PDA

View Full Version : Larue Index Clips VS. Ladder Rail Covers

Jellybean
04-25-11, 17:21
I just saw these on Larue's site, and after a quick search of some posts on here these really caught my attention.

Honestly, I am getting pissed at the thought of having to pay 10-12 bucks for 1 ladder rail cover. I'm running a midlength, and 20-24 bucks to cover one side is really pushing it.
Yes, I know there are other options- I recently got a great deal from G&R on XTM panels. However, I still want something a little more low profile for the top and bottom rail portions.

I saw these, and noticed that not only to they seem slightly more reasonably priced (in the sense of, I'll cover more area with only 1 tin),but also I won't have to cut & paste to get a full length fit.

Basically my thought is this- these look cool, unique, and durable. But it seems not a whole lot of folks use them. Standard ladder covers are still more widespread.
Is this simply because not a whole lot of people know about the Index Clips yet? Or are there other reasons?

Byrd
04-25-11, 17:29
Ladder panels for $5 each: http://www.botachtactical.com/falowprraco.html

Mr. Biggles
04-25-11, 17:48
Not only are they $11.35 a piece, but you'd also have to pay shipping. :laugh:

Rail covers can be pricey. I think I'll be picking some up from LaRue soon enough, because I'll be ordering a few other things from them.

If LaRue's too rich for your blood, be sure to keep an eye out for rail covers in the AR Rail Systems & Accessories under Equipment Exchange (http://m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=112).

I just saw these on Larue's site, and after a quick search of some posts on here these really caught my attention.

Honestly, I am getting pissed at the thought of having to pay 10-12 bucks for 1 ladder rail cover. I'm running a midlength, and 20-24 bucks to cover one side is really pushing it.
Yes, I know there are other options- I recently got a great deal from G&R on XTM panels. However, I still want something a little more low profile for the top and bottom rail portions.

I saw these, and noticed that not only to they seem slightly more reasonably priced (in the sense of, I'll cover more area with only 1 tin),but also I won't have to cut & paste to get a full length fit.

Basically my thought is this- these look cool, unique, and durable. But it seems not a whole lot of folks use them. Standard ladder covers are still more widespread.
Is this simply because not a whole lot of people know about the Index Clips yet? Or are there other reasons?

Byrd
04-25-11, 17:57

I bought several of the $5 Falcon brand US made ladder panels from Botach. Very comfortable and have a snug fit on the rail. They have a nice texture to them, almost rubbery in feeling, but not as soft.

markm
04-25-11, 18:05
Jump into my Index Clip thread.

(buy them! You won't go back to crappy ladder covers again!)

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=78978

Skang
04-25-11, 19:35
Larue Index clip has almost same height as Magpul XTM covers. Just skinnier.

I only run them on bottom rail. And ladders on sides.

TehLlama
04-25-11, 20:02
The cost was never a deterrent for me, but the index clips just feel better (more roundness), and it's easier to run them up against other rail mounted stuff. The low cost just means that Index Clips will start displacing other rail covers I have.

Purplepick
04-25-11, 20:26
One thing you will get with the index clip over the ladder is the ability to tuck in and line up your wires for your lights and lasers, I think that is key if you are running dual lights or some type of IR device. Also, one thing you have to think about with them not appearing to be widespread is that, like many things on the AR, it all comes down to user preference. I myself like the ladders. Tried the XTMs, they were cool, nice and solid. I'm also partial to KAC covers.

Jellybean
04-25-11, 20:30

My point exactly.:D

Jump into my Index Clip thread.

(buy them! You won't go back to crappy ladder covers again!)

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=78978
That thread was one of two I read that prompted me to start a "VS" thread. Like I said earlier, good looking product with little usage still raised a :confused: for me.

markm
04-25-11, 20:56
That thread was one of two I read that prompted me to start a "VS" thread. Like I said earlier, good looking product with little usage still raised a :confused: for me.

I can't tell you why more people aren't using these. They're superior to anything I've tried and on par with KAC panels.

djegators
04-25-11, 21:08
I see on the Larue site that a set of 72 costs $29.95...how much rail space will that cover?

Byrd
04-25-11, 21:10
I can't tell you why more people aren't using these. They're superior to anything I've tried and on par with KAC panels.

Other than the wire keepers, how are they superior to Falcon ladders?

Byrd
04-25-11, 21:12
I see on the Larue site that a set of 72 costs $29.95...how much rail space will that cover?

At least enough to cover L, R, and B rails on a rifle length forend.

markm
04-25-11, 21:31
Other than the wire keepers, how are they superior to Falcon ladders?

Falcon ladders are junk compared to these. The ladders moosh into the rail slots and offer no protection. The wire looms are no value to me and I don't consider that feature to be of value. In fact, I'd like to cut the wire looms off so those clips cant pull off.

It's the solid protection, feel, flexibility, and even nice look that make the index clips superior.

Byrd
04-25-11, 21:40
Falcon ladders are junk compared to these. The ladders moosh into the rail slots and offer no protection. The wire looms are no value to me and I don't consider that feature to be of value. In fact, I'd like to cut the wire looms off so those clips cant pull off.

It's the solid protection, feel, flexibility, and even nice look that make the index clips superior.

