than liberals attacking us over guns because they don't like gun ownership...or busting up Tea Party protests in liberal cities. What comes around goes around.
That's why we have Executive privilege...

There is a freedom of expression. There isn't a freedom from the consequences. If the locals turn on you, and the sheriff/police supports them, who are you going to appeal to? Do you think the national guard is going to get deployed to help your cause... of protesting a military funeral?

Belmont31R
04-23-11, 21:26
Stopping those people vs stopping people going to a range is a huge leap though ?

A group coming down to protest something and total members in the US are what 100 or less vs people that go to a range ? Millions

The fact they do spread problems
If a bunch of KKK members got stopped and questioned on the way to a MLK rally I have no issues ?
Same as panthers or militia going to disrupt something ?
And there was a earlier crime with the group involved ? Thats leggit

Fringe group going to cause problems is a lot different than people going to a range

Its a one time thing ?

I do hear you thouh has some merrit but again I think its a huge stretch
Its a fine line for sure ?
Kinda like a robbery just happened or a drive buy happened and the cops see known rival gang members who said they were going to get even drive past 10 seconds later ? Should they pull them over knowing what they know :)

No its not any different. When you boil things down its about people excercising their rights. If you want to deny that on some bogus accusation, and get the hand of the law (LEO) involved to do it for you then you're basically state sponsering denial of rights. The WBC already went in front of SCOTUS and won.

It would be not different than Daley in CHI ignoring our gun rights case law to keep his gun bans in place, and detaining people who have NICS checks for gun purchases who live in CHI their rights as SCOTUS has recognized.

Just because the gestapo fell on your side of the argument this time doesn't mean they will the next time. Its best to just avoid the gestapo forever by having equality under the law and blind justice. If you want to start playing poker with "right vs. wrong" based on mere opinion don't complain when it bites you...lots of people have been bitten....ended up in gas chambers, thrown in jail, families murdered by the state...ect. That whole playing with fire thing you know. Sometimes it keeps you warm and cooks your food. Other times it burns and kills you.

Belmont31R
04-23-11, 21:32
That's why we have Executive privilege...

There is a freedom of expression. There isn't a freedom from the consequences. If the locals turn on you, and the sheriff/police supports them, who are you going to appeal to? Do you think the national guard is going to get deployed to help your cause... of protesting a military funeral?

WBC already won their case in front of SCOTUS. There is no higher court. For the local LEO to deny them their rights is flipping the bird to the highest court in the land.

Theres nothing they can do about it at the time. They will just file a lawsuit, and based on precedent will win. Some local judge might rule against them but once you get above local judges they are not stupid enough to go against SCOTUS case law.

This Sheriff will pay for his protection of the funeral with at least a couple hundred thousand in payment. If they can afford that then thats up to them. It will just give WBC more money to protest more funerals.

FromMyColdDeadHand
04-23-11, 21:40
I'll stick by my two favorites.

Narcopleptic snow plow driver with a sharp blade or cracked heat exchangers in their hotels rooms. Happens to good people too.

Honu
04-23-11, 21:57
Their winning had nothing to do with whats going on ?
They have the right to say what they want yes but not location or time ! if the people are beating em at their game of stopping them from getting where they want oh well free speech is not guaranteed to be at a certain time in a certain place bummer for them they work the system now ohers will also

The fact their was a crime the police have the right to question those involvede

The police did not stop them from free speech !

Your free speech is not guaranteed to time or place !

If you get pulled over on the way to some place you are going to protest and they find out you were involved with another crime earlier and keep you that did not violate your free speech rights

Same thing if they pulled you over gave you a ticket cause you were speeding and you missed your protest that is not the fault of the police ?

warpigM-4
04-23-11, 22:17
Our Constitution and Laws are not a suicide pact. Like I said before, there is even a small bit of support for the agitators, things like this won't work because someone will break.

