PDA

View Full Version : 870 sling setup? single, dual, or 3 point?

thatpanda
04-24-11, 19:53
Hi guys, I'm in the market for a new sling setup for my 870. I currently have on the gun a VTAC sling with buttstock adapter and a wilson 2 round extension with sling plate on the front. the current setup is just not working out for me. when transitioning to pistol, the rear of the sling feels like its wrapping around my neck and the shotgun kinda flops to the side and sits at a weird angle when slung.

The ideal setup for me would be for the sling to sit near vertical in front of me when transitioning to pistol and have it not twist or flop around too much when slung. The VCAS sling I have on my BCM is absolutely perfect when when attached to a TD PR4, and a DD QD rail mounted all the way back in the 9 o clock position. Unfortunately I cant seem to find a sling/mount system that mimicks this setup on a shotgun. Two slings I'm looking at are either a magpul single point on a rear receiver endplate, or the wilderness giles sling which looks like a 3 point to me. I'm leaning more towards the giles sling.

what are you guys running on your shotguns and why? what would you recommend for me based on my criteria?

kmrtnsn
04-24-11, 20:30
I run a 14.5 SBS 870. I have on occasion run a single point but personally find that the platform is way too long for a single point and too heavy for a single point bungee setup. With the spread on most 870 attachment points I think a two point system, like the VTAC and the BF are great options for the 870 as well as the AR.

Ironbutt
04-24-11, 20:42
We have single point slings attached by receiver end attachment points on our 870's. They work well for us because we transition back & forth from strong to weak side shooting frequently. A single point sling can do that much faster than a 2 or 3 point. Other than that, I don't have much use for a single point sling.

lonewolf21
04-24-11, 20:55
I think it depends on stock/barrel length. I was using a 2 pt with speedfeed pistol grip stock and 18' barrel. That worked fairly well but have since changed to a hogue shortstock and ggg endplate with wilderness single point. This setup is final for me! It balances the gun out nicely with the shorter/standard type stock. It's all trial and error I suppose.

JEL458
04-24-11, 21:24
I run a padded BFG VCAS on my work 14" 870. It is attached to a WC 1 rd extension on the front and a GG&G endplate at the rear of the receiver/front of the stock. The stock is a SpeedFeed Tac IVs pistol grip stock.

I turn the SG inboard, similar to what Pat Rogers and others teach for the carbine, when I transition. It captures it right where I put it.

I previously ran the Wilderness single point from the GGG endplate, but tired of my balls aching when I had to use my hands.

Perhaps trying the VTAC attached to the end plate mount will solve your problem?

thatpanda
04-25-11, 22:25
I think I need to just try out a few different setups and see which one's work the best for me. Looking back and thinking about it, a single doesn't seem to be the answer, so I'm going to try the Giles sling and buttstock mount and experiment with that and the vtac sling I already have.

thanks for all the replies

Norcal911
04-26-11, 13:33
I run a VTAC sling on my work MRP but I've been struggling with how to adapt it to my shotgun. Work issues a 3pt on our 870's which I absolutely hate. It just gets in the way and transitions (strong to support) are impossible, at least for me. I do really like my VTAC sling and its on QD's. I can attach all up and down my MRP so it can go from basically a single point to a two point on a variety of different connections. Basically I like it because I can adjust it about 5 different ways and make it work for what I'm wearing, what the conditions are, etc. That being said, I set out to make my VTAC on QD's work for my shotgun, not only because I like the sling but because I could go back and forth from rifle to shotgun in the same sling. I added the mesa tactical barrel clamp which gives a QD socket on either side of my magazine extension. Then I took my Remington stock apart and epoxied in 2 QD cups into the butstock on either side near the top rear. They are almost flush and so far have not broken. After they were set I backfilled the stock with expanding foam. Now I have ambi QD receivers at front and back and I can take one sling to either gun. Only addition I'm planning is the GGG (I think?) plate that offers a QD cup right at the joint of the stock and receiver. That will give me an intermediate attachment point so I will have more options. I'm happy with the system so far. More testing is in order before I give a final opinion but I've been meaning to do this for awhile and I think I'm on the right track Good luck-Norcal911

bmyk
04-27-11, 10:45
I have reached the conclusion that a two point works best for me, rifle, carbine and shotgun. I like to carry with the stock on my strong shoulder and the muzzle down on the support side. I do have Specter Gear 3 pt slings on two shotguns. They are great kit, but I always use them in a simple 2 pt carry. On my carbine, I have the VTAC and really like it. I tried the MAGPUL sling and did not care for it to the point of swapping the hardware to smash clips, so basically it is a very expensive 2 pt sling now.
I am an average Joe who likes to shoot and get training when I can.

NavyDavy55
05-14-11, 10:58
Having just attended a handgun/shotgun class this past week, I'm switching to a single point sling.

For me, it provides easier transition to support hand.

LHS
05-14-11, 17:31
I run a Wilderness single-point from a GG&G receiver plate. When I transition, I tend to retain control of the shotgun with my support hand, or go inboard a la Pat Rogers. If you just let it drop, it will Bangkok you. I tried running two-points, but I just didn't like the sling running along my forearm as I cycled the weapon.

readyme
06-03-11, 22:31
I want to setup my 870 like Norcal911 has described.
I want to run a 2 point, but attachment has had me unhappy for a while.
I have a GGG front sling attachment that seems to work, but sticks out a bit to the left side of the shotgun. My other attachment point is a DD sling plate between the receiver and the buttstock. This is the one I do not like. I want my rear attachment to be farther towards the rear of buttstock. At its current location, the stock hangs away from my body and pulls the shotgun. Also, it adds a small but noticeable lengthening of pull....really hate that.
So now I am trying to figure out how to install flush QD cups towards the rear of my buttstock.

sinjinhawk
06-29-11, 23:20
I use a Wilderness 2-pt sling. I keep it simple and works for me.

w3453l
07-10-11, 00:55
2 point sling, keep it simple, less margin for error

starlight_cdn
07-13-11, 11:06
Run the same sling on your shottie as you do on your carbine. Do not retrain yourself between platforms. Under stress you will default to the skill you have mastered (ie, the sling system you have the most time on).

