PDA

View Full Version : AR10 Barrel Break-In

M&P15T
04-24-11, 09:36
I'm sure that this topic has been discussed ad-nauseum before, and that I can use the search function and find some info. What I would like to do is show my uncle this thread in an effort to get him some good info.

My Uncle recently purchased this rifle (http://www.armalite.com/ItemForm.aspx?item=10A4BF&ReturnUrl=Categories.aspx?Category=f4bd4a13-55d1-41aa-aea0-49488ec48776), it's an Armalite AR-10. He is very interested in making sure that he gets the best possible accuracy performance out of it.

He has found break-in procedures for match-grade barrels (on the internet I believe) that details a very strict regime for the first 50 or so rounds. It involves cleaning the barrel after each of the first eight rounds, then cleaning after every 5th round, and so on down the line for the first 50 or so shots. This break-in is meant to remove burrs or other imperfections in the barrel left after the manufacturing process, smooth the barrel internally, and ensure accuracy and longevity.

Reading the specs of the barrel (4140 steel, double lapped, and hard-chromed), I'm wondering about what benefits he can expect to reap by following the detailed break-in procedures to the letter. Is this barrel "match-grade", and if not, what makes a barrel "match-grade"?

Thanks from an M4Carbine.net noob!

Robb Jensen
04-24-11, 09:40
Clean then lube when new.
Go to range.
Shoot rifle.
Come home.
Clean rifle if you so desire.
Repeat as much as you can afford.

CC556
04-24-11, 09:44
Barrel break in threads always get fun.

I don't break in any of my barrels, even the barrels on my bolt guns that I shoot long range matches with. What makes a barrel shoot well and not foul too quickly is the quality of its construction. If you have a good barrel that was made well it will shoot well and clean up easily with no voodoo break in ritual.

Sgt_Gold
04-24-11, 11:19
Barrel break in is part science and part voodoo religious ritual where you need a chicken, some incense, and a brazier. For a chrome lined barrel there is no break in. Just shoot it and clean it. The chrome lining is so hard there is nothing you can do to it short of hitting it with a grinder.

Eurodriver
04-24-11, 14:12
Be sure to clean the barrel before shooting, I do this just in case anything has gotten in the barrel during shipping/production. Unlikely, and with manufacturers test firing their weapons its pretty pointless but its still a good idea.

As far barrel break in? What a joke.

Surf
04-24-11, 17:26
Why not just use the search function and show him the countless other threads where this was discussed ad-nauseum?

CLHC
04-24-11, 17:30
Why not just use the search function and show him the countless other threads where this was discussed ad-nauseum?
Here's one of many threads:

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=11410

Iraqgunz
04-24-11, 20:58
And with that we are a wrap.