Please, please, don't call the police chief and tell him thank you. That is one of the dumest things I have heard in the GD for a long time. All it takes is one BWP member to call in and present their praise for the action, and if the person on the other end of the line does anything but utterly denounce the idea that they had anything to do with anything - that tape will end up hanging them all. Even posting that here puts you in jepordy.

This isn't a frick'n Hallmark or After School Special Movie where the heros get praised and you give them an Atta-boy and thumbs-up. They have this on their backs till the statute of limitations runs out. Sit there, shut up and hope you have the gumption to do the same when they come visit, thought I'd send you away because you won't be able to SHTFU about it.

Nothing happened, so there is no reason to call them. See?

This is why Kennedy's Assasination was not a CIA conspiracy. People can't keep their pie holes shut.

Well i am very sorry if i came off as Dumb :confused:I am feed up with this and all the PC BS America has .

I have lost friends in Iraq and the thought of these people holding signs at a service member funeral Upsets me.

if the 1st protects westboro rights then I guess my right to voice my disgust and stand against them is safe .I don't fear any "visit"

My feelings are like this the Military and the men I served with are like my family,and when someone attacks your family you get mad.

Glad to know i am a dumbass now I guess i should hide in the closet and hope they don't come for me:rolleyes: ****ing A have you ever stood up for something before?

warpigM-4
04-23-11, 22:23

Robb Jensen
04-23-11, 22:27
To: Westboro Baptist Church, Be very careful who you f**k with, it might be those that secure your Constitutional freedoms from your Government, however your fellow citizens might whoop your stupid asses. As Denis Leary said "Life is tough, wear a helmet".

11B101ABN
04-23-11, 22:48

Shut the hell up.

ZRH
04-23-11, 23:27
WBC already won their case in front of SCOTUS. There is no higher court. For the local LEO to deny them their rights is flipping the bird to the highest court in the land.

Theres nothing they can do about it at the time. They will just file a lawsuit, and based on precedent will win. Some local judge might rule against them but once you get above local judges they are not stupid enough to go against SCOTUS case law.

This Sheriff will pay for his protection of the funeral with at least a couple hundred thousand in payment. If they can afford that then thats up to them. It will just give WBC more money to protest more funerals.
Wow, they won a case in front of the supreme court! Good for them!

1) The case you keep bringing up: The opinion was on "state tort claims of intentional infliction of emotional distress." From the opinion "The First Amendment shields Westboro from tort liability for its picketing in this case."

It actually has HUGE POINTY BANNERS on what can be done. From the opinion "That said, ... Westboro’s choice of where and when to conduct its picketing is not beyond the Government’s regulatory reach"

2) If locals are entirely hostile it is up to the National Guard to enforce law. I'd love to see that decision get made.

pilotguyo540
04-24-11, 00:52
Shut the hell up.

Easy there guy.

I understand Belmonts argument and he has some very valid points. You would be wise to listen. You don't have to agree. I would like to take down WBC any way possible. I think they are snivelly little shit stirring ****tards who need a beat down pretty bad for bad taste alone. I still agree with Belmont. He is absolutely correct. Let the locals do whatever they want, but LEO has to stay away AND do what the LAW says. The law is not always right, but it is the law. Law ENFORCEMENT officers must uphold and protect the law. I am not an officer of the law so I am not bound by those same responsibilities.

warpigM-4
04-24-11, 02:19

Belmont31R
04-24-11, 06:22
It sounds to me you support their actions,I guess as long as this is getting no attention your guns are safe from the gestapo.:rolleyes:

My post was the disgust of the WestBoro Church and you spin it into "My guns and jews and faggots" God forbid you ever have to use that weapon cause you would be infringing on somebodies rights and you don't want that. then the gestapo will be beating on you Bunker door:eek:

Man you guys are a lost cause. How hard is it to understand we all have rights, and that means the local LEO don't get to start going around detaining people on false accusations because they don't like someone exercising their rights?

