PDA

View Full Version : .204 Ruger....Let's start a discussion!

ALCOAR
04-22-11, 11:10

Littlelebowski
04-22-11, 12:06
In Wyoming; land of the long shots, plains, and high winds, rounds like these and the 22-250 rule the day. 200+ yard shots are the standard on coyotes, prairie dogs, and whatnot. The 22-250 is so popular in Wyoming that there is a t-shirt being sold that reads "22-250: the Coyote Widowmaker."

We have both on our family ranch. The 22-250 adds heavier bullets, easier to find ammo (this is changing), and maybe 50-75 yards but a bit of that may be due to shooter confidence with the de facto standard. The .204 uses much less material (powder) to do almost the same thing and kicks much less, allowing you to track your shot's impact, something varmint shooters prize. The recoil on the 22-250 is not even worthy mentioning except that as I said, the 204's is even less, allowing to track your shots. The 22-250 will definitely deliver more energy down range if your concern is doing more than punching paper. The 22-250 has less barrel life as well.

The calibers are tied on so many levels that the .204 makes a ton of sense since it uses less powder and is easier on barrel life.

I have never noticed the .204 bucking the wind better than the 22-250, especially with the heavier bullets I was using in the 22-250. I have a 22-250 that has killed a lot of animals and won me several bets. Were I to do it over, I'd probably get a .204. That being said, this rifle is so ridiculously accurate that I will not ever part from it.

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h251/baxshep/DSC00579-1.jpg

Littlelebowski
04-22-11, 12:09
The most experienced hunter I know (professional hunting guide in Wyoming) eschews both of these and packs a .220 Swift that has burnt out many barrels. You can tell him about efficiency, barrel life, cost, etc all day but in the end when you're actually doing something with your rifle, the hit on the target counts the most :D

Littlelebowski
04-22-11, 13:40
So, what does this caliber do for you? I believe you live in the South, where shorter distances and heavy scrub favor heavier rounds. The .204 isn't really suited for that.

OMD
04-22-11, 16:22
I agree that the 204 is an ideal long range varmint caliber in the AR-15. My fav persopnal varminter is a 22-250 700, but if I had to choose one platform to do both it would be the 204 upper. Can't go wrong there. As above, if you're short range (under 200-250), no need to go bigger than 223.

ALCOAR
04-22-11, 16:50

Littlelebowski
04-22-11, 17:48
Given what you'll be using it for, I wouldn't buy it. You'll get more out of hand loading the high BC .224 (5.56) offerings and you will save more.

If you lived on the plains sure, get the .204. And I'd get a friendly competition going on with my beloved 22-250 ;)

Invest the money in a hand loading setup and/or glass.

famous187
04-22-11, 18:19
I just took ownership of a RRA 24" SS .204 Ruger Upper yesterday. It was my fathers and he never fired it. I have never fired a .204 Ruger so I'll be interested to see what it can do. This is my first precision rig, all my other AR's are 5.56mm & 9mm carbines. I already have a Dillon 550B so I will be purchasing some dies so I can feed it. I will mainly be using this as a range toy and to play around with some reloads but, wouldn't mind trying it out on a Coyote or groundhog. First thing is to get some glass on it!

Really glad you started this thread because I haven't been finding too much on the .204Ruger with regards to AR's on the web. Looking forward to more information..

ALCOAR
04-22-11, 18:58

Littlelebowski
04-22-11, 19:41
It's an easy sub .5 MOA shooter. 26" barrel.

I took a bunch of bench rest shooters out to the ranch to shoot prairie dogs. They were convinced that .223s with heavy bullets were the ticket.

I won a lot of bragging rights with that 22-250.....

Littlelebowski
04-23-11, 14:50
Trident, consider the path less traveled (http://www.riflesonly.com/courses/course_type/Sniper_Training/Precision_Rifle__I__II__Combo_Utah.html).