I don't care if my rails gets scratched up, it's just a tool. I wanted something low profile to round over unused rails so gloves/clothes/etc won't snag. The Falcon ladders have a grippy texture that I prefer over something slick like hard ABS. If I ever use a remote switch for a light, I would try the Larue clips.

Skang
04-25-11, 23:55

You already have the answer. Covers 72 slots.

13MPG
04-26-11, 00:43
The wire looms are no value to me and I don't consider that feature to be of value. In fact, I'd like to cut the wire looms off so those clips cant pull off.

Same here. I have no use for the 12 wire clips that come in the set. I gave away the 24 clips I just got but future wire clips are going to be sanded down. I wonder if LaRue would just sub in standard clips if asked.

markm
04-26-11, 08:18
I don't care if my rails gets scratched up, it's just a tool. I wanted something low profile to round over unused rails so gloves/clothes/etc won't snag. The Falcon ladders have a grippy texture that I prefer over something slick like hard ABS. If I ever use a remote switch for a light, I would try the Larue clips.

I don't care about scratching... it's the dings and deformations in the rail slots that I don't want. The clips are much better at taking impact than the ladders. I still run the ladder on the top rail, but the bottom and sides where you're more likely to get damage are better protected with the clips.

ActiveShooter
04-26-11, 10:45
I like the larue clips a lot. Switched over from ladders to those and havent looked back.

BigLarge
12-13-12, 14:00
I hate how most rail covers add bulk - I like a thin profile. Ladder covers are awesome, but dont provide much heat or damage protection.

Index clips are awesome, and IMO the best way for securing your wires. My only complaint is they dont offer much "bite" and adding stateboard tape probably wouldnt work! Cant find a stipling tool anywhere, and that looks like I would take forever anyway! If mark offered stipled index clips i'd jump on them

Korgs130
12-13-12, 22:04
I've tried ladder covers, XTM panels and LaRue Index Clips. The Index Clips are the way to go.

duece71
12-14-12, 06:12
Index clips are a very nice product, I like them. The wire holders are a nice bonus. I like how someone can use as many or as little of them as they want.

Swamp Yankee
12-14-12, 09:16
I am very happy with my Larue Index Clips. I use them in conjunction with the Larue Hand Stop. Excellent comb.

I was not a fan of the texture of them at first, so I have begun stippling all of mine. This is a real pain in the balls, but the outcome is well worth it. I will post some pictures of mine when I can.

TMS951
12-14-12, 09:48
I love my index clips.

They are nice and light, and I love that I am not tied into a set length, this is great for moving them from one rifle to another, or moving around accessories.

The larue hand stop is also excellent.

I do still use the ladder panels on the top rails.

I have never used a rail cover I like better than these, I also see no room for improvement in the design, they are perfect.

edit to add: I also use and love the wire holding feature.

piesandcheese
12-14-12, 10:40
I bought the tin of index clips a few months ago and I love them! They covered most of my Daniel Defense Omega 12 rail. In hindsight, I would have been better off buying two tins and having some left over.

The only downside I have found the the larue clips is that they are very smooth. Not much texture at all and a little oil makes them really slippery. I remedied this by using my soldering iron to stipple the clips where my typical hand placement is. They look pretty cool too.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-iFgAQjEOghM/UAT2iUDNLkI/AAAAAAAAAnQ/eTWHk_gTxRU/s576/DDM4V5-2-web.jpg

BigLarge
12-14-12, 12:58
The only downside I have found the the larue clips is that they are very smooth. Not much texture at all and a little oil makes them really slippery. I remedied this by using my soldering iron to stipple the clips where my typical hand placement is. They look pretty cool too.

Any close-up pics? How well does the soldering iron work vs a wood burning tool?

piesandcheese
12-14-12, 13:03
I don't have pics of the stippling. I did it after I broke out the camera.
I've done stippling on the Larue clips and my Kahr CM9 grip with a soldering iron. I use a sharp pointed tip; nothing fancy. It works great for me.

Fenix1442
12-14-12, 19:45
This may sound dumb but hear me out. Has anyone took the weight of one ladder cover from each brand of the same length? With Larue's index clips you can match any length and make a conclusion of which ladder cover is the lightest and helps protect the rails.

I do like the idea of the index clips but they are so small and so many to cover a section of rail. Most of the PJ's and a few aircrew in my unit run rail covers due to our main weapons getting banged around the helo when not in use. Just last trip we had to replace 7 rail sets due to dumb asses not protecting them.

Any protection is better than no protection:haha:

markm
12-15-12, 08:35
This may sound dumb but hear me out. Has anyone took the weight of one ladder cover from each brand of the same length? With Larue's index clips you can match any length and make a conclusion of which ladder cover is the lightest and helps protect the rails.

There isn't a rail cover that I can remember handling that had any weight worth worrying about.

The clips are so ridiculously light it's not noticeable. I have a 12.0 rail covered in them.

JackFanToM
12-16-12, 17:02
I think hand size also makes a difference. The xtm panels on all 4 rails fit my giant mitts perfect. I've stippled them, and the protection + profile work perfect for me. Makes the quad rail almost perfectly round, and helps me feel in full control of the front end of my rifle.