Suwannee Tim
04-24-11, 07:05
By the way, the WBC is also antisemitic. Anti just about everybody except themselves. These folks have been abusing the Bill of Rights, Civil Society and good people for too long. The government is powerless to stop them, it is time for some private initiative. It was not good that the local cops abused their authority. When they get sued by WBC maybe a little jury nullification will be in order.

warpigM-4
04-24-11, 10:30
Man you guys are a lost cause. How hard is it to understand we all have rights, and that means the local LEO don't get to start going around detaining people on false accusations because they don't like someone exercising their rights?

No I am Not Lost, I see Your point ! Rights are not to be infringed at all. .I don't have the full story on why the PD had them in questioning .maybe we will get the full story someday .

I guess that even If I had the right to do that,(which I do) I would not because I have a Heart and I would know it is Wrong.
My rant was Just out of anger on what they did against a Fallen service member.

It gets My blood boiling .Did not mean to take it out on you .I do see were you are coming from .:cool:
After some sleep I have Calmed down so all is well
I still have respect for you Sir ! and Hope You understand My gripe against the WestBoro Tards and not with you ..be safe Jason

Rider79
04-24-11, 10:51
I can agree with Westboro's right to free speech, but for me that right ends at my right to privacy. I think a funeral is a private affair. Leave these poor people alone and let them mourn for God's sake.

All that being said, I posted this mainly for the video, and I didn't intend it to turn into the shitstorm its become. Aside from the sideshow with the Westboro clowns, look at all the people who turned out on the roadside for this fallen Marine. I'm sure anyone here would hope that they themselves have lived the kind of life that brings that kind of response when they pass on.

warpigM-4
04-24-11, 10:58
I am very glad you did the video shows a town coming together for a Family and a member Of their community .It touched me on the deepest levels .I am sorry i went on the rant I did in your thread !

Honu
04-24-11, 12:24

I understood they detained them relating to the gas station incident ?
which was not a false thing but a real incident ?

I do agree though we all have rights and we all can work the system
the fact again people are working the system to stop them is part of the system ? so again I see nothing wrong

if their was no incident then things might be a bit different ?

bullseye
04-24-11, 14:21
please allow me to comment on this. i have owned a home in Pearl [ 1/2 mile from the video route] since 1986. belmont, you can scream ''rights'' all day long, but we here in rankin county value morals more than we do ''rights''. they might have a ''right'' to come to your town and disrupt a hero's service, but we put no value in that here. this is a basically crime fre, safe community here, and we have an excellent police dept. we as citizens, back our PD completely, and request that they take a look people that could be up to no good in town. i myself personally have been stopped in florida, and texas, just checking me out for the safety of the local community, so it happens in more places than here. i'm proud of my fellow citizens, and find no fault in the above discussed events.

Belmont31R
04-24-11, 15:12
please allow me to comment on this. i have owned a home in Pearl [ 1/2 mile from the video route] since 1986. belmont, you can scream ''rights'' all day long, but we here in rankin county value morals more than we do ''rights''. they might have a ''right'' to come to your town and disrupt a hero's service, but we put no value in that here. this is a basically crime fre, safe community here, and we have an excellent police dept. we as citizens, back our PD completely, and request that they take a look people that could be up to no good in town. i myself personally have been stopped in florida, and texas, just checking me out for the safety of the local community, so it happens in more places than here. i'm proud of my fellow citizens, and find no fault in the above discussed events.

Thats all fine and dandy but the 'we do it our way' thing doesn't work in front of SCOTUS, and there is plenty of case law. If it turns out the WBC members were held to deny them their rights your city/county is going to be paying them big bucks. Hope it was worth it, and that money will go to the WBC protesting other funerals.

If you look into this group you will see they are a family of lawyers under the guise a church who feed on things just this to make money. They are out there hoping someone will screw with them in a way they can cash in. By doing what you guys did you are just contributing to their process. You may have saved one funeral from them but they're going to get enough money to do this to 10 more soldier's funerals.

