PDA

View Full Version : concealed carry

right_to_bear_arms
04-25-11, 10:21
New to the forum and wanted to say hello to all.Thinking about getting Kimber Solo and was wondering about experiences people have had with them.Are they worth getting?

Sensei
04-25-11, 12:03
You are probably not going to find a lot of love for Kimber around here. There are less expensive / more reliable alternatives such as the Glock 26 and M&P9c.

Nephrology
04-25-11, 12:06
Agreed. Do not buy something unproven from a company with a spotty record. Either of the subcompact 9mms listed above would be a better choice.

the walther PPS is another good compact 9mm. single stack, so it is very slim.

sammage
04-25-11, 12:38
Would definitely echo the others and recommend a pistol with a proven track record.

oldtexan
04-25-11, 13:09
New to the forum and wanted to say hello to all.Thinking about getting Kimber Solo and was wondering about experiences people have had with them.Are they worth getting?

My experience with Kimber (three .45 1911s bought new about 7 years ago) has convinced me to never give them any more of my money. Those 3 guns had too many reliability and durability issues for me to trust a Kimber product again.

Because of Kimber's spotty reputation, my advice would be to wait until the Solo proves itself (if it ever does) or get a gun that is already proven.

There are many proven good single stack 9mm guns on the market. We have two 9mm PPS and three Kahr 9mm (PM9, K9, and TP9). The PPS each have about 1100 rds through them, the K9 and TP9 each about 800 rds, and the PM9 about 2100 rds. The PPS are my slight favorites but the Kahrs are IMO good guns as well. The Walther is bigger than the Solo IIRC, but would conceal very well as an IWB gun. IMO the PPS is too big and shaped wrong (square profile on rear of slide) to serve as a good pocket gun.

I do believe that the PM9-size Kahrs are on the ragged edge of how small a 9mm can be built and still be more or less reliable. Mine has had numerous issues with failure to return to battery. It developed a serious barrel peening problem at about 1800 rds and had to go back to Kahr to have its whole top half replaced. It seems pretty reliable now, but I don't recommend the PM9-size guns. Our K9 and TP9 have been noticeably more reliable than the PM9, and about as reliable as our two PPS. From experience with the K9 and PM9, I believe that Kahrs need new recoil springs about every 800 rds or so. Any of the Kahrs would be good as IWB carry guns, and all, IMO, even the PM9, are too big for most pockets.

right_to_bear_arms
04-25-11, 14:52
Glock 26 is one that I am concedering for my cc but at the same time I like the whole single stack slimness on some of these 9mm.Walther PPS was another one I was going to ask about and I see it must be a pretty reliable one.Thanks for the info.Please keep it coming.

Nephrology
04-25-11, 15:02
Glock 26 is one that I am concedering for my cc but at the same time I like the whole single stack slimness on some of these 9mm.Walther PPS was another one I was going to ask about and I see it must be a pretty reliable one.Thanks for the info.Please keep it coming.

Of all the guns listed so far, the G26 and the PPS are my 2 favorite. Very similar 'safe action' triggers, both very light, both very concealable with fairly similar magazine capacity. Just gotta decide if you like short and squat vs tall and thin. I would have a hard time deciding between the two - see if you can't rent them both and put a box or 2 through them to help you decide.

John_Wayne777
04-25-11, 15:12
I would have reservations about the "solo" not really because of the brand name, but because it's a new gun. That means not many people have them, not many people have run them hard...so it's a higher risk purchase than something like a Glock 26. It's not a cheap purchase, either.

Getting an expensive paperweight isn't really anyone's cup of tea.

porider
04-25-11, 15:46
OK, I might get flamed for this but I've never had any issues with reliability with my Kimbers. Yup I said it. Did not matter if it was a Series II or Series I, Ultra, Compact or Govt models, all of them kept on shooting. Ammo Used where Fed 45 auto from wally world and Hornady XTP handloads as well as Winchester 45 HPs. All of them functioned like a champ. Maybe my secret to success was to never use the factory mags? I've always put Wilson mags in all my 1911s both officer and govt.

Now the Kimber "customer service" is another thing! They Suck! The only other customer service worse is the USPS.

Now for the Kimber Solo in question. I would not get it. why? It's a new nomenclature and I would not want to talk to "customer service" if I had any issues with this new platform.

