PDA

View Full Version : lightest weight AR project almost complete

taliv
10-02-07, 20:55
let me preface this by saying this gun is a toy. it's my personal test-lab for gimmicky stuff. I have no illusions that this gun will endure unscathed any sort of stress testing. Further, nothing below should be construed as a recommendation that the gun or any particular part is fit for any particular purpose beyond my own amusement. :)

My goal was a race gun and I wanted to see how light I could get it while maintaining a good balance. I started collecting parts on July 1st and finished today (mostly waiting on barrel delivery).

Total weight 4 lb 15 oz, including aimpoint and larue tall mount and p-mag magazine

The barrel and compensator together weigh 13 oz.

Balance is excellent and it feels a lot like an old A1 style M16, except somewhat lighter.

The parts:
carbon fiber upper receiver
carbon fiber lower receiver
carbon fiber barrel (abs over a rock creek blank, 17", rifle gas length, 1/7 twist, wylde chamber, titanium compensator)
carbon fiber float tube
ace socom stock (by far the heaviest part of the gun, intentionally to help balance)
JP single-stage trigger
low-mass bolt carrier (aluminum)
enidine pneumatic buffer
PRI adjustible gas block
bolt is MP'd and has the BCM parts

I've linked to a picture of the barrel and compensator
(http://thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=64896&d=1191367762)

Between practice, classes and matches, I hope to put 5000 rnds through it by new year's. If anything interesting happens (as i fully expect) I'll try to post some pictures.

LonghunterCO
10-08-07, 08:13
Pictures? This link is given and error for me.

bowkill
10-09-07, 19:58
Link dont work!!

taliv
10-10-07, 07:38
here's the barrel and compensator. I'm modifying the forearm right now, and will post pics of it later.

bowkill
10-10-07, 18:57
Very nice when you get it done you got to show some pictures , giving me ideas.:D