JimmyB62
04-23-11, 15:29
While the .204 has a lot of good qualities, for me the best attribute is the ability to see your bullet impact through the scope (ie: bullet tracking as lebowski said). This really increases the fun factor for me.

I suppose if you got into some fast and furious varmint action the AR platform makes some sense, but I strongly prefer a moderate to heavy bolt action.

ALCOAR
04-23-11, 17:16

Artos
04-23-11, 18:38
if i shot a lot, the 204 would be my choice but I'm a swift guy and prefer the downrange energy.

bunch of cool rounds out there but i just stayed away from all the 17 & 20cals as I saw no need for another cleaning rod for my application and targets.

No high volume shooting in south tx and a swift will drop a doe, pig and down range yote better than the baby cals.

Spooky130
04-23-11, 19:43
Has LMT ever printed anything stating they use Rock blanks? I know I've spread that information around but has it been verified?

Spooky

ALCOAR
04-24-11, 02:03

Warg
07-01-11, 00:30
Reviving this thread as I'm interested in pursuing a potential 204 Ruger AR build for tagging little critters.

I noticed that Shilen, WOA, Lilja and a couple of others offer 20"+ barrels in HBAR profiles only. Why is this the case? I've seen and used plenty of medium-profiled bolt gun .204s that work well. A three and half or four pound barreled AR might be fine for punching paper, but not if you're trudging in the mountains or desert during the middle of summer. Is there an issue with barrel stringing or excessive heat that requires a heavy profile is this just the way they make 'em?

SMC527
07-05-11, 07:22
I have a CZ 527 kevlar varmint in .204.

it is the smallest mauser action I have ever seen and has a single "set" trigger.

the gun was ridiculously reasonably priced (about $450) and will absolutely shoot (it is the only honest sub .5 MOA rifle I have ever fired)

I love the cartridge and love the rifle. It has killed lots of groundhogs and crows. One day in 2009, I killed 6 groundhogs between 575 and 600 yards.

I have never owned a 22-250 or a Swift, but I can tell you that the .204 absolutely blows the .223 away for varminting

rob_s
07-05-11, 08:18
I've always found these types of calibers passively interesting myself, but always wondered what I'd do with one.

LL, you touched on just sticking with 5.56 (as well as the ignored advice to spend the money on training instead, which was a great suggestion) but outside of 200+ yard varmint hunting can you expound on what, if any, advantages this round may have? I've always just come back to hand-loading for 5.56 being the better choice. What am I missing?

Littlelebowski
07-05-11, 08:40
I cannot think of a reason to own this outside of varminting, rob. Personally, I'd rather spend the money on training. If I was hunting with a .204, it would be a bolt gun as they will always win the accuracy contest and are lighter and far less bulky.

Maybe if you and some friends set up outside of a prairie dog town measured in acres there would be a compelling case for this .204 AR but otherwise, what's the point?

Were I interested in the long range AR game and had time and money to pursue it, I'd build a .260 and play with the big boys out to 1k yards at a formal long range training class. The .260 drifts and drops less than .308 and the accuracy is there.

Warg
07-05-11, 11:32
Maybe if you and some friends set up outside of a prairie dog town measured in acres there would be a compelling case for this .204 AR but otherwise, what's the point?

This is exaclty the case where I hunt:
http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn176/Dr_Wolfenstein/Misc/DSCN0154_sm.jpg

http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn176/Dr_Wolfenstein/Misc/DSCN0144_sm.jpg

http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn176/Dr_Wolfenstein/Misc/DSCN0136_sm.jpg

Prarie dogs are abundant in the high desert of Eastern Idaho and many farmers in the area will grant you free access to their land to hunt. After a day of hunting these little dudes with a bolt gun last summer I had blisters on my fingers. A semi-auto varmint gun would be ideal.

v3n0m
07-05-11, 11:38
The .204 is a very overlooked round where im from. No1 hardly even knows what it is. I bought one a couple of years back as a backup so to speak for my savage 22-250 to bust coyotes with. To be quite honest, I prefer to use the .204 over the 22-250 myself...dont know just quite what it is about it, but man is that hornady v-max mean out of the .204. Anyone who doesnt have one or curious about it, h&r makes a very cheap one thats quite a shooter.