Maintain consistency with your transitions. Running the same sling set-up between platforms will allow this....

Dennis
07-13-11, 18:03
I run BFG VCAS slings on most everything, including my duty 870. Unfortunately I am not allowed to run a receiver end plate so I created my own sling point on the stock right behind where my hand goes on my short pistol grip Speedfeed stock, basically at the front edge of my buttstock shell carrier. I think a forward rear sling location is an important part of making a long gun easier to maneuver.

After running an 870 hard in several classes and training days I truly think that a single point sling has merit with a pump gun. It gets the sling out of your way for pumping, reloads, and makes for easier transitions, both shoulder and to a secondary. To accomplish this I use a zip tied Fastex buckle as the front sling attachment so that I can easily convert between two and single point by just unclipping it and re-clipping it to another one located by my rear sling point.

Dennis.

readyme
07-15-11, 17:52
I run BFG VCAS slings on most everything, including my duty 870. Unfortunately I am not allowed to run a receiver end plate so I created my own sling point on the stock right behind where my hand goes on my short pistol grip Speedfeed stock, basically at the front edge of my buttstock shell carrier. I think a forward rear sling location is an important part of making a long gun easier to maneuver.

After running an 870 hard in several classes and training days I truly think that a single point sling has merit with a pump gun. It gets the sling out of your way for pumping, reloads, and makes for easier transitions, both shoulder and to a secondary. To accomplish this I use a zip tied Fastex buckle as the front sling attachment so that I can easily convert between two and single point by just unclipping it and re-clipping it to another one located by my rear sling point.

Dennis.

Sounds interesting....do you have any pics?

hossb7
07-15-11, 22:18
This is how mine is set up now:

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i231/hossb7/guns/IMG-20110715-00067.jpg

I'm taking a LMS 1-day Shotgun clinic at the end of the month and I look forward to seeing how it works out.

thatpanda
07-16-11, 11:39
hossb7 I just ordered an urbino stock so I could set my VTAC sling up just like yours. how do you like the setup? I just signed up for Rob Haughts class in October, and I think your setup would be ideal for me. Thanks for all the replys

hossb7
07-17-11, 01:20
It's cool so far, but I've only been messing with it at home. I'll post more about how I like it after my class.

stitchclimber
07-29-11, 20:14
I rock a Gear Sector 2pt sling on my 20" 870.
Front attached at the tube, and rear via QD point on the stock.

It works great for me.

readyme
07-29-11, 20:33
Front attached to the tube? Like a sling loop at the mag tube cap?

I rock a Gear Sector 2pt sling on my 20" 870.
Front attached at the tube, and rear via QD point on the stock.

It works great for me.

stitchclimber
07-30-11, 01:34
Front attached to the tube? Like a sling loop at the mag tube cap?

yes...

Dennis
09-02-11, 16:24

Dennis.

Ok, finally some pics!

Here is the front mount. The zip ties are fastened in a way that the Fastex buckle CANNOT move in the way of the pump. This has held up across 2 different duty shotguns over several years including a couple Haught classes and Dept. training. You could always backup with lockwire.
http://i923.photobucket.com/albums/ad74/stocknum/870FrontSling.jpg

Here is the rear mount. I used a small loop of webbing and 3 super duper zip ties through the front of the velcro buttcuff to create a mounting point that works for both single and 2 point slings. While not pretty, it actually creates a lower profile mounting point than a typical metal sling loop.
http://i923.photobucket.com/albums/ad74/stocknum/870RearSling1.jpg

This shows how the rear Fastex buckle is attached to allow for 2 to 1 point conversion.
http://i923.photobucket.com/albums/ad74/stocknum/870RearSling2.jpg

Enjoy!

Dennis.

readyme
09-02-11, 17:13
Dennis, that really is a sweet setup. Like you said, not pretty but effective.
Did you use an AR buttcuff to create the rear sling attachment? Once I figure that part out, I will have to give your system a try.

Dennis
09-02-11, 17:30
Dennis, that really is a sweet setup. Like you said, not pretty but effective.
Did you use an AR buttcuff to create the rear sling attachment? Once I figure that part out, I will have to give your system a try.

I can't find exactly what I have, but it is basically like this one except with velcro instead of elastic loops.
http://www.tacticaltailor.com/stockshotgunshellholder.aspx

Then with the velcro you can use these to hold the ammo, and have extras available including velcro'd to your vest.
http://www.skdtac.com/Esstac_Shotgun_Card_p/ess.106.htm

I found this too, but is probably easily made at home as well.
http://www.rem870.com/2011/06/01/tactical-sling-velcro-adapter-attachment-stock-mount-for-remington-870/

However, the tendency will be for the mounting point to slide down the stock and towards your grip area. That's why anchoring it to the front of a buff cuff (that is secured at the rear) works to keep your mounting point at the correct location and not too far forward or back.

Dennis.

jgcl05@yahoo.com
09-06-11, 13:21
Right now, I'm runing a Mesa Tactical AR-stock adapter on my 870 and I've got a Magpul MS2 run single point to the QD mounted to the stock adapter. I don't mind the single point with the shotgun, but I'd rather have something a little more sturdy when I'm not handling the weapon. Still looking for a sling mount for the front end of the gun to use it as a 2-point sling.