Now with the "we do it our way" approach to law enforcement and right's denial just don't complain when cities like NYC keep charging people for gun crimes because they flew through an airport in their city. There are hundreds of examples of local jurisdictions violating peoples right's. Sometimes you think they are for the good of the community but other areas have other ideas about whats good for the community. Things like charging people for crimes because they are traveling through with guns. You can't really complain if you got detained during a protest in another city because that city doesn't like right wing speech. You can come up with all sorts of scenarios in which you get bitten for doing what your jurisdiction just did. Don't complain if it bites you one day in another area if you want to hold onto that opinion.

I don't like the WBC at all but I wish more people would wake up to the little scam they got going. I've posted before about them being lawyers looking for pay days. The easiest way to get rid of them is to ignore them. Then they don't cash in, and will wither away once their money runs out. The more pay days they get from stupid shit like this the more they will do it. You have to cut their money flow off, and that means ignoring them. Not sicking your LEO's on them which is going to result in a nice little lump sum payment that will feed their activities for a year or maybe more.

montanadave
04-24-11, 15:26

I started to make a comment on this thread a couple of days ago and decided to keep my powder dry. And, believe me, I absolutely loathe the WBC and its message. I also appreciate the well-meaning intentions of a community when they act to protect their own and honor their fallen soldiers.

But when local authorities decide which constitutional rights apply to whom and under what circumstances, they haven't just started down a slippery slope-- they've gone right over the cliff. Abusing their statutory authority to deprive someone of those rights is further evidence of justice denied.

And local "values" don't trump an individual's constitutional rights. Local "justice" which bypasses the Constitution to appease local "values" and "morals" is the same recipe which permitted some very sad and regrettable chapters in American history.

Honu
04-24-11, 19:08
So if they were questioned about the crime at the gas station a legit reason you OK with that ?

I started to make a comment on this thread a couple of days ago and decided to keep my powder dry. And, believe me, I absolutely loathe the WBC and its message. I also appreciate the well-meaning intentions of a community when they act to protect their own and honor their fallen soldiers.

But when local authorities decide which constitutional rights apply to whom and under what circumstances, they haven't just started down a slippery slope-- they've gone right over the cliff. Abusing their statutory authority to deprive someone of those rights is further evidence of justice denied.

And local "values" don't trump an individual's constitutional rights. Local "justice" which bypasses the Constitution to appease local "values" and "morals" is the same recipe which permitted some very sad and regrettable chapters in American history.

montanadave
04-24-11, 20:34
So if they were questioned about the crime at the gas station a legit reason you OK with that ?

If the police had probable cause to detain these folks in the course of a legitimate investigation, absolutely.

But does anyone seriously think that was the case? The article clearly gives the impression that civil authorities took coordinated action to thwart the WBC with a wink and a nod to their legal authority to do so.

I'm like most everybody else. My reaction is "good on you" for showing these bastards the door. But what about when the tables are turned, somebody doesn't like what I have to say, and decides to muzzle me by abusing their authority.

"Justice denied anywhere diminishes justice everywhere."

We either have equal protection under the law or we don't. We don't get to pick and choose when, where and to whom it applies.

ZRH
04-24-11, 22:44
If the police had probable cause to detain these folks in the course of a legitimate investigation, absolutely.

But does anyone seriously think that was the case? The article clearly gives the impression that civil authorities took coordinated action to thwart the WBC with a wink and a nod to their legal authority to do so.

I'm like most everybody else. My reaction is "good on you" for showing these bastards the door. But what about when the tables are turned, somebody doesn't like what I have to say, and decides to muzzle me by abusing their authority.

We either have equal protection under the law or we don't. We don't get to pick and choose when, where and to whom it applies.
In some states, don't know about Missi, getting dragged down to the police station if you have an interaction with the police isn't mind blowing.