Solution! Get an STI 1911 in 9mm. The pistols are Very Well Built and the customer service is TOP notch.

Just my 2cents!

DeusExMachina
04-25-11, 15:54
I disagree about M&Pc and G26/27/etc. Magazine changes are difficult while holding a grip extension, and without a grip extension you're holding on without a full hand.

I recently made the choice to a G19 and it's perfect. I can shoot it all day and conceal it better than the PM9 I had bought to pocket carry.

Unfortunately S&W doesn't make anything in a similar size, but the Glock has a better trigger anyway.

When looking for a PM9, I was looking at the Solo and the Sig P290 and decided if I was going to trust my life on something, it wasn't going to be a first-run gun.

Uglyguns
04-25-11, 16:50
Thinking about getting Kimber, are they worth getting?

No.:nono:

V/r
Uglyguns

GIJew766
04-25-11, 17:20

No.:nono:
V/r
Uglyguns

I just saw what Kimber was asking for in their "Custom Shop" stuff simply out of curiosity. $2300 and change for one of them? Seriously, the new Fusion built to my exact specs is about the same price without the worry of it being a pile of shit.

Kimbers ain't worth the money. Not anymore at least. Spend the money on something quality. This ain't something I would normally say, but buy yourself a Glock 19 or 26 if you're looking for a solid 9mm to carry.

H

opmike
04-25-11, 18:10
As was mentioned earlier, my biggest reservation is that it's a new gun.

New guns are more of an unknown quantity, and with a literal plethora of established options available, there's no point in getting a brand new design unless you just want to be a special flower.

skyugo
04-25-11, 18:19

the 26 shoots like a dream... though iv'e discovered a 19 in the right holster is just as concealable and shoots even better. I'm currently using a custom atomic dog holster for my g19 and could not be happier. Brian from Atomic Dog posts here as "joe smith" i think.

the PPS is definitely a darling of the forum lately. They sure are thin!
another cool single stack to check out is the HK p7. parts are expensive and somewhat hard to find though. Not a lot smaller than a g19 either, though thinner.

DeusExMachina
04-25-11, 18:21
the 26 shoots like a dream... though iv'e discovered a 19 in the right holster is just as concealable and shoots even better. I'm currently using a custom atomic dog holster for my g19 and could not be happier. Brian from Atomic Dog posts here as "joe smith" i think.

the PPS is definitely a darling of the forum lately. They sure are thin!
another cool single stack to check out is the HK p7. parts are expensive and somewhat hard to find though. Not a lot smaller than a g19 either, though thinner.

I've got my G19 in a Galco Kingtuck and it's a dream.

GIJew766
04-25-11, 18:33
Glocks ride nice in SideArmor holsters. I love their stuff. My railed 1911s run with lights and ride in their Kydex. I dig it.

H

skyugo
04-25-11, 19:09
I've got my G19 in a Galco Kingtuck and it's a dream.

anything somewhat adjustable for cant/ride height with widely spaced clips seems to be helpful.

romanowe
04-26-11, 09:25
Avoid the Solo if you plan on carrying it soon. Kimber still appears to be working some issues out of it.

pdb
04-26-11, 17:05
Kimber says the Solo is 1.2" wide: http://www.kimberamerica.com/solo

Glock says the G19 is 1.18" wide: http://www.glock.com/english/glock19_tech.htm

If the 'slimness' is all in the grip, it's not going to help concealment all that much, and it'll be more difficult to shoot well, and you're gonna leave 9 rounds at home. And you'll pay more to do it, finding magazines and holsters to fit is going to be a pain, getting spare parts will be more difficult, Kimber's post-sale service isn't all that great, etc.