ALCOAR
07-05-11, 11:40

Warg
07-05-11, 13:05
F**K me running that is beautiful, seeing landscapes like that makes you want to own rifles:p

Indeed, the scenery is wonderful! You don't need large objectives to hunt in the morning or evening either due to the abundance of ambient light, but distances can be very deceiving with the wide open expanses. If on foot, the biggest challenges are the elevation and terrain (about 4,500'-12,000').

John_Burns
07-05-11, 13:59
For the AR shooter the handloaded 5.56/.223 is a better choice, even for high volume Prairie Dog shooting.

While interesting the .204 brings some real limitation as a practical varmint hunting round compared to the 5.56/.223.

• The 5.56 NATO pressure handloads with 40gr bullets will run right with the .204 in comparable barrels and the 5.56/.223 has better bullets in the 40 gr weight. The Nosler Ballistic tip is quite a bit better design for coyotes than the VMAX as it has much less of a tendency to explode on the entrance.

• The .204 is more sensitive to keeping the barrel clean and guess what, the cleaning rods you already own for your .223 are too big.

• All of the Chrome Lined 5.56 barrels (1/9 and 1/7) I have ever worked with have given varmint level accuracy with the lighter weight (40s,50s, and 55gr Nosler BTs) bullets. I don’t even think you have an option for a Chrome barrel in .204. You can really get a barrel hot in a good Prairie Dog town in the middle of Aug.

• Everything is more expensive in the .204. Barrels, ammo, maintenance items like cleaning rods, brass is way more expensive and you will be losing a lot of it hunting.

None of this will be a huge problem, but unless you just want to have a .204, I think the good ol 5.56/.223 will actually work better for varmint hunting with the AR.

I have never used the .204 in the AR so keep that in mind, but I have used it in bolt guns and was involved in the Article in Guns and Ammo that the OP references.

I would also wonder about AR reliability with the .204. The .204 case has the shoulder moved forward with less body taper and this would seem to cause issues in magazines. Anybody know what types of mags are dead reliable in feeding the .204?

The issue of the gas system might be another area of concern. Port size and location combined with springs and buffers. Everything might be all worked out but I don’t know and would not be inclined to spend money unless I was sure the gun would actually run.

kartoffel
07-05-11, 19:39
There are a truly mind boggling number of varmint rounds out there. If one were building an AR-15 based varminter and had to have something different than 5.56, then .204 Ruger is absolutely a good choice.

If on the other hand one were shopping with a bolt gun in mind, there would be a lot more to pick from.

Warg
07-05-11, 23:59
John_Burns & kartoffel-

Thank you for the information. As I typically shoot non-varmint 55+ ammo in .223/5.56 I've paid little attention to the lighter varmint rounds that are readily available. I guess I was so enamoured with the .204 bolt rifles and their effects on prarie dog's that I never even considered .223. :o

Since I currently do not have the time to handload, I'm pretty sure I could make do with the following mass produced ammo:

Hornady 40gr - 55gr VMAX
Hornady 35gr NTX (4,000 FPS using a 24" BBL!)
Federal V-Shock Nosler Ballistic Tip in 40 and 55 gr

Ring
07-09-11, 22:41
204 beats the wind better the 223, even well past 500y, the big problem i see is a lack of penetration... im talking 2 to 4" at a distance... think 17hmr...

