PDA

View Full Version : Cross Draw holsters

blkexp98
04-22-11, 14:13
Im not sure if this is the right forum for this so if its not feel free to move or delete this post.

I have been doing some thinking latley and what is the consensus on cross draw holsters? The main benefit i see is that they arnt exposed if you bend over and depending on how its made you have access in a vehicle. The downside is in a vehicle how will the seatbelt play in and how easy will the draw be. You also have to consider getting in a wreck and the new pressure points created. Appendix carry seems a little on edge for me if there was a negligent discharge or failure.

The 4 to 5 oclock position conceals well when walking but if you bend down its possibly exposed. That position also causes issues seated in a vehicle if you need access. Three oclock somewhat gives you access in a vehicle but you need a large waist or small pistol grip to conceal there.

So what do yall think about all this and are there any holster makers that cater more in this direction?

helothar
04-22-11, 14:45
seems to me drawing would require much more movement than if it wasn't in a cross draw position

Luke_Y
04-22-11, 16:37
Im not sure if this is the right forum for this so if its not feel free to move or delete this post.

I have been doing some thinking latley and what is the consensus on cross draw holsters? The main benefit i see is that they arnt exposed if you bend over and depending on how its made you have access in a vehicle. The downside is in a vehicle how will the seatbelt play in and how easy will the draw be. You also have to consider getting in a wreck and the new pressure points created. Appendix carry seems a little on edge for me if there was a negligent discharge or failure.

The 4 to 5 oclock position conceals well when walking but if you bend down its possibly exposed. That position also causes issues seated in a vehicle if you need access. Three oclock somewhat gives you access in a vehicle but you need a large waist or small pistol grip to conceal there.

So what do yall think about all this and are there any holster makers that cater more in this direction?

I see their primary usefulness is driving as you pointed out. They allow easy access when belted in the drivers seat (not so much belted in the passenger seat).

That usefulness wouldn't be enough to get me to swap to one on occasion when driving. I like to keep my carry location (3 o'clock +/-) close to the same wether concealed or not. I have no problem getting a gun out fast from a duty rig @3 when belted, but a concealment rig can present problems. Situational awareness is your friend here.

Only time I could envision ever carrying cross draw would be some concealed carry high risk or protection assignment where I was assigned as the driver and almost always with the car/in the drivers seat. Even then it would most likely be a second gun in that location...

dsg2003gt
04-22-11, 17:10
I dont like them, they add a bunch of time to your draw and increase your chances of blowing a hole in your hand.

Evil Colt 6920
04-22-11, 17:30
My main concern with crossdraw holsters is the possibility that you will be pointing the gun in a friendly direction on the draw.

Erik 1
04-22-11, 17:35
Have you read the appendix carry thread (http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=17903&highlight=aiwb)?

ryn1523
04-22-11, 17:39
For driving or sitting, a Cross draw at the right angle can be very handy. I like them with a touch angle than other makers. Depending on the style, the holster can be used in a cross draw or appendix carry position.
While very concealable and comfortable, you have to take retention into consideration. In CD, you have to be very careful not to present the grip of your gun to a would be attacker. I like it to be in the 10-11 o'clock position. this cuts down on the angle someone can grab it from you, yet presents a good angle for a draw.
It's all personal preference.

condition 1
04-24-11, 10:36
I use a Bianchi Cyclone cross draw holster with my 686 when i'm hunting or at the ranch, its easy to sit and get in and out of a vehicle, I don't think its good for concealed carry, where speed and stance is important, do what works best for you...

Abraxas
04-24-11, 11:18
I would recommend appendix over crossdraw. It is fast whether standing or in a car