Buy the G19 or G26 and take a class.

citizensoldier16
04-26-11, 18:58
My opinion is pretty much the same as you've read above. Get a Glock and be done with it. Don't worry about customizing it. Take the money you'd spend on things with fancy names that don't really do much and spend it on ammo and training. Shoot 1000 rounds through the gun, drawing and firing each time from concealment. Then go out a buy 1000 more rounds and do the same thing until it becomes muscle memory. Do this about 3 times, then clean it. :D

Robc1219
04-26-11, 19:04
Agree with the G19. I use it and carry it. It eats anything and i like the trigger. i am buying the HK P30 V3 soon to replace the G19 as my primary carry, its a little thinner and i want the SA/DA option. My Kimber Pro Raptor II is a top notch 1911, but I perfer polymer type semi auto's in .40 or 9mm...just my thoughts...

skyugo
04-26-11, 22:06
i almost feel bad for these new guys... they come in all "should i buy a lotus espirit!?!" and we're all "buy a toyota" :o

thing is glocks handle a hell of a lot better than toyotas. :D

GIJew766
04-27-11, 05:50
My Kimber Pro Raptor II is a top notch 1911...

If you're happy with your Pro Raptor II, awesome, but it is far from the realm of "top notch." Nighthawk, Fusion, Wilson, Rogers, etc.

H

Robc1219
04-27-11, 06:14
If you're happy with your Pro Raptor II, awesome, but it is far from the realm of "top notch." Nighthawk, Fusion, Wilson, Rogers, etc.

H

Well, I am happy with it if it's dead on accurate, hair trigger, eats all ammo/functions flawlessly, etc... to each his own, but I fired 2 wilsons and wasn't any more impressed other than it costs over $1000 more...My Kimber might night be 'Nighthawk' but it's my Mercedes of 1911's...

right_to_bear_arms
04-27-11, 19:58
i almost feel bad for these new guys... they come in all "should i buy a lotus espirit!?!" and we're all "buy a toyota" :o

thing is glocks handle a hell of a lot better than toyotas. :D
I was just wondering if they were any good.I do own a glock and agree,they are a great gun.If others had great experiences with the Kimber,I was going to give it a try.Havent heard anything good about it,so I am going to do the smart thing and stick with glock.

Nephrology
04-27-11, 20:08
Havent heard anything good about it,so I am going to do the smart thing and stick with glock.

Good! You'll thank yourself later.

skyugo
04-28-11, 00:40
I was just wondering if they were any good.I do own a glock and agree,they are a great gun.If others had great experiences with the Kimber,I was going to give it a try.Havent heard anything good about it,so I am going to do the smart thing and stick with glock.

understandable. i too have strayed from the faithful glock a bit... bought a p7... i like it too... but it'll be a cold day in hell when i sell my last glock.

if you've got a hankering for a steel single stack kahr and hk P7's are really nice...

carbinero
05-13-11, 21:47
I also have looked closely at the Solo before returning my thoughts to the G26 to be satisfied. Nothing is smaller that I trust as well. If I can carry larger, G19. That said, enjoy this chart...

http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/defensive-carry-guns/118934-comparison-charts-kimber-solo-vs.html

Nytcrawler93
05-14-11, 15:16
My 2 cents worth is go Glock 19 or xdm 3.8 compact. Both have been very reliable regardless of what I try to feed it. It seems to me to be just as easy to conceal these two as the subcompacts and they seem to shoot better for me.

bubba04
05-14-11, 15:51
G19 or G26 or a H&K P7 PSP are good carry guns.

WillBrink
05-14-11, 16:29
New to the forum and wanted to say hello to all.Thinking about getting Kimber Solo

How long have you had that problem? :sarcastic:

Sorry, couldn't resist.

SiGfever
05-14-11, 17:49
As stated, it is tough to beat a Glock 19. The are super reliable and a pleasure to shoot. I put an Ameriglo "ProGlo" orange/green front and the "Pro Operators" in yellow on the rear along with the Glock OEM (-) connector. Go to a range that rents pistols and try several to see what you like and shoot the best. Remember, pretty does not make a pistol shoot better! Good Luck on your journey.

AMMOTECH
05-14-11, 18:20
If you must have a .45 then the G36 would be a good pick.
I've carried a G19 CCW on and off over the last 20 years. (the same one) but the last two years I've been packin' a G36 in a Cross Breed supertuck. Rides well, easy to cover and light weight.

http://www.crossbreedholsters.com/IWB/tabid/56/CategoryID/1/List/0/Level/1/ProductID/1/Default.aspx?SortField=ProductName,ProductName

http://www.glock.com/english/glock36.htm

vigilant2
05-14-11, 19:13
G19 or G26 or a H&K P7 PSP are good carry guns.

This ! Could'nt have said it better !