PDA

View Full Version : G17RTF2 vs G21

Nephrology
04-24-11, 18:21
So I currently own a G21 with a pair of Ameriglo Hackathorns on it that I like very much. However, my budget for firearms is looking pretty tight in the future, so I am thinking about consolidating to 9mm. I also own a G19.

My buddy owns a G17RTF2 with stock plastic sights that we have been talking about swapping for. I am very much on the fence.

On the one hand, 9mm is much cheaper and I have a good OWB holster that would fit it already. I could also share mags with the G19 for the range. I also like the RTF frame, and have a rear sight (Warren competition) that would fit on the 17 as well. 9mm would also allow me to practice more as it is cheaper, and like I said, my gun budget is going to be tight for the foreseeable future.

On the other hand, I *do* like .45 and the 21, and could probably pick up .45 cheap now and then (Tula and Wolf and such I have seen for ~14/50rds online). It also makes a great house gun. Additionally it is worth more than the 17 and has a really good pair of night sights on it that I wouldn't be able to swap out. I also am not sure if the 17 will shoot much differently than the 19, and am thinking it might just be worth it to shoot the casual IPSC/IDPA match with the 19 and become more proficient with that and wait to buy a 34 instead, and enjoy the 21 at the range from time to time, as well as carry it during the winter OWB for a powerful OWB carry piece.

any thoughts?

malignantbum
04-24-11, 18:37
Start reloading and you can shoot more. I wouldn't make the trade myself. Then again maybe you could ask for the gun and cash to make up the difference.

ActiveShooter
04-24-11, 19:14
I also am not sure if the 17 will shoot much differently than the 19, and am thinking it might just be worth it to shoot the casual IPSC/IDPA match with the 19 and become more proficient with that and wait to buy a 34 instead, and enjoy the 21 at the range from time to time, as well as carry it during the winter OWB for a powerful OWB carry piece.

This is what I would do. I shot IDPA regularly with my 19, even qualified expert with it.

Guns-up.50
04-24-11, 19:53
I have a g17rtf2 and i love it. A nice thing is you would only need to buy one cal of ammo. 9mm with good ammo is a respectable defensive round The sights may be an issue like it was said previously maybe he can flip you some cash. Depending on the conditions of the guns i would make the trade.
goodluck!

mashed68
04-24-11, 20:12
Stick with the manly G21. .45 ammo is not that much more exspensive for typical pistol shooters [not shooting 10,000+rds a year]

Nephrology
04-24-11, 20:13
I have a g17rtf2 and i love it. A nice thing is you would only need to buy one cal of ammo. 9mm with good ammo is a respectable defensive round The sights may be an issue like it was said previously maybe he can flip you some cash. Depending on the conditions of the guns i would make the trade.
goodluck!

He seems a little resistant to the idea of "sweetening the deal" and so I have been a little resistant to making it.... but I do agree, 9mm across the board would be really convenient.

Technically I am closer to consolidating on 45 (I own an RIA tactical 1911 too) but I don't really shoot it much anymore ,except with its .22 conversion kit.

To be fair the RIA has run like a top - nearly 1k rounds of .45 with only 1 hiccup in the first mag - but it's not a serious use gun, so it probably won't get any more .45 through it any time in the future.

Ironbutt
04-24-11, 20:54
Keep the 21. If you get rid of it you'll probably wish you hadn't, sometime down the road.

operator81
04-24-11, 21:08
Keep the 21. The 17 won't give you anything your G19 doesn't already provide. If you're wanting to practice more with a 9mm just use your G19.

nickdrak
04-24-11, 22:00
Stick with the manly G21. .45 ammo is not that much more exspensive for typical pistol shooters [not shooting 10,000+rds a year]

Oh Jeezus....seriously?:rolleyes:

Did I accidently log onto glocktalk or something???

Nephrology
04-24-11, 22:17

Hahaha.

skyugo
04-25-11, 01:11

i feel like i'm below average shooting 5k a year posting on this forum :o

mashed68
04-25-11, 11:45
The manly part was a joke, the amount of ammo typical shooters use was not.

Nephrology
04-25-11, 12:03
The manly part was a joke, the amount of ammo typical shooters use was not.

Understood. I think you are right though, the most I would put t hrough this gun in a year would be ~1k rds. I'll just be content to keep it a low-use shooter until I can afford to change that.

gun71530
04-25-11, 14:47
It's the quality of the training that you get that matters not your round count.....

BaronFitz
04-25-11, 19:48
Keep the G21. While obviously operator dependent, I shoot my G17 fairly well, and I shoot my G21 very well in comparison. The grip fills my hand better.

