PDA

View Full Version : Unorthodox RDS Zeroing

jmp45
04-23-11, 16:18
I have an Aimpoint Pro on the way and I'd like to get it zeroed into the ballpark before I take it to the range. Currently I have a Vortex Strikefire on a cantilever mount. This seems to make sense to me but I may be way off.. If I remove my troy rear buis and temporarily mount the Pro behind the Strikefire. Turn both on, then adjust the Pro's dot zeroing right over the Strikefire's. Just curious if this would even be possible or a viable method? It would be much faster than a bore sight, especially with the Strikefire already being zeroed. They are both absolute co-witness, and really, would that even matter?

Dano5326
04-23-11, 16:25
If your troy's are zeroed, and absolute cowitness... mount new optic and move dot to tip of irons.

If you mount one optic on a different section of picatinny it will likely be in different spot when mounted to another section.

jmp45
04-23-11, 16:31
Thanks Dano. I was going to do it as you suggested but this occurred to me. They will both fit on the the same upper rail. I thought I could do this first then remove the pro, reset the troy buis, check to make sure it's in the same zero with the Strikefire. Remove the Strikfire, set the Pro and then check it as you said with the irons. Maybe too much work but I thought since the current rds is spot on it might be a faster way to get me there.

TehLlama
04-23-11, 17:14
Just install the new optic and line that up with your irons (at distance preferable). Neither is a really solid zero, but this should have you on paper instantly at 50yd, the same way a good short range zero should have you on at 100m or 200m.

jmp45
04-23-11, 17:42
Thanks guys, will do it with just irons. I thought it might be a little more accurate to prepare zero the other way. Just thinking probably way too much....;)