usmc1371
07-10-11, 14:48
I did a longish write up on the LBC .204 super varmint over in the precision simi area but I will recap a few points I have picked up shooting this gun since 2005.
To date I have well over 1k rounds through my Les Baer and it will still shoot 5 shots into a ragged hole. To be honest its probably alot closer to 2K than 1K.
.204 in my experince is a better varmint round than .223, I have a sako .223 that is a tack driver and it hasn't seen more than a hand full of rounds since I got the .204. I like that I can spot my own hits with the .204. I have never had a problem finding ammo and now it seems to be in every shop I stop in.
The down side. The .204 does not put down coyotes at ranges past 400 yds like the 22-250, it lacks the energy. I have not seen that the .204 bucks wind better than the 22-250, but I think its better in the wind than my .223.
AR .204 is unbeatable when you are in an area with lots of targets spread out over a wide range. The ability to shoot a sage rat, spot your hit, move on the the next one with out ever taking your eye away form the scope is out standing. The down side to MY AR .204 is the dam thing weighs a ton. I am sure its over 11 pounds with the scope and feels like 20. I don't think you need a barrel the size of a high lift jack handle to take advantage of the .204. The retard heavy tube on my Les Baer does not seem to be efected by heat in "normal" varmint shooting situations but I think it could weigh about 5 pounds less and be fine.

usmc1371
07-10-11, 15:04
gfelber, the land scape you shoot in looks almost exactly like where I shoot rats and coyotes in Burns OR. Nothing like some high desert varminting.

The 17hmr IMHO aint even in the same ball park as the .204 I have shot them side by side and now the .17 belonging to my little bro has been sold and a .204 handi rifle fills its place.

Reliability (sp?) in the AR platform in my experince has been every bit as good or better than the .223/5.56 AR's/M4's/M16's I have shot.

The problem I have had with shots on coyotes beyond 400 is lack of expansion with the 32 grain Vmax, usuly fixed with a mag dump into a wounded and moving coyote. Inside of that range the little pill blows up and hammers dogs proper results.

You can't beat the AR for fallow up shots. I grew up shooting bolt guns and still hunt with them and they aint even close in the second and third shot department.

Warg
07-11-11, 12:49
I've spent some time in your neck of the woods too. My wife and I typically rent a house for a week or two in the Fall anywhere from Sisters to Seneca. Awesome country, but unfortunately I don't bring the rifles for hunting little critters and that's when I see tons of 'em. Maybe this year...

If I build a Varmint AR in .223 or .204 it's going to buck the trend and be very lightweight, i.e., my goal is six pounds or less without the optics. I just don't see why I need a four pound + 0.9" diameter barrel for varmint hunting.

gfelber, the land scape you shoot in looks almost exactly like where I shoot rats and coyotes in Burns OR. Nothing like some high desert varminting.

The 17hmr IMHO aint even in the same ball park as the .204 I have shot them side by side and now the .17 belonging to my little bro has been sold and a .204 handi rifle fills its place.

Reliability (sp?) in the AR platform in my experince has been every bit as good or better than the .223/5.56 AR's/M4's/M16's I have shot.

The problem I have had with shots on coyotes beyond 400 is lack of expansion with the 32 grain Vmax, usuly fixed with a mag dump into a wounded and moving coyote. Inside of that range the little pill blows up and hammers dogs proper results.

You can't beat the AR for fallow up shots. I grew up shooting bolt guns and still hunt with them and they aint even close in the second and third shot department.

J-Dub
07-11-11, 15:38
Why not look to 6mm or .243? Like maybe a .243wssm.

For varmints i can see where a .204 would be attractive. But it seems like you just want a more efficient long range round that can be used in an AR15 standard lower. Of course none of the above would use the same bolt or mag, but if its just a long range toy, having two or three mags would be fine..

Warg
07-11-11, 15:54
The 6mm is interesting, but not really economical for me as I don't reload. My longest range hunting AR, probably max 400y, would be for small varmints only so the 0.243 is out as it's more than I need (and pricey too). I use a 6.8 for hunting medium game and a .308 bolt action for larger game.

Why not look to 6mm or .243? Like maybe a .243wssm.

For varmints i can see where a .204 would be attractive. But it seems like you just want a more efficient long range round that can be used in an AR15 standard lower.

J-Dub
07-12-11, 14:56
Lots of praire doggers shoot 6mm's....

