PDA

View Full Version : Selling & Shipping an AR lower out of State

panzerr
04-26-11, 10:32
I am getting a migraine trying to sort through the BS on the internet about how to sell and ship a lower I recently sold from my state (MN) to the buyer's state (FL). I trust the community here to point me in the right direction.

From what i understand federal law considers an AR lower receiver to be a firearm.

With that said, Federal law does not require any paperwork or ID for private firearm sales.

So from what I gather as long as state law is followed (in this case, Florida which is the same) you are GTG.

Now, since you do not require any sort of paperwork done, can you ship a lower directly from your residence to the buyer?

SPM14430
04-26-11, 10:39
You cannot ship directly to the out-of-state buyer. Plus why would you want to? You need to cover yourself legally.

Your best best is to ship through an FFL in your state to an FFL in the buyer's state. This way the transfer is documented on both ends.

Or, you may be able to ship directly to the buyer's choice of FFL if the FFL holder accepts shipments from a private individual.

Either way an FFL must be involved in the out-of-state sale.

I'm sure other members will chime in.

Good luck with the sale.

Omega_556
04-26-11, 10:40
If selling out of state, you must ship the firearm to a FFL.

Icculus
04-26-11, 10:43
You are correct that the lower is the actual firearm. Shipping between states you CANNOT ship directly to the buyer unless they are possibly an FFL holder.

More than likely you will need to do one of two things.
1) The buyer will let you know what FFL in Florida he would like to have the lower shipped to. If that dealer in FL will accept shipments from non-FFL's then you can ship it directly to the buyers dealer and call it a day.

2) If the buyers dealer will not accept shipments from non-FFL holders then you will need to take it to one of your local dealers and have them ship it to the buyers dealer in Florida

Hope that helps

EDIT: looks like SPM14430 beat me to it. Dang I type slow

mtdawg169
04-26-11, 10:43
You can ship it to an FFL in FL and the dealer will transfer it to your buyer.

panzerr
04-26-11, 10:44
FFL it is. Thanks all for your input.

espnazi
04-26-11, 10:46
Yeah pretty much it. Tell him to find an FFL that accepts shipments from an individual. This is also the reason I mostly try to to buy FTF or in-state plus my all the local FFLs I know charge outrageous fees.

The_Count
04-26-11, 10:56
To tie into this thread how would you typically handle the money?

mike_556
04-26-11, 11:14
To tie into this thread how would you typically handle the money?

For a firearm? IF I were to sell one it'd be USPS MO. That way we both are theoretically covered.

panzerr
04-26-11, 11:25
Confirmation from the ATF's website:

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/unlicensed-persons.html