PDA

View Full Version : M&P Takedown Lever Rust

556A2
04-25-11, 20:22
Finally got a holster for my M&P on Good Friday, so I wore my M&P all during the Easter holiday. However, I took it out tonight only to find the takedown lever had rust all over. Slide & Barrel looked fine.

Luckily, the rust all came off some with CLP & paper towels with no pitting. Just a little discoloration which could be holster wear. I thought the rust issues were taken care of with later M&Ps? This is a 2010 model FWIW, and I don't know if its really worth contacting S&W about it.

Safetyhit
04-25-11, 20:34
I wouldn't worry much about it, but we can understand your concern. Also, I know it's a 2010, but just to be thorough did you buy it new? And have you maintained it well lube-wise overall?

May sound like simple stuff, but its best to know this to a degree in order to get to the next level of advice. I don't own an M&P, but I have seen similar issues with firearms that simply aren't maintained properly.

556A2
04-25-11, 21:52
Bought it used in LN condition. Only a scuff inside the trigger guard, and virtually no wear. 6/17/10 firing date on casing pack. Correctly lubed as it says in the manual. Have not had any rust issues since I've had it, only since I've started to carry it.

Have had no rust issues with my other carry guns (G17, G19, 92FS).

Holster is a horsehide/kydex hybrid like the Crossbreed Supertuck.

I have had some other small issues with this M&P. The very cheap Fed Champion 9mm leaves a strong & shiny lead residue at the end of the rifling. It requires literal scrubbing with a bore brush to get off (doesn't effect accuracy), and the trigger assembly pin has walked a little bit to the left.

Great pistol, but some small issues that are a bit annoying.