PDA

View Full Version : American Tactical 92c

M&P15OR
04-22-11, 15:18
Anyone have any experience with this pistol? CDNN has them right now for $299.00. I have done alot of research on them through reviews and they all say they're actually better fit and finish than the original Beretta and these are made with the steel guide rod as opposed to the plastic one Beretta uses now. Supposedly they are made to very stringent specs but we all know how the rumor mill works so I'm asking here for qualified info.

Timbonez
04-22-11, 15:30
Is a steel guide rod that important to you? Is fit and finish more important to you than functionality? If you want a weapon styled after a 92, buy a Beretta. What reviews exactly were you reading that said they were better than Berettas?

I apologize if I come off sounding like an ass, but don't purchase something like this to save a buck... you get what you pay for.

What is your intended use with this pistol?

M&P15OR
04-22-11, 15:55
Well I can tell you I have no experience with any auto handgun( I have always owned revolvers )other than my just inherited .22 my dad had. I have been reading for a few days different forums and magazine reports on this pistol and all responses and reviews are very good. They are supposedly ( i say this as I have no proof other than what i have read) being issued to the Turkish military and government agencies and have to meet NATO testing specs. Supposedly (see above) they have to make it through some very rigorous testing such as firing 8,000 rounds with no failures and keeping groups no larger than 8cm at 25 meters. I have also read that the plastic guide rods have been known to crack hence my preference for steel. Guns magazine praised it very highly for function and accuracy. These were originally priced at $549.95 but are on sale so why not look for a good price. I got my S&W M&P 15OR from CDNN when they had them for 50% off with an additional $100.00 rebate. I will use it for just shooting as i have a Saiga S-12 for HD along with my Colt Trooper MkIII .357. Also I didn't say they were better than the original Beretta I said they claim the fit and finish is better, again going by what I have read . This is why I am asking here for personal experience as I know the community here has some great knowledge of various brands of weapons.

rathos
04-23-11, 02:49
The fit and finish on the ones I have handled is no where near an actual beretta 92. They also had horrible trigger pulls in double action compared to any beretta I have fired.

Personally I would look for a used Beretta, I had seen some used 92c pistols floating around not that long ago for roughly the same price. You could also save up a bit more and purchase a new one as I heard beretta had imported a few of these.

Personally I would not buy one sight unseen. YMMV.

operator81
04-23-11, 09:22
Guns magazine praised it very highly for function and accuracy.

This is the problem right here. Save your money and just get a Beretta rather than a POS copy. You can find good conditioned, used Berettas in the >$400 mark if you take your time and look.

Pistol Shooter
04-23-11, 11:00
This is the problem right here. Save your money and just get a Beretta rather than a POS copy. You can find good conditioned, used Berettas in the >$400 mark if you take your time and look.

+1

I know it's tough to wait but a real Beretta will be well worth the bit of extra money. ;)

M&P15OR
04-23-11, 11:18
Ok thanks for your replies guys. I rarely believe much of what I read but there was just so much positive info I was seriously considering getting one. They have trade in HK USP40's for right around $400.00 also found another place that had Beretta 90 two trade in's for around $400.00. Any info on the Israeli Cherokee Bul ? They have those for $319.00 and again I have done alot of reading research and they have gotten very good reviews.

Pistol Shooter
04-23-11, 14:02
Stick with something made by a major manufacturer, backed by a good warranty and customer service.

Beretta, HK (yes, their CS is excellent now), S&W, Sig, Glock.

operator81
04-23-11, 14:35
Stick with something made by a major manufacturer, backed by a good warranty and customer service.

Beretta, HK (yes, their CS is excellent now), S&W, Sig, Glock.

Sage advice right here.

M&P15OR
04-27-11, 00:33
Well a brand new Beretta PX4 Storm compact is going to get a new home. Was seriously considering the S&W M&P 9mm but with the current threads that are up discussing the problems and the less than stellar accuracy compared to other top brand 9mm's why spend just as much for one of those as I did for the Beretta? Hopefully have it this week for some weekend fun. I was going to get rid of my 1979 Colt Trooper MkIII .357 nickel plated 6" barrel to offset the cost as I have 2 of them but I've decided to keep it. My FFl wanted it pretty bad so i guess he'll be disappointed. Thanks again guys for the suggestions.

PaulL
04-27-11, 07:21
You bought the wrong gun. :(

ICANHITHIMMAN
04-27-11, 10:33
crap made in PI they are here in Rochester they brought their whole line up to a wounded warrior shoot I did, crap and they guys were idiots! Little weenies

operator81
04-27-11, 12:20
crap made in PI they are here in Rochester they brought their whole line up to a wounded warrior shoot I did, crap and they guys were idiots! Little weenies

Ummm....what? :confused:

M&P15OR
04-27-11, 13:36
You bought the wrong gun. :(

What's the right gun do tell please as I have found nothing negative about this pistol. And where was your sage advice earlier. Not trying to be rude but I asked for advice and got just a couple responses and from what I have read here about the problems associated with several top brand weapons ie: the S&W M&Ps' not only in the M&P thread but in the "Are there any reliable handguns" thread. I was advised to stick with Beretta so I researched alot of forums and read a ton of reviews and not one of them had anything negative about the PX4 Storm other than the recoil spring being to stiff and that has been fixed.

