PDA

View Full Version : Which AR-10...non defensive application

Artos
04-25-11, 13:18
...tried the search but this is strictly for a hunting application. I have a friend / customer who has access to some prime Nilgai hunting and they are kinda taking over some of these areas along the texas coast just like the wild pigs.

He needs a gun to shoot on the run and is leaning to the AR-10. For a non primary defensive weapon & thinking of a truck gun, which one would you choose??

I told him the 308 the way to go?? These animals can reach 700lbs but you do not want too much recoil for follow up shots and it will be a truck gun and would like to keep the bbl under 20"

Accuracy is important for that first shot of course.

thanks!!!

SHIVAN
04-25-11, 13:45
He is looking at the Armalite, or 308 case sized AR's in general?

If sectional density is a concern, with penetration, he could always get a 338 Federal version of the DPMS LR338 or Armalite AR10(T).

The ballistics suffer quite a bit in a 16" bbl, but in a 22"-24" test barrel the 338Fed carries close to a 7mm Rem Mag.

The 308 with gamekings or barnes TSX should be plenty as these are still in the antelope family, and should have relatively thin skin/cross section to vitals.

I'd say an Armalite AR-10 with SS 16" barrel would be a beast for this application.

RyanB
04-25-11, 13:54
Armalite has the lightweight chrome barrels. I'd get that, pin on a light gas block and put a Troy TRX on it to float it. But that's me.

J-Dub
04-25-11, 15:48
You could tell him to checkout the Larue Tactical PredatAR .308

It would make a very sweet hunting rig.

Artos
04-25-11, 18:45
He is looking at the Armalite, or 308 case sized AR's in general?

If sectional density is a concern, with penetration, he could always get a 338 Federal version of the DPMS LR338 or Armalite AR10(T).

The ballistics suffer quite a bit in a 16" bbl, but in a 22"-24" test barrel the 338Fed carries close to a 7mm Rem Mag.

The 308 with gamekings or barnes TSX should be plenty as these are still in the antelope family, and should have relatively thin skin/cross section to vitals.

I'd say an Armalite AR-10 with SS 16" barrel would be a beast for this application.

Thanks...this helps.

I have to eat some crow on this one as the hunting conditions are WAY different than I 'assumed'...the poi starts at 250-300 if you are lucky & almost always on the move once seen. Trucks are not the main transportation either.:)

I already asked if there ae any small critters to shoot with 12.5sbr at 100-200;) if I help find him the gun.

Turns out the gun he shot was a 308 rra but not sure of the model....he remembers discussing the 338 too.

gracias for all the replies...

SHIVAN
04-25-11, 19:00
308 should still be plenty in an autoloader, unless he is getting out to 500yds with a shot, which may not be best for hunting in general.

When we were gathering info for pronghorn antelope hunting in Wyoming, we got very similar stories about 200-400yd shots being the norm, and yet I've seen five shot under 200yds in two years.

The sixth should have been shot under 100yds as well, but I missed -- twice. In my defense, there were full+ value crosswinds to contend with...:blink:....AND I did end up killing him with my third shot from prone in the same wind quartering towards me @ 308yds. First shot was 98yds offhand, second was 180yds kneeling, and third was 308yds prone, semi-supported.