I am wondering though why none of these towns have laws for protest/assembly permits o.O Around here you have to have a permit and a bond on file with the city government for expenses. We had some war protest like a week ago and they CSed the crowd when the time on the permit ran out.

bullseye
04-25-11, 09:35
belmont,, please believe me,, i really think that you despise the WBC as much as the rest of us do. and i also believe in the CON of the US,and have always abided by the laws of the land. the only inter-action i have had with the Pearl PD is when the chief signed off on a class 3 weapon for me. however,,, there is not any denying that this world is out of kilt, and SOMEBODY has to take a stand for moral decency,,,,, instead of, ''it's their right''. now,, IF,, the city gets sued, i'll gladly pitch a little in, and my guess is so will people all over this great land. again,, i understand thoroughly where you stand on this, you are defending ''rights'', not WBC, but i'm taking a stand for human decency, and that outweighs ''rights'' to me,,, granted i'm 67years old,, and not from this ''rights'' generation. let the chips land where they fall.

Honu
04-25-11, 09:58
innocent until proven guilty ?
why think they did something wrong until proven otherwise ?

again I agree but they were in a altercation at a gas station ? that one stupid move opened them up !

as a brother who is a prosecutor as could any LEO I can tell you any little thing you do can come back if something else goes down ! and this is the case I truly feel

RogerinTPA
04-25-11, 10:59
Good on the citizens of MS.;) May this situation reoccur wherever Westboro members show their asses at any military funeral.

bullseye
04-25-11, 11:22
well guys,, what i'm hoping, is perhaps this will light a spark everywhere. everybody has been too scared of these bullies for way too long. there is some mighty clever people across this nation,, that can show the ''bubba brigade'' a trick or two. there also is not a shortage across this country of people with the balls of a black-maned lion. maybe this will set the stage for some people to show us down here how it's done!!!!! i promise,, we will cheer them on....they won't hurt our feelings. hit THEM where it hurts,, in the back pocket,,that will slow them down...let me be perfectly clear,, i'm not calling down evil on their head, or violence, but some clever ''hi-jinks''.

MistWolf
04-25-11, 14:34
While we all have freedom of speech, we are also at liberty to exercise that right. What liberty means is that we are allowed exercise our rights, but are held accountable and must accept the consequences for the choices we make.

The rousting of shooters planning to meet at a range does not compare to the rousting of the WBC planning to disrupt a funeral.

It is legal and acceptable to meet at a range to fire weapons in a controlled and disciplined manner. It is legal to meet at the WBC church or to make arrangements to gather at a meeting place set aside for such events to discuss and debate the merits of being part of a military establishment fighting for the corrupt causes of an out of control government. In either case, being detained by, or otherwise harassed by the police or the community is unconstitutional.

If a group with firearms were to gather to disrupt a private funeral or other gathering with the intent to brandish said firearms as a protest sign, disrupt, create confrontations and fling verbal abuse to disrespect the attendants or the deceased, that group should expect consequences for those actions in the form of possible legal actions.

The WBC, brandishing signs and acting the same, should expect consequences as well. One cannot simply yell "Fire!" in a crowded theater, after all

glocktogo
04-25-11, 15:06

At this point, I'm pretty much behind that idea. What's going to happen? Is the SCOTUS police going to show up and throw you in jail? "Highest" court in the land has never been more applicable. :(

TOrrock
04-25-11, 15:54
Where are the Blues Brothers when you need them? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhozx819izU&feature)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v613/Tim_Orrock/Funny%20stuff/coffee.gif

warpigM-4
04-25-11, 17:07
Templar :laugh: well played Sir! well played HAHA

montanadave
04-25-11, 17:30
Where are the Blues Brothers when you need them? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhozx819izU&feature)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v613/Tim_Orrock/Funny%20stuff/coffee.gif

Well, obviously some folks just think they're on a mission from God and there's the Jake and Elwoods of the world who truly "are on a mission from God." :laugh: