PDA

View Full Version : $900 to spend and joining the USMC

C45P312
04-26-11, 08:48
Edit to add:

For those Marines that have posted up and that will post up, Thanks for your service, but I am in no way shape or form a Marine or a future Marine. It was all hypothetically speaking. I am however a Marine Corps federal employee that works at the shooting range located on Camp Allen here in Norfolk. Thats why I have it in my sig line.

So I've got $900 to blow.

I leave for Parris Island in a couple of months.

I've got 4 AR15s and looking to pick up the Giesselle SD-3D for each of my rifles.

Money well spent?

Quentin
04-26-11, 09:10
I'd say no. New triggers should be the last thing on your mind and the last thing you're gonna care about for a long time. Besides, no doubt something bigger and better will be along by the time you can get some use out of the upgrades.

Have a little fun now, life's about to change in a big way! :sarcastic:

And good luck!

Littlelebowski
04-26-11, 09:13
Dude, you're joining the suck? Awesome.

Save the money. You'll need it.

ST911
04-26-11, 09:19
If you're not sure what to do with the money, put it in the bank until you are.

Thank you for your service. Good luck.

Smuckatelli
04-26-11, 09:26

+1....

C45P312
04-26-11, 09:38

No, it's hypothetical. As much as I would like to join the military, it's not in my cards right now. If my current job doesn't pan out by the end of the year, then I'll be going Coast Guard or Navy Officer.

On another forum I'm on, a gentleman dropped $900 on four of those triggers and he also mentioned he's leaving for boot camp in a couple months. Told him that was a dumb and wrong move. If you had to blow it, you should have put it towards some firearms training. Then I got bashed by another guy for taking all these highspeed shooting camps not being in the military or LE. Hell I would have done something fun, gamble it away or road trip of some sort.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
04-26-11, 09:39
save that money so you don't have to finance anything once you get out of bootcamp.

mkmckinley
04-26-11, 09:40
The ONLY thing you need to be worried about right now is conditioning. Get to doing lots of pt, mainly cardio, and get your feet tough.

C45P312
04-26-11, 09:41
save that money so you don't have to finance anything once you get out of bootcamp.

Another great reason right there.

Austin_101
04-26-11, 09:41
First welcome to the Corps! Everyone is giving you great advice save your money for now. You'll be VERY BUSY for the next several months or longer if your comming into Marine aviation our schools are long. Personally I'd hold off until you get to your first duty station and are stable before even looking for upgrades. But for now sve the $$

Austin
MGySgt/USMC

C45P312
04-26-11, 09:44
For those Marines that have posted up and that will post up, I am in no way shape or form a Marine or a future Marine. It was all hypothetically speaking. I am however a Marine Corps federal employee that works at the shooting range located on Camp Allen in Norfolk. Which explains my sig line below.

Tomahawk_Ghost
04-26-11, 09:44
How about the best pair of running shoes money can buy.

crusader377
04-26-11, 09:47
First off, Thank you for stepping up to the plate to defend this country and for your future service.

Second, I would hold off on your purchases and prepare for boot camp.

Finally, If you do want to spend money after your are finished training, I would invest in a carbine course or two to further improve your rifle skills that you learned in the Marines because even though you will learn alot in boot camp and your advanced training, you will probably go overseas sometime during your service in the Marines and I would want to keep as proficient as possible with your assigned weapon.

Smuckatelli
04-26-11, 09:56
For those Marines that have posted up and that will post up, I am in no way shape or form a Marine or a future Marine. It was all hypothetically speaking. I am however a Marine Corps federal employee that works at the shooting range located on Camp Allen in Norfolk. Which explains my sig line below.

Well you're uzen dem dar big words "hypothetically".......sounds like a STD from Phuket of Subic......

I would still save the funds until you figure out what you next career move is going to be.

OT, have you been to the Shoot House at Northwest Cheasapeake? We video flashlite that range about 5 years ago....wondering if the system is still up and working.

Mr. Goodtimes
04-26-11, 09:58
LMAO do people not read?

USMC_monty
04-26-11, 10:00
I would urge the future Boot to avoid taking a tactical shooting course until he enters the fleet.

The Corps will teach you what it wants you to know for shooting in Boot. A class taken prior to Boot will only cause "bad" habits to appear and cause further IT to be preformed.

By "bad" I mean "That's not the way you were taught scumbag, get on my parade deck NOW!" type of habits, not that the training gleaned from a course is not sound.

Wait to take them after boot and MCT/SOI. I was a grunt and I still wish I would have taken "advanced" shooting courses even if I had to foot the bill myself.

Depending on what unit the individual may even have ways to fund the course as a "profession of arms" type training. I'm not sure what programs they offer in that regard but it's worth a shot.

Smuckatelli
04-26-11, 10:14
LMAO do people not read?

Dare ain't no requirement to read.....ya just godda be able to shoot.

Anywho, the title of the thread is enough to give friendly advice without having to read into the post verbatum.

Littlelebowski
04-26-11, 10:40
It's not him, guys. It really is hypothetical.

interfan
04-26-11, 10:40
How about the best pair of running shoes money can buy.

+1 here. Get at least two pairs and use them.

Even though this is a "hypothetical" scenario, the advice still stands.

jsummers
04-26-11, 11:29
Maybe I'm just not getting it, but if the OP isn't joining the Marine Corps and this isn't his money, then why ask the question about a hypothetical situation?

Littlelebowski
04-26-11, 11:32
Maybe I'm just not getting it, but if the OP isn't joining the Marine Corps and this isn't his money, then why ask the question about a hypothetical situation?

Because he wanted our points of view.

Smuckatelli
04-26-11, 11:38

Because it keeps everyone busy until someone comes on and posts how good thier rifle is after firing 50 rounds....:sarcastic:

C45P312
04-26-11, 11:50
OT, have you been to the Shoot House at Northwest Cheasapeake? We video flashlite that range about 5 years ago....wondering if the system is still up and working.
Still there for the most part. But been told it doesn't work as good as it did when it was first installed

Smuckatelli
04-26-11, 12:41
Still there for the most part. But been told it doesn't work as good as it did when it was first installed

If you have the operator's number, PM it to me. Once we transitioned from R&D to operational under RMT....I lost track.

nickh46
04-26-11, 13:09
No, it's hypothetical. As much as I would like to join the military, it's not in my cards right now. If my current job doesn't pan out by the end of the year, then I'll be going Coast Guard or Navy Officer.

I admire your drive, and I wish you the best of luck. Many M4C members have also mirrored this.

I would save that money and prepare for Initial Training. Good pair of running shoes, and some good pushups/situps/pullups will be just dandy. Learn how to workout, get your body into shape.

Mentally, start doing new things, learn a new challenge, do something you normally wouldn't do. Joining the military is an eye opener, and the more you're adaptable and able to flex and change into this new environment, the better you will be over the self-pity "what did I get myself into!!!! :blink:" recruits.

Also, an FYI, if you were seriously looking into the Navy officer programs. The Navy OCS route is closed for two years, I just confirmed that with one of the NRD officer stations.

theblackknight
04-26-11, 16:24
Depending on what unit the individual may even have ways to fund the course as a "profession of arms" type training. I'm not sure what programs they offer in that regard but it's worth a shot.

Thats a big NO. Unless he down the lines ends up on a Msot team, or is FAST or something similer, no way ever. SOTG? Sure. CQB School? Yeah, but outside contractors? Youll have to make it thru ITC course for that stuff.

Ed L.
04-26-11, 16:57

If this is the case, why did you title the thread "$900 to spend and joining the USMC?" Seems a bit deceptive to me.

Ak44
04-26-11, 17:20
I was stationed at Camp Allen for a few years...I would save your money. There's nothing wrong with your single stage mil spec triggers...As stated above save your money for stuff if you do go to Bootcamp for whatever Service.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
04-26-11, 18:23
So, the Marine in question has already spent the money, therefore the OP has no point with this thread, especially in the AR GD section. Why hasn't this been locked?

polymorpheous
04-26-11, 18:32
So, the Marine in question has already spent the money, therefore the OP has no point with this thread, especially in the AR GD section. Why hasn't this been locked?

Good question!
:confused:

cj5_dude
04-26-11, 18:57
For those still replying, please read it all before thanking him for service he hasn't made. It's a useless thread.

Mods, to save you time, the OP posted this asking a question about a situation he heard someone else did and is trying to validate his own thoughts on the opinion he voiced. There's no content to this, please lock it.

Army Chief
04-26-11, 20:16
Done.

AC