The G17 doesn't add enough capability over and above the G19 to make it worth ditching the G21 for. If you're bent on getting another 9mm for caliber standardization, go with the G34. You at least get a slightly longer sight radius than the G17.

Paul45
04-25-11, 20:20
I have 2 of each. The 17's are the game guns (GSSF, IDPA, USPSA). The 21SF's are the home defense guns - one in the bedroom, one in the sitting room - both with lights. If I had to choose, it would be the G21. Nothing says "GO AWAY" better than the barrel of a 45. 27% more diamiter than a 9mm, over 60% more frontal area and about twice the bullet wt plus the g21 shoots great.

If you have a choice, why not stick with the .45acp?

Nephrology
04-25-11, 22:16
I have 2 of each. The 17's are the game guns (GSSF, IDPA, USPSA). The 21SF's are the home defense guns - one in the bedroom, one in the sitting room - both with lights. If I had to choose, it would be the G21. Nothing says "GO AWAY" better than the barrel of a 45. 27% more diamiter than a 9mm, over 60% more frontal area and about twice the bullet wt plus the g21 shoots great.

If you have a choice, why not stick with the .45acp?

Yeah it's true. I just don't want to have to, for budgetary reasons, leave the 21 in the safe...

However I'd rather just shoot slightly less at this point and keep the 21. It really does feel damn good in my hands. My 19 has ~5k rounds down the pipe and it is stone cold reliable (like all gen3 glock 19s). I've heard larry Vickers criticize the 21 for being unreliable which is another reason that I have considered swapping it. I had a few problems with light strikes in the beginning with the gun, but they were all on my buddy's reloads - everything else fed fine, so I am now pretty convinced I will keep the 21. The 17 doesnt feel like that big of a positive advantage to me. If he threw in 100 bucks worth of ammo, I might be more inclined to make the trade but he doesn't seem to be into that idea.

Paul45
04-26-11, 08:14
Both of my G21 SF's have over 7500 rounds thru them. Both went thru IDPA and USPSA and plenty of practice before there ended up as home defense.
The G21's have a very good record - it's your choice - you asked, we responded. You already have a 9mm that works great so your only isse is price of ammo - we can't help you with that - but the BENEFITS OF A 45ACP vs 9mm.
Pay your money - take your pick - they all work but not necessarily at the same performance level.
Would I feel comfortable pretecting my life with a quality 9mm and a good 127 +P+ load - ABSOLUTELY. If I had a choice to use a quality .45 acp firearm with a premium performance load, I would jump at it in a NY minute. It's worth the +/- $5 a boxdifference. Cheaper than a body guard.

Magic_Salad0892
04-26-11, 08:58
If you're gonna get another 9x19 Glock, get another G19, or G26.

Nephrology
04-26-11, 11:45
Both of my G21 SF's have over 7500 rounds thru them. Both went thru IDPA and USPSA and plenty of practice before there ended up as home defense.
The G21's have a very good record - it's your choice - you asked, we responded. You already have a 9mm that works great so your only isse is price of ammo - we can't help you with that - but the BENEFITS OF A 45ACP vs 9mm.
Pay your money - take your pick - they all work but not necessarily at the same performance level.
Would I feel comfortable pretecting my life with a quality 9mm and a good 127 +P+ load - ABSOLUTELY. If I had a choice to use a quality .45 acp firearm with a premium performance load, I would jump at it in a NY minute. It's worth the +/- $5 a boxdifference. Cheaper than a body guard.

Yup - I do appreciate the advice, don't get me wrong. just trying to get a good sample of reasons and opinions here.

I think the biggest thing persuading me to keep the 21 is that the 17 really isnt that different. The 19 sits better in my hand anyway. It will be very nice to carry the 21 once winter time rolls around. I want to put some more ammo through it before I carry it but the gun does feel solid, and ate every round of factory ammo I had through it. didn't like my buddy's reloads so much - light strikes - but he is not exactly the um, most attentive at reloading, shall we say.

BaronFitz
04-26-11, 21:53
didn't like my buddy's reloads so much - light strikes - but he is not exactly the um, most attentive at reloading, shall we say.

If he's not attentive with reloading, I wouldn't shoot ammo he's reloaded. I have a buddy who had the mag blow out the bottom of his G30 and had the slide stop go whizzing past his face because he was using carelessly reloaded ammo.

Nephrology
04-26-11, 22:17
If he's not attentive with reloading, I wouldn't shoot ammo he's reloaded. I have a buddy who had the mag blow out the bottom of his G30 and had the slide stop go whizzing past his face because he was using carelessly reloaded ammo.

His stuff is generally fine. I've never had a failure with it apart from the light strikes. I think he didnt catch that the primers weren't 100% seated because he shoots them out of a CZ97, and not a striker fired pistol.