Ring
07-12-11, 20:25
didnt expect this...

a 204 is still super sonic at 1000y.... thats a good BC... in 223 u would need to use 75gr+ to do that

btw.. just got 2 ground hogs today @ 550y and 575y with my 243wssm and 60gr 223.

http://img12.imageshack.us/img12/4430/sprintphotob5uwz3.jpg
http://img232.imageshack.us/img232/7072/sprintphotob0k4w3.jpg

ALCOAR
07-12-11, 20:32

Warg
07-12-11, 20:36
Nice shooting!

Warg
07-12-11, 21:00
^^^stuff like that is gonna make me pursue this option^^^

Why??? Because I can for one:D, secondly I love every thing I learn about this little .204 and I love shooting...I might not varmint hunt, but I sure as heck love LR shooting with the AR platform and this rd. seems to be a VERY enjoyable rd. to shoot LR with. (under 1k obviously)

There is some great info in this thread, thanks to all who contributed and keep it coming:)

eta...my extreme love for vmax also pulls me strongly towards playing around w. this option. I don't have to be a reloader to exploit this particular caliber unlike so many other awesome calibers for the AR platform. At the end of the day, I'm a MRP AR guy...this option works perfectly with that.

Me too. I'm in for three varmint builds this summer: one .223 and two .204s. The latter .204 will be for my uncle who is gracious enough to let me hunt with him :smile:

What I'm going to try to do differently, however, is make them lightweight with dimpled (via Marvin Pitts) or fluted medium-profile barrels.

Hopefully I'll have some varmint carnage reports and platform comparisons by end of August.

Ring
07-12-11, 21:10
Nice shooting!

my best is 882y, 1/2 mile with a 223 60gr

ALCOAR
07-12-11, 21:12

Ring
07-12-11, 21:25
the top 1 was 243wssm 87gr vmax, the bottom was 60gr vmax through the spine, out the shoulder..

Warg
07-13-11, 01:28
Cool.

I've Marvin doing a Noveske right now and am about to send him a Shilen .204 and another Noveske (6.8). I just picked up a Kreiger Varmatch and I'm a little apprehensive about sending that one in- it sure is damn heavy though. I'll likely wait until I evaluate the first three. Marvin doesn't appear to be too bahind right now at about 3-4 weeks out, but that was his estimate three weeks ago :smile: I'm sure this will increase as we get closer to the end of the summer.

Looking forward to seeing what you end up with as well.

Overall I'm torn on the issue of dimpling and in general I'm usually always against doing anything to include dimpling on a premium blank like a Rock in my case, or a Krieger, Noveske, Shilan, Hart, etc.

That said, Marvin's work and his professionalism is off the charts and his work yields beautiful results aesthetically speaking. I think I will send him my rock 10.5" CL after another cpl. hundred rds. down the tube to get dimpled. It would complete a pure LMT/KAC rifle:cool:

I have given prob. 20-30 members Marvin's contact info, so I def. am not against his work or him....just a bit on the fence in regards to performing barrel work on super fine china blanks. Last time I heard he was backed up a few months...he has gotta very popular the last few yrs.

I look forward to seeing and hearing about your two .204 builds and I honestly think I'm going to send an email to LMT tonight:)

John_Burns
07-13-11, 23:30
204 beats the wind better the 223, even well past 500y, the big problem i see is a lack of penetration... im talking 2 to 4" at a distance... think 17hmr...

Huh??

The 5.56/.223 will beat the .204 at 500yds. Please show some data for you statement.

Hornadys published BC for the 40gr ain’t exactly the unvarnished truth. Factor in the better BC bullets available for the 5.56/.223 when fed from a mag and I think you might want to rethink your statement.

Warg
07-14-11, 00:13
I have no dog in this fight, but plugging some data into JBM ballistics (and assuming Hornady's BC for 40 gr VMAX is correct), they appear to be pretty similar in windage at a 500y and 800y. The 204 wins easily in terms of drop.