M&P15OR
04-27-11, 13:39
Ummm....what? :confused:

I second that. :confused:

helothar
04-27-11, 13:47
Thread On PX4 (https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=51840&page=2)

F-Trooper05
04-27-11, 15:14
Take a look at the number of professional shooters and instructors that use the M&P, then compare it with the number that use the PX4. When people here advised you to buy a Beretta, they were referring to the 92 series.

PaulL
04-27-11, 15:48
I have found nothing negative about this pistol.
I have. Lots. Search Button.

And where was your sage advice earlier.
Just now saw the thread. I'm truly sorry I didn't see it earlier.

Not trying to be rude but I asked for advice and got just a couple responses...
Nobody here spoon-feeds anyone that doesn't even try to find the answer on their own. I suspect that they were also following the "If you don't have anything nice to say..." rule. Probably should have done that myself. I apologize.

...and from what I have read here about the problems associated with several top brand weapons ie: the S&W M&Ps' not only in the M&P thread but in the "Are there any reliable handguns" thread.
Those are on the first page. You didn't search at all.

I was advised to stick with Beretta so I researched alot of forums and read a ton of reviews and not one of them had anything negative about the PX4 Storm...
They never do. They don't have the benefit of this forum's membership.

M&P15OR
04-27-11, 15:52
Well I guess it boils down to the fact I bought it and it's on the way so I'll have to judge for myself whether I made a good or a bad choice. I have read several different forums where guys have claimed to have put thousands of rounds through them with not 1 issue and other guys had some problems but nothing major.

PaulL
04-27-11, 16:01
Sorry if I was a prick. If I had an extra 510 bucks I'd buy you an M&P and a few beers.

M&P15OR
04-27-11, 16:30
I have. Lots. Search Button.

Just now saw the thread. I'm truly sorry I didn't see it earlier.

Nobody here spoon-feeds anyone that doesn't even try to find the answer on their own. I suspect that they were also following the "If you don't have anything nice to say..." rule. Probably should have done that myself. I apologize.

Wasn't looking to be spoon fed I asked for personal experience and was advised to look at Beretta, Hk,Sig's, Glock, and S&W's. I have handled all these differnet brands at several gun shops and I was leaning towards the S&W as it fit my hand perfectly personally don't like the feel of a Glock so that took that one out. The issues I read about on multiple forums (sorry but I do look for more than just one source of info) all were nothing really negative with the Beretta and the HK. Now obviously I didn't find the problems with the rotating barrel as linked to above but that must have been quite some time ago as I see no recent issues maybe I should have gone way back into the history of them but I honestly didn't even know they had rotating barrels before this model.

Those are on the first page. You didn't search at all.

Not true you don't have any idea how many hours I spent reading different forums and reviews. If you think I looked at just the first couple pages you're wrong there to. I have been following the M&P thread for quite some time as that was the pistol I had been leaning towards. The are multiple forums though that discuss the problems with the M&P you can't hardly find a forum that doen't have something negative about it so I shied away from it.

o. They don't have the benefit of this forum's membership.

That's one of the reasons I asked here but I sometimes think this forum seems to forget there are other knowledgeable people out there also. I admitted I didn't have any semi-auto handgun experience as I have always had revolvers.

M&P15OR
04-27-11, 16:33
Well obviously the multi qoute didn't work for me :confused:

M&P15OR
04-27-11, 16:36
Sorry if I was a prick. If I had an extra 510 bucks I'd buy you an M&P and a few beers.

While I appreciate the apology and the offer I still wouldn't take the M&P maybe an HK :D

PaulL
04-27-11, 19:14
Sorry, no free P30's this week. Maybe next time...

Silence214
06-17-11, 21:45
Anyone have any experience with this pistol? CDNN has them right now for $299.00. I have done alot of research on them through reviews and they all say they're actually better fit and finish than the original Beretta and these are made with the steel guide rod as opposed to the plastic one Beretta uses now. Supposedly they are made to very stringent specs but we all know how the rumor mill works so I'm asking here for qualified info.

I can report that my $300 AT 92c Turkish piece of crap is running well after 1900 rounds...no failures or issues of any kind.

M&P15OR
06-19-11, 01:36
Kind of what I figured as I found absolutely nothing negative about it except the trigger felt a bit gritty. So far my Beretta PX4 Storm compact has been flawless as well though I only have a few hundred rounds through it. I however have had zero issues with it and I find it's very accurate for me anyway within the first 20 rounds through it at 20 yards out I made a jagged hole that had 3 rounds in it and 3 other holes that all had doubles in them covering less than 2" total. I also had a couple flyers but I know it was me not the pistol but still they were within 4" total with the tight ( for me ) grouping. I could put my palm over all holes completely covering them. I got some snap caps to practice dry shooting and swapping mags quickly. I have never as I said owned a semi-auto handgun before but i find the trigger to be real smooth and an easy pull. So far I'm happy with it.

iCarbine
06-19-11, 11:59
Guns magazine praised it very highly for function and accuracy.

I know nothing about the gun in question, but in my long experience with GUNS Magazine, they praise everything, hence why I'm not renewing my subscription any longer.

Take what you read about most firearms that are evaluated by the common gun rags these days with a large grain of salt. They make lots of money from advertising and while they flat deny it, those dollars absolutely have to influence those lavish reviews.