PDA

View Full Version : NIB Mid-size M&P45 slide stop/release problem

grimm
04-25-11, 12:23
Just got a new mid M&P45, then after a new gun once over, I function checked it. I locked the slide back, then released tried to release it, lo and behold, it would budge about 1mm and then nothing. I have to use both my thumb and trigger finger assisting on the other side before it releases. I already polished the face of the slide stop very carefully so as to not change any angles and it still hangs up on the slot in the slide as if there is a lip on it. Anybody encountered something like this before. Thanks.

rathos
04-25-11, 16:04
Yup pretty common with M&Ps. That is why I use mine as a slide stop and not a slide release. Every one of them I have owned has been almost impossible to release, even after a lot of rounds.

bleaman225
04-25-11, 16:11
Interesting, I have not seen that with any of my M&Ps I own or have owned.

Is this anytime you're trying to release the slide? Examples: no mag inserted, loaded mag inserted or just on an empty mag?

DeusExMachina
04-25-11, 16:13
Mine had this problem when new. After just messing around with it on the couch, it loosened up and I was able to drop the slide with my thumb. A friend had his M&P9c do the same thing, but it was fine after a trip to the range.

grimm
04-25-11, 18:11

Is this anytime you're trying to release the slide? Examples: no mag inserted, loaded mag inserted or just on an empty mag?

Doesn't matter when. It seems that there is something on the slide notch that is catching. I am almost tempted to stone it. The release is easy to replace if I mess it up stoning, not so much for the slide. I don't see how this will get better by shooting it. I'll probably just send it back. And yes, I like using the slide stop/release as a release. :)

DeusExMachina
04-25-11, 18:14
I think its just the fresh melonite being rough. Lock the slide back, push the slide release down (with two fingers or whatever you have to). Repeat about 5-10 times it should definitely ease up.

If not, any competent gunsmith should be able to smooth it...I remember having to do this with a Kel-tec P11 but to a greater extreme with some emery cloth.

MookNW
04-25-11, 18:16
Never had this problem with my fs9, but I rented a 9c at my range (with thumb safety) and had the same problems you are experiencing.

mtdawg169
04-25-11, 18:18
Shoot it. It will wear in.

ralph
04-25-11, 19:18
As everyone else has said, keep shooting it and it will wear in, no need to hit it with files, stones or anything else..My Midsize was the same way when new, I had to use both thumbs to get it to release...Now I can easily release the slide from either side with my finger..Run 3-400rnds through it, you should see an improvement..

JHC
04-25-11, 19:23
As everyone else has said, keep shooting it and it will wear in, no need to hit it with files, stones or anything else..My Midsize was the same way when new, I had to use both thumbs to get it to release...Now I can easily release the slide from either side with my finger..Run 3-400rnds through it, you should see an improvement..

ralph and others comments jive what I've read on similiar threads on the M&P forum. The Pro 9 I had exhibited no similiar problem; in fact it was the fastest, smoothest reloading pistol I've ever run.

Watrdawg
04-25-11, 19:31
I have a M&P 45
Mid also and I have to use 2 thumbs to get it to release. Almost impossible with one thumb. Whenever I do reload and have to release the slide I just pull the slide back and let it slam forward. No big deal and doesn't slow me down with quick reloads at all.