For example in a 10 MPH wind, 500y (drop and windage in inches):

.223 77 gr SMK @ 2,750 FPS MV = -63.6 drop; 24.1 windage
.223 75 gr BTHP @ 2,790 FPS MV = -58.9 drop; 21.0 windage
.204 40 gr VMAX @ 3,900 FPS MV = -31.6 drop; 20.7 windage

At 800 yds in the same wind. Again these are calculated values:

.223 77 gr SMK @ 2,750 FPS MV = -246.2 drop; 81.0 windage
.223 75 gr BTHP @ 2,790 FPS MV = -219.9 drop; 68.2 windage
.204 40 gr VMAX @ 3,900 FPS MV = -136.5 drop; 71.6 windage

I haven't looked at other bullets, but I suspect some optimized handloads variations among barresl/MVs could give an advantage to either caliber.

Ring
07-14-11, 00:25
I have no dog in this fight, but plugging some data into JBM ballistics, they appear to be pretty similar in windage at a 500y and 800y. The 204 wins easily in terms of drop.

For example in a 10 MPH wind, 500y (drop and windage in inches):

.223 77 gr SMK @ 2,750 FPS MV = -63.6 drop; 24.1 windage
.223 75 gr BTHP @ 2,790 FPS MV = -58.9 drop; 21.0 windage
.204 40 gr VMAX @ 3,900 FPS MV = -31.6 drop; 20.7 windage

At 800 yds in the same wind. Again these are calculated values:

.223 77 gr SMK @ 2,750 FPS MV = -246.2 drop; 81.0 windage
.223 75 gr BTHP @ 2,790 FPS MV = -219.9 drop; 68.2 windage
.204 40 gr VMAX @ 3,900 FPS MV = -136.5 drop; 71.6 windage

I haven't looked at other bullets, but I suspect some optimized handloads variations among barresl/MVs could give an advantage to either caliber.

compare apples.... 223 40gr vmax or 60gr vmax

Ring
07-14-11, 00:33
Huh??

The 5.56/.223 will beat the .204 at 500yds. Please show some data for you statement.

Hornadys published BC for the 40gr ain’t exactly the unvarnished truth. Factor in the better BC bullets available for the 5.56/.223 when fed from a mag and I think you might want to rethink your statement.

http://www.federalpremium.com/products/print/compare/rifle_compare.aspx?compare=697%2c208%2c209%2c146%2c147

Warg
07-14-11, 00:34
compare apples.... 223 40gr vmax or 60gr vmax

As I mentioned, I didn't compare others. Obviously, I did pick the better BC .223s and naturally the lighter .223s will fair less favorably. Send me a ballpark MVs for 40 or 60 gr .223 and I'll run it.

Warg
07-14-11, 00:36
http://www.federalpremium.com/products/print/compare/rifle_compare.aspx?compare=697%2c208%2c209%2c146%2c147

Well that's certainly an easier solution, thanks. ;)

John_Burns
07-15-11, 12:08
Well I have not actually shot the 39gr Sierra but I find it hard to believe it has a real world G1 BC of 0.287 although the published velocity of 3700fps is most likely realistic.

The Hornady 40gr has a published BC of 0.275 and that is pretty far of the mark as the real world tested BC is 0.220. I suspect the Sierra falls into this category.

The 40gr Nosler BT in .204 has a much more realistic published BC of 0.239 which since it is based on form factor puts the real world BC around 0.220.

The .204 40gr bullet has a SD of 0.137 which means it compares to the 0.223 50 gr bullets. Give both of those bullets the same basic shape and the BC will be very equivalent.

Until I actually see the 39gr Sierra live up to the published number I am going to remain very skeptical. In fact I would be willing to bet a nice steak dinner in Cody WY that it will, in the real world, drift more in the wind than a good 75gr 5.56/.223 load.

It’s not that I think the 0.204 is a bad round, I just don’t think it offer any real world ballistic advantage over the 5.56/.223 in the AR platform.

Pappabear
07-15-11, 17:08
I have not dabbled in the 204 Ruger, and am a 22-250 Tikka-Vmax-Laser like gun for Yotes in AZ. I don't think the rugger 204 will do much different than similar bullets in .223, however, I have met many that were staggered by the performance of the round. Doesn't make sense to me. But the round is here to stay and has many believers.

It does make me wonder how the round would fair as a CQB SBR round in place of the 9mm MP5 offering. Better than .223 , maybe not. But you never know till you thoroughly test it. Keep us posted on whatever you find out.

Ring
07-15-11, 17:39
The lack of penetration would suck on people

Warg
07-15-11, 21:54
These data are helpful, thanks. I can't verify your tested BCs nor am I questioning their validity, but either way in my example above it appears that I compared the best BC among 204 and 223 rounds and there is a negligible difference in wind drift .i.e., < 1 MOA at 500y.

Sure looks like apples to me.

Edit: When you factor drop AND wind drift, the .204 round is a compelling option.

Well I have not actually shot the 39gr Sierra but I find it hard to believe it has a real world G1 BC of 0.287 although the published velocity of 3700fps is most likely realistic.

The Hornady 40gr has a published BC of 0.275 and that is pretty far of the mark as the real world tested BC is 0.220. I suspect the Sierra falls into this category.

The 40gr Nosler BT in .204 has a much more realistic published BC of 0.239 which since it is based on form factor puts the real world BC around 0.220.

The .204 40gr bullet has a SD of 0.137 which means it compares to the 0.223 50 gr bullets. Give both of those bullets the same basic shape and the BC will be very equivalent.

Until I actually see the 39gr Sierra live up to the published number I am going to remain very skeptical. In fact I would be willing to bet a nice steak dinner in Cody WY that it will, in the real world, drift more in the wind than a good 75gr 5.56/.223 load.

It’s not that I think the 0.204 is a bad round, I just don’t think it offer any real world ballistic advantage over the 5.56/.223 in the AR platform.

At any rate, I'll trade you a steak dinner in Cody for an Alaskan wild salmon dinner in Seattle :)

Littlelebowski
07-15-11, 22:04
I've no doubt that the heavier 5.56 rds will hit harder. Also, .308 rds will hit harder than 22-250. That being said, my 22-250 is always in the truck when I'm out on the ranch in Douglas and I'd damned sure pick a reliable .204 with good ammo over a 5.56 every time. I know that I shoot better with the .204.

Warg
07-26-11, 16:07
This may be a bit premature, but here is the progress on the first 204. This is the gun I'm putting together for my uncle. I decided on a silver and black theme just for kicks.

http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn176/Dr_Wolfenstein/204%20Ruger%20ARs/ALlbutscopeR2.jpg
There are some parts in there that I wouldn't necessarily pick, but they may be suitable for a varmint gun.

So far:
Spikes lower
A few chromed (satin finish) DPMS lower parts like takedown pin, pivot pin, mag catch/button. DPMS offers a chromed bolt catch, but I did not want to go there.
G&R LPK for the others
TD pistol grip
Geissele SSA-E trigger
Magpul PRS with glass bead blasted aluminum bits and cerakote (satin aluminum) on the steel screws. I brushed the lip of the buttplate for added contrast and to match the BC and barrel.
DPMS Lo Pro upper
JP 12" HG & cerakoted HG crews
Young NM BCG staked via MOACKS
Shilen barrel, fluted
BCM GF CH Mod 3
LaRue scope mount with cerakote on the screw heads
Sadlak 0.936" GB

I'm going to sight it in with whatever optic I have lying around as my uncle already has a scope.

The darn thing is heavy at 10 lbs 3 oz! Here's a size comparison vs. a 16":
http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn176/Dr_Wolfenstein/204%20Ruger%20ARs/sizecomparisonsm.jpg

For the second build, I'm definitely going to have the other barrel reprofiled first, then dimpled or fluted. I'll start another thread on these with more details when they're finished and sorted out.

Ring
07-26-11, 19:09